HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Progesterone after hysterectomy? Progesterone after hysterectomy?

Unread 04-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Progesterone after hysterectomy?

Hi sisters--

I was wondering if anyone had experience with progesterone after a hysterectomy and removal of ovaries. I have been reading about the wonderful benefit of GOOD SLEEP with progesterone, but also have heard that after a hysterectomy progesterone is not usually prescribed. I am on bioidentical estrogen (pellets), but don't know if progesterone would be OK for me too, since I don't have a uterus anymore. I would appreciate any information or your own experiences on this.

Yana
Unread 04-15-2006, 03:56 PM

I was told by my doc that the only reason you need progesterone is to enrich the lining, but I'm not buying that. I'm heavier and am estrogen dominant anyhow. I would think that some progesterone would be needed to put me back in "balance". That was the gyn/onc that said that. I haven't broached the subject with my ob/gyn yet.
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Progesterone is usually given with estrogen for HRT for women with a uterus to prevent uterine cancer, but since we don't have a uterus, it's not necessary for that function. But it does have many other functions in our bodies, and supplementation may make sense for you. However, progesterone can have many negative side effects (including increased risk of breast cancer), so if you do decide to pursue it, do be cautious. A lot of stuff floats around the web (courtesy of Dr Lee) about what a miracle hormone it is--but like any other hormone, it needs to be treated with great respect.

This website has the most complete information on getting your hormones right after a hysterectomy.

Good luck!
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Hi Yana My impression is that DRs get confused when they read that it's necessary to balance estrogen replacement with some type of progestin (such as natural progesterone) in women with a uterus. They interpret that to mean that if you don't have a uterus anymore, you don't need (or, even worse, shouldn't use) progesterone. Well... not enough is known about all the things the hormones, including progesterone, do in the body.

In a woman with ovaries, besides helping control endometrial thickness, progesterone is used as a precursor hormone, to make testosterone and estrogen. In women using estrogen (and testosterone too, for that matter) replacement, the amount of progesterone needed is less, since we don't need it as a source of estrogen for symptom relief - we're getting that from our ERT. In addition, we can make progesterone from dietary cholesterol, though some of us are more efficient at that than others depending on how much cholesterol we're taking in and how much of the necessary enzymes we have. So, some of us may not need any additional progesterone, and may, in fact, feel lousy if we add it, because it gives us too much; while others may need to add some progesterone to feel their best.

I think, that since we all feel best at different levels of the hormones, it makes a lot of sense to go by how we feel rather than trying to achieve some particular level of any given hormone. So, if you feel you have symptoms that progesterone would help with, I'd think that trying it might be a good idea; you could always discontinue it if it doesn't help, or makes things worse.

There is also a group of women who imho need to use progesterone after a hysterectomy regardless of symptoms... those are women with a history of severe endo. It's almost impossible for a surgeon to get every tiny bit of endo during surgery, and using progesterone can inhibit the remaining bits from re-growing (yes, they can do that) in the presence of estrogen either from ERT, from our own production in abdominal fat cells, or made by the endo itself (even more shockingly, yes, it can do that, too). Women with a history of certain types of female cancer are often encouraged to use it for the same reason.... to balance estrogen, which if unopposed would increase their chances of recurrence.

I have gone back and forth on progesterone use in the four years since my hysterectomy/BSO. I started out on estrogen alone, which imho is usually a good idea since it's easier to find the right dosage of estrogen if you're not also manipulating other hormone levels. After a few months, I tried lowering my estrogen dosage, and then added some progesterone because I'd read it can make the estrogen receptors more sensitive and responsive to lower estrogen doses. Well... it was a disaster. Turns out, if your estrogen level is too low, all the progesterone does is compete with it for receptors, which means what little estrogen you have is even LESS effective. My symptoms went crazy at that point, so up went the estrogen and away went the progesterone.

A couple of years later I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After that, I started putting just a little bit of progesterone on each breast at night, as I read about in Dr. Lee's book, "What Your Doctor Might Not Tell You About Breast Cancer". Since the amount is small, and it barely gets past the breasts, it's not a problem for me.

One last interesting fact about women and progesterone after a hyst... there was a study at one point that showed that women who had bad problems with PMS before their hysterectomies/BSO's tend to respond well to using progesterone afterwards, while those who never had much trouble with PMS do not, and may feel worse on it. Coincidentally (?), I never did have PMS... so my own personal experience supports the study conclusion.

I hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Progesterone after hysterectomy

Thank you, sisters, for your replies. It seems there's a lot to consider concerning progesterone after a hysterectomy. The sleep-inducing effects seem so desirable, but on the other hand, I can see problems with progresterone as well. Something to think about for sure. Thanks, everyone--Yana
Unread 04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Progesterone cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisukas
Thank you, sisters, for your replies. It seems there's a lot to consider concerning progesterone after a hysterectomy. The sleep-inducing effects seem so desirable, but on the other hand, I can see problems with progresterone as well. Something to think about for sure. Thanks, everyone--Yana
Hello! Im 4 weeks post op and started Progesterone cream a week ago after waking up with sausage fingers & piggy face for 3 days. I feel too good on the Viville dot .1 so didnt want to lower that dosage, so added 1/4 tsp of cream nightly for a week...worked the 1st day, piddled like a race horse! Now a week out and no edema to be seen! As far as helping me sleep...man does it work! It also helped lift the brain fog! Good Luck!
Unread 04-16-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamessusan333
Hello! Im 4 weeks post op and started Progesterone cream a week ago after waking up with sausage fingers & piggy face for 3 days. I feel too good on the Viville dot .1 so didnt want to lower that dosage, so added 1/4 tsp of cream nightly for a week...worked the 1st day, piddled like a race horse! Now a week out and no edema to be seen! As far as helping me sleep...man does it work! It also helped lift the brain fog! Good Luck!
So what kind of progesterone cream are you using? Is it a prescription or something I can get at a health food store?
Unread 04-17-2006, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish12
So what kind of progesterone cream are you using? Is it a prescription or something I can get at a health food store?
Im using MenoCream, can be found at any pharmacy but here on Hystersisters I see gals who like ProGest which I have seen at Wild Oats and Whole Foods stores. Just make sure what you pick up has the progesterone listed as USP. My Menocream says 960 mg of progesterone per 2 oz. I rub 1/4 teaspoon on my forearms nightly. The first day I wanted relief from the edema in my fingers and put it on mid-day, I was in la la land for most of the afternoon so be sure to put it on at night! Very sedating to me.
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:36 AM

"""""Progesterone Cream- $5.86
USP Natural Progesterone Cream. Made to Dr. Lee's specifications. <<Oops! Please don't link commercial websites.>>"""""""

Has anyone purchased this from OneLifeUSA? From all that I've read, most women have indicated you "get what you pay for" but this ad states it is USP progesterone, 500 mg per ounce and adheres to Dr. Lee's recommendations for progseterone. The price is so much lower than all the others, it's difficult not to be suspicious. Just wondered if anyone has used their products and specifically this progesterone cream. Thanks!
Unread 04-17-2006, 12:20 PM

I think doctors are talking about progestin when they talk about the side effects which is not bio identical. From reading Dr. Lees book he recommends progesterone cream. Which you can find on the internet, GNC or compounding pharmacy. Prometrium is bio identical and is the oral form. It works really good for sleep and it helped me with my brain fog.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway