HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Progesterone and Fibroids Progesterone and Fibroids

Unread 04-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Progesterone and Fibroids

Hi! I am due to start Prometrium for 12 days at my next cycle. I am trying to shrink the fibroids since I am convinced I am "estrogen dominant". I have a six month size uterus. My main question is (please don't laugh at me! )if this works and the fibroids shrink, how long until the uterus also shrinks? Does it shrink as soon as the fibroids do? Just the thought of it so big in there bothers me-last month at my last gyn visit the dr showed me how high up it is, over my navel, and I could feel it pushing up. I am not totally against surgery, in fact I think it would be a relief, but I just have NO TIME to be "out of order" right now. Anything that can delay the inevitable a little is a big help. I have heard of progesterone/Prometrium helping shrink fibroids, has anyone else had this experience? Thanks! Emily
Unread 04-22-2006, 01:08 AM

Hi Emily The use of progesterone to treat fibroids is a bit controversial. I have read a lot about progesterone cream being used for that purpose, to very uneven success, but I have not seen anything about using oral progesterone (such as Prometrium) to shrink fibroids.

Here are a couple of links with more information:

http://www.fibroid101.com/fail.htm

http://www.fibroid101.com/dose.htm

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/ar.../fibroids.html

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Natural Progesterone

Hello.
I wanted to let you know that I have used natural progesterone cream for two years. I was mostly able to control my symptoms of endo with high doses of it. I have never tried prometrium. Trying it might be worthwhile. Good Luck. My problems suddenly reappeared after a long course of success with the cream. I am scheduled for a LAVH Thursday. No regrets.
Unread 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Natural Progesterone Cream

Hi,

What is the name of the natural progesterone cream? I live in the UK and wouldn't mind trying it for my fibroids. I know it doesn't work for everyone but it is worth a try.

Thanks

Francine
Unread 04-23-2006, 06:12 AM
Progesterone cream

Francine,
I used Pro Gest, made by Emerita. You can order it online. I found the book by John Lee, What your doctor will not tell you about pre menopause, very enlightening and began using the cream. It was miraculous after 2 months. You can also call a compounding pharmacy and ask them about what they offer.
Good Luck! It just might do the trick. Best Wishes.
Unread 04-23-2006, 07:00 AM

Ok..I'm estrogen dominant too! I had a fibroid 5 years ago..I took Prometrium and it did not go away. Well today I have 3 medium size fibroids and a whole bunch of little ones(too numerous to count). It didn't shrink the uterus either.
I and the doctor think the hysterectomy will be the best thing.
Now just b/c I went through this experience doesn't mean that yours will be the same as mine.
Try it and see if it works for you..if not you do have other options. All the other options didn't work for me.
Unread 05-06-2006, 09:22 PM

Hopefully you will be able to tell if it works for you - I've used a natural progesterone cream and a highly potent bioidentical cream from pharmacy. In tiny doses, it still caused MORE bleeding and a longer period (almost unstoppable). In high dose, I became incredibly "hormonal" in addition to increased bleeding.

It was not for me, and I was convinced I had an abundance of estrogen. I do think it can work for some people though, but you should know soon enough if things are getting better or worse.

-k.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.