HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Question about sex drive if ovaries are removed Question about sex drive if ovaries are removed

Unread 04-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Question about sex drive if ovaries are removed

I have to have a Hyst in the next fews weeks waiting on a date. My question is, do I keep my ovaries or have them taken out I am 51 and I know I will be on the menopause soon. But I have heard that if you have your ovaries taken out you lose your sex drive, can anyone who has had their ovaries taken out give me there thoughts. Thanks
Unread 04-27-2006, 06:34 PM

I had a TAH/BSO........... Very definitely still have my sex drive and everything still works fine.... I am 49 yrs old........
Unread 04-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Hi!

This is a good question. If your ovaries are healthy, why not opt to keep them? They provide you with the hormones you need, and they're free! You might be interested to know that even after menopause ovaries produce beneficial hormones.

I wasn't able to keep my ovaries and yes, my sex drive plummeted down to nothing. Fortunately for me, I was able to regain it by carefully balancing my hormones. Not all women are so fortunate. The loss of sex drive may not happen immediately, either. Often women don't start having problems for months, and when the hormones made by their ovaries are depleted, the problems can start if the aren't using the right hormone therapy. Finding that right balance can be frustrating. It can take a lot of time, patience, trial and error. Unfortunately, prescribing hormone therapy isn't an exact science.

This is definitely worth discussing with your doctor. I'm sure you will do what is best for you!

s
Unread 04-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Hi Angelmoon,

I agree...are you possilby a candidate to keep your ovaries?? I was 46 at the time of my hyst and my ovaries were healthy. My Dr. left the decision up to me. I read that the ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair, to name a few. I also did (3) months of lupron shots prior to my surgery to shrink my fibroids enough for a less invasive hyst. The lupron caused ~temporary~ chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats and I lost interest in sex. The lupron really helped me with my decision. I wanted to go through natural menopause since I was a good candidate.

The ovaries are a very personal decision and don't worry...you will make the right choice.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 04-28-2006, 09:00 AM

I kept my ovaries, too... I was 44 when I had my surgery and the doctor said I had 10 years of good hormone production left. As the other (((sisters))) have mentioned, ovaries continue to secrete hormones after menopause, just at a lower level, and the hormones aid in the health of many different systems in the body.

Of course, even if you keep your ovaries, there's no guarantee that they will continue to function after surgery. In my case, so far so good.

Also, whether or not you keep your ovaries, your sex drive may suffer after surgery. There are many variables associated with sex drive and response other than hormones.
Unread 04-28-2006, 08:47 PM

I had a tah/bso at the end of March so far I can tell you my sex drive hasn't changed at all.
Unread 04-29-2006, 02:47 AM

I had my ovaries out, but kept my cervix. I think my sex drive is even better now! I'm also 51. I have a low dose patch and life is good. I haven't even needed any artificial lube.

Keeping your ovaries is a very personal decision. Mine were cystic, and I don't think they were working very well anyway. My doc told me I could keep them, and then be back in a year or so to have them out. Forget that! One surgery is enough.
Unread 04-29-2006, 07:28 AM

I am a little older, 54. I had my ovaries removed, I think I was in peri before. Dr said one was still functional, I was still having periods, what did he expect. Anyway, so far still VERY interested in sex. Hope it stays that way.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.