HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Weepy and Hurting Weepy and Hurting

Unread 04-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Weepy and Hurting

I'm beginning to feel like one of those whiny patients that I dread taking care of. I can't stop weeping, the catheter hurts and my bum is killing me. I'm trying to only take the Motrin 600 because I think it's the pain medication that's making me nuts. I want to take this catheter out myself because it's burning. I'm nauseous and lightheaded and I can't eat or drink anything because I feel like vomiting. Not that it's a bad thing, but I've lost 5 pounds since Monday. It's a sunny, breezy day and I can't even go outside on my deck to enjoy it because I can't seem to get comfortable. And when any of my family hugs me I start to cry.
Michelle
Unread 04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Weepy and Hurting

Candyapplelady,
It's perfectly fine for you to vent to your "sisters". Who else can really understand that sometimes you just can't take anymore. Thanks for your reply to me the other day. I really think of all I had done at the same time, the A&P was the hardest to recover from. How long will you have to keep your catheter? As much as I did not like the suprapubic catheter, in some ways I think it was easier than the urethral one. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep posting so I can keep up with you.
Unread 04-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Weepy and Hurting

Sorry today hasn't been a better day for you. I just wanted to check in with you and let you know that I am thinking of you and hoping you are feeling better soon! Know that we are all supporting you!
Unread 04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Weepy and Hurting

(((Michelle)))
All I can offer is hugs, but you have a prayer from me too that things will soon look up. I'm sorry you are feeling so awful today. Any of us would be feeling weepy under these circumstances. I hope this will all be better soon.
's,Rita
Unread 04-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Weepy and Hurting

Michelle,
Are you sure you don't have an infection? Do you have one of those leg things to keep the foley from pulling? I had 2 kinds - one hurt and the other one had 2 velcro straps and stopped it from pulling down. If you don't have one like that, try to rig up something to stop it from pulling down. Also did your doctor say you could sit on a donut ring? After my spincter surgery, I couldn't sit for over a month, but on that ring (looked like a kids blow up innertube) I could.
Try to drink something, maybe the medicine is upsetting your stomach and making a viscous *sp cycle. You need your strength, you know that as a nurse. Maybe something with electrolytes will make you feel better. I wish I could help you. I can send you major Hugs. I'll try to check back in later.
Unread 04-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Weepy and Hurting

Michelle, {{{Hugs}}}, +++ thoughts, and from me, too. Wish I could offer more. Have you been told how long you might have to keep the dratted catheter in? Maybe you can call your doctor and go in earlier to get it removed? I thought self-cathing was even easier than having the catheter kept in and you might want to ask your if you can give that a try if you are having any residuals (just a thought). Hope you Feel Better ASAP ......
Unread 04-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Weepy and Hurting

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support. I can tell you I definitely felt better emotionally after the hysterectomy than this time around. The rectal and vaginal pain is tolerable, it's my urethra that is burning and irritated. The queasiness and nausea is what is keeping me from eating and drinking so now my urine is concentrated and has a few small clots in it. I'm trying to sip but I'm so afraid to vomit and everything I try to eat just turns my stomach.
I haven't taken any Oxycodone today because I'm afraid that's what is making me nuts, as Codeine has that affect on me. I am taking the prescription Motrin, the Colace and the antibiotic at bedtime. I try to take the Motrin with a cracker or two and today I've had an English muffin and a couple of spoons of soup.
For the catheter I have what I call the suitcase and the travel bag. I use the Foley with the leg bag during the day and the regular bag that hangs on the bed at night. But I find that any movement pulls at the urethra and causes burning no matter what bag I am using.
I am counting the minutes until this thing comes out and then praying I can pee on my own. 's
Michelle
Unread 04-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Weepy and Hurting

Michelle,
Maybe the Antibiotic is making your stomach upset. I hope you feel better in the morning. Make sure you secure that foley with lots of slack so it doesn't pull. Hope you get it out first thing Monday. Hugs.
Unread 05-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Weepy and Hurting

I wore the dreaded foley for awhile. I hated it! I could NOT sit up at all, I spent most of my time laying in bed. My urethra bled, the pain was horrible.I lost a total of 25lbs... it comes back.lol If ever again... I am buying a recliner. I did force myself to drink 10 glasses of water a day.. and I do mean force, I hated water, I took it like medicine...4 ozs every 30 minutes. I never got an infection and it helped the bladder pain and spasms. Anyway... the one thing I found that was very useful was a garter type leg strap. It holds the tube still, but doesn't irritate like tape, but if you haven't tried either, tape that tube to your thigh fairly high up, make sure you leave enough tube above the tape so that it doesn't tug when you sit or bend over. You could call the local medical supply store to see if they have any garter straps. I got mine in the hospital from a nurse who was trying to get me to walk around. It really helps when you are walking. Just a thought.....

I hope you feel better soon! Hang in there! Talk to your doc.

CJ
Unread 05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Weepy and Hurting

I had the foley Sat when I came home from having my sling released and by Sun morning had taken it out myself and started self cathing. Much easier for me and my urogyn said either way is fine. I took him up on it..I hate having attachments to my body.
Sherry

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.