Internal Stitches leaking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Internal Stitches leaking Internal Stitches leaking

Unread 05-01-2001, 07:25 AM
Internal Stitches leaking

I have not posted before (just absorbing all the wonderful information on this site ). I had a TAH/BSO w/appendectomy on April 2. My recovery had been just wonderful until last Monday . Noticied that my incision was getting infected. Called DD and they told me to hot pack, hot pack, hot pack. By Friday I was really feeling icky and incision was getting very tender. Saturday a.m. when I got out of bed - I felt something trickle down my leg (GREAT - now my bladder gave out - so I thought) until I got there and my DS let out a scream. I had blood all down my legs (Vaginal gusher). And my DD is now on vacation - his timing is perfect. Called another Dr who met me at ER. I have a slight staph infection - which he gave me medication for and he checked internal stitches. Happy to say they are intact but I am leaking. He sent me home with orders to stick to the couch and call DD when he returns. I have appt with DD on Thursday p.m. Has anyone else experienced this gush? I'm very scared - the bleeding for the most part is down to just spotting as long as I spend most of the time laying down but this is really getting old (I know I must do it tho)
Sorry to ramble on -

Toni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2001, 08:15 AM

Hi there, I did not experience this post op, but I just wanted to repeat what the dr said, rest, rest, and rest some more and please stay in close contact with the dr's office......if you feel that something has changed or you just don't feel right call them right away.....I'm glad that your own dr is going to see you on Thursday please let us know what he says and remember, rest!!
Unread 05-01-2001, 10:17 AM

I didn't suffer this, but please do what they tell you and come back and let us know how you're doing when you see the doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2001, 10:23 AM

Dear Toni,

Is the blood bright red or dark brown? Dark brown is ok, it's *old* blood.

Drink plenty of fluids, keep resting, but DO walk around some when you are up. Watch your temperature, and do NOT hesitate to call your doc-on-call or the ER if things progress downhill.

Sending HUGE cyberhugs
Unread 05-01-2001, 10:40 AM

Hi Twyla - In answer to your question - the blood is bright red. Prior to all this happening - I had a lite pinkish discharge. This is new blood.

Toni
Unread 05-03-2001, 04:36 PM

Great News I had my check up this afternoon and all went well with the exception of my DD didnot know that I had been in the ER on Saturday. The hospital failed to get him the report . Anyway, the staph infection is healing very very well. The gush of blood was caused by a hematoma, which he says was my body's response to dealing with the drainage. And the internal stitches are no longer leaking - he figures that with the dissolvable ones healing, there is bound to be a little leakage. Everything appears to be healing beautifully. However, he will not talk about when I can return to work. We will talk about it in two weeks. Oh well...
Thank you to all for being so wonderful and letting me cry on your shoulders.

Toni
Unread 05-04-2001, 10:48 AM

Dear Toni,

Congrats on a good doc report. Now keep pampering yourself

Sending cyberhugs!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register