HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

If your incision is seeping, weeping or... If your incision is seeping, weeping or...

Unread 05-04-2006, 02:29 AM
If your incision is seeping, weeping or...

anything of that sort please go to your doctor. It is more than likely an infection. I got up the other day to a flood of nasty stuff on my clothing. I showered and then called the doctor. He put me on antibiotics right away and has me putting peroxide on the area that is doing this. Also I have to use heat compression so that it continues to flow as he wants all of this stuff to come out. I use a heating pad.

This infection is a set back for me. I was feeling somewhat better and then this. I still have no appetite but that's ok by me because I have lost some weight and need to lose weight. LOL.

The incision looked fine when he took out the staples and then a few days this happened. Yuck!!!

I have a wonderful doctor that always tells me if I need anything to just give him a call.
Unread 05-04-2006, 03:27 AM

I had a large gush of fluid, with continued leaking, after my hysterectomy. It even broke open my incision a couple of inches!! Mine was not an infection, it was clear, yellowish fluid called a seroma. Kind of your body's way of filling in a gap. I had 2 doctors, due to colon surgery at the same time. My gyn had me doing peroxide. My colon doctor said to STOP that "old fashioned" practice, which just kills new cell growth. It seemed to start healing then! She also assured me that it wasn't an infection, and just to keep it covered with clean materials, and that showering was fine to have the soap and water run down the opening. Then in a couple of weeks, she steri-stripped it shut.
Unread 05-05-2006, 02:18 AM

This was an infection complete with fever and chills. All I am saying is go to the doctor. I've seen several posts about oozing incisions and am worried that people may not think it's a big deal. By the way, I already had steri strips on when this happened.
Unread 05-05-2006, 01:51 PM

My incision healed beautifully for the first two weeks. In fact, I felt so good that I overdid. I walked several miles a day and carried my (small, 10 lbs.) dog when she got tired. I guess the carrying and exercise was too much, and my incision opened at both ends. I suffered for five days before I finally went to the doctor. I thought I could make it better by myself. By then, the incision site was pretty badly infected. My doctor said to use mild soap and water only, many times a day. She said the hydrogen peroxide that I had been using probably made things worse. After a week of plain soap and water, she added saline solution and also hot compresses to the regime. She kept the wounds open to drain. Five weeks, three courses of antibiotics, and much cleansing later, my incision is finally healed! I learned the hard way not to ignore my symptoms--pain and redness and oozing from the incision. Smilinfaces, I hope you are doing better, physically and mentally. I, too, was disappointed with the setback and extra healing time. Absolutely, anyone who notices seeping or oozing should not wait but contact their doctor right away. It may turn out to be nothing major, but if it is, it's much better to catch it soon than let it develop into a bad infection.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.