HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Clear liquid diet suggestions?? Clear liquid diet suggestions??

Unread 05-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Clear liquid diet suggestions??

What are some things you can have wih the clear liquid diet. Tomorrow I have to be on clear liquids after 12:00 noon & then have to drink the nasty stuff at 6:00 pm for my bowel prep. I have already made 3 kinds of jello. Not a fan of it, but I guess it will do if I'm hungry enough. Is there anything else that I can actually eat with some substance to it?? I know I'll be starving. Nerves or not....my appetite is always around!
Unread 05-07-2006, 01:45 PM

hope this helps; you have to get creative! I had beef boullion and let crackens soften way day and DH thought of this one- make Top Ramen and remove noodles because it has alot more flavor...that was my "dinner". It also helped me to stay in a different room while DH ate so I didn't smell anything good. Some gals didn't have to do the extra long bowel prep (no solids day before and day of) but I did and it is torture especially the next morning (AM of surgery) and you can't even drink...now that is torture! I lost about 5 pounds by day after surgery. You'd think you could eat a horse after surgery but really just want ice chips to suck on from the dryness. Best of luck to you..see you on the other side.
Unread 05-07-2006, 01:50 PM

I did the same thing with top ramen, removing the noodles. It made me feel like I was eating something real, other then jello and popsicles.
Just make sure your family doesn't walk in eating something good. My daughter decided to eat strawberries in front of me, commenting on how yummy they were, as I sat there waiting for my next dance wiht the the proceline gods. I wanted to smack her...nicely of course.LOL!
Good luck.
Unread 05-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Strained miso soup, or boxed chicken or beef broth work well. I had to do three days and THEN a gallon of GoLytely the afternoon before, w/nothing but water afterward. I also drank green tea and ate LOTS of Popsicles!

Best of luck to you

Audrey
Unread 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the ideas Ladies...I really appreciate it. My gosh Audrey!!! You poor thing....1/2 day of clear liquids is enough for me. Can't imagine 3 days...Yikes! I haven't heard of Miso soup. Is that in the regular soup aisle or is it a specialty thing?
Unread 05-07-2006, 03:25 PM

If you eat popsicles, make sure they are not the red ones. I've always been advised to avoid red kool aid, jello and juices when I've had to do a liquid diet.
Unread 05-07-2006, 03:36 PM

Hi Leapyear4,
You have my sympathies regarding the bowel prep! I have not had to do BP for my 2 surgeries, but recall how horrid it was 14.5 years ago when I had to have a colonoscopy!
I'm not sure if I am breaking any rules, but I googled 'clear liquid diet' and found a site which give a few ideas. I hope it helps.
http://www.mesothelioma-aid.org/clear-liquid.htm

Take care and God bless you.
Unread 05-07-2006, 04:31 PM

You can get instant miso in the Asian food section of most markets. You can also buy the miso itself in some markets in the deli section next to other Asian foods (I'm in Los Angeles, so it's around everywhere).

About the "red stuff" -- red dye stains the tissues, and is mostly a problem with colonoscopies; it can look like blood-stained tissue when they get in there. Check with your own doctor, of course, but mine OK'd any color for me.

My clear liquid diet was unusually long for two reasons: my GYN-oncologist did a full bowel prep, thinking that my endometriosis might necessitate some bowel work as well (as it had done in the past); and two, my surgery was postponed for a day, so I had to keep it up an extra day.

I actually got nothing to eat for a few days afterward, either; it took my bowels a bit of time to wake up, especially after such a prolonged period of nothing but ice chips and clear liquids!

Audrey

P.S. If you do get the miso, you need to strain it well; I used a fine-mesh strainer to get the solids out. It still has a lot of protein, though!
Unread 05-07-2006, 06:46 PM

Thank you all so much.....
Snowflake, you're awesome for looking that up for me. If my brain was fully awake, I probably would have done the same thing. Of course, I'm in ZOMBIE mode - so my fingers are working to type, other than that - Forget it!!!
Well...my menu now consists of more than jello anyway (such as it is). Tip your glasses & bottoms up!!!
Unread 05-08-2006, 06:04 AM

Hi Leapyear4,
You are very welcome! My brain goes into neutral on occasions and the obvious eludes me too! Hehehehe.
I looked at some more sites, and the one I have posted below, suggests you can eat clear hard candy...presumably they mean things like barley sugar??? This would probably help when you wanted something with a bit of crunch or just wanted to give your jaw some exercise.

http://www.gastromd.com/diets/clearliquid.html

You are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you and your loved ones.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.