HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When did you start wearing your own panties? When did you start wearing your own panties?

Unread 05-09-2006, 03:56 PM
When did you start wearing your own panties?

Crazy question, but I had to know..
I have some from the hospital but they aren't going to last and I really didn't want to go out and buy some and then not wear them anymore. My tummy has gone down some.
Will my panties cause strain if I wear them?
Unread 05-09-2006, 04:00 PM

I went out and bought about 5-6 pr. in 2 sizes larger. I had an abdominal surgery, so I was VERY concious of anything going across those staples and incision. I am just now, at just over 4 wks, getting into my regular panties. Even then, if I do too much, the waistband bothers my belly. Today for the first time since surgery I wore zip-up jeans!!!
Unread 05-09-2006, 04:09 PM

I agree... my regular underwear didn't ever bother me much (bikini styles might have, though) even right after surgery. But pants with zippers were NOT a good thing for quite a while, especially jeans because the zippers fold into a bulky lump and push in right in the wrong place

If the underwear you have isn't skin-tight, try and see. you'll know pretty quickly if you need to get a larger size
Unread 05-09-2006, 04:28 PM

I wore my own panties and jean capris home from the hospital.
But i had TVH so that helped I am sure.

43y/o, TVH after failed ablation, multiple large polyps, significant bleeding since Jan
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:23 PM

I have been wearing the same panties I always wear, and don't feel I need a larger size. Just watch out that they aren't rubbing anywhere you have an incision. I have even been in regular jeans that fit a little loose so it doesn't bind any where. I was amazed I could wear them so soon. Hope you are doing well and feel closer to an 8 or 9 or even 10 on a scale of 1-10. I remember you said you felt like a 6 the day after you got home
Unread 05-09-2006, 05:38 PM

I've been wearing my regular panties all along. My incision is the bikini/c-section scar one so I didn't need other panties. Jeans were a different story. I wore elastic waist pants, mostly sweats and jammie bottoms.
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:03 PM

I, too, wore my own panties right away. My bikinis didn't bother my incision; I did have a bikini incision though! I stayed in pj's or sweats for almost 6 weeks, unless I had to. This was mostly because I had a catheter for 4 weeks and then a stent removal at 5 weeks. I was able to wear my normal jeans right after that nasty business was over with! LOL My friend had a vertical incision just 3 weeks ago, and she was able to wear her jeans the next week. That's a tough lady!!
Unread 05-09-2006, 06:21 PM

Don't wear 'em.
I haven't worn panties in years. I used to wear thongs but not for quite some time. I hate panties. I wear my jeans. To protect the incision I put a panty liner over the area and use surgical tape (cloth) to secure. Stays on great and comes off clean.
I know - weird - but that's me.
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:21 PM

I am 12 days post op and had to start wearing panties becuase I have had some pinkish discharge (dr says thats normal) and was wearing a pad. I just kept using the old "period" undies. They seem to aggravate my tummy at times, so I just adjust them. I have the bikini incision and am also a bit on the heavier side so I just make sure to keep them off the incision area.
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM

I wore the hospital mesh panties for about 3 weeks. My dh would throw them in the wash and they came out ok. Good luck! Carolyn

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.