HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Those w/ enlarged uterus, did your belly shrink Those w/ enlarged uterus, did your belly shrink

Unread 05-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Those w/ enlarged uterus, did your belly shrink

Right now my uterus is the size of a 16week pg woman (Ive always had a slighltly enlarged uterus but it got bigger with my last two)

Anyway with all these stories about swollen bellies, I was wondering if you can even tell a diff. At first I thot..WOW I'll be able to fit in my skinny jeans again. But after reading how your swolled up for a couple months maybe I shouldn't have high expectations?
Unread 05-12-2006, 06:17 AM

LOL, my lower abdomen did not shrink for nearly six months because of the swelling and fluid. It is just now beginning to go down some. It varies with different women, though. My sister had a huge tumor removed along with her uterus, and her belly did shrink immediately, but hers was a lot larger than mine.
Unread 05-12-2006, 06:31 AM

Different women have different experiences with "swelly belly".

Mine stuck around for about 2 months...........now I am just left with "belly".
Unread 05-12-2006, 07:33 AM

I had a 14-week uterus and I couldn't even see it before the surgery. I am fairly thin, but have always had a little rounded belly -- not fat, it is just my shape.I could feel my uterus if I pushed on my belly, but that freaked me out, so I only did it a couple of times! After my LSH-BSO, I was only swollen for about two weeks. Now my belly looks about the same, except a little flabbier because I didn't exercise for a couple of months before the surgery (I was too busy, in too much pain, and too freaked out) and have only just started exercizing again. So I have to say having my big uterus removed didn't make any difference in how I look. But how I feel! Yep! No more lower back pain! No more needing to pee every three seconds! No more cramps for 10 days before my period!

Melissa
Unread 05-12-2006, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynterSnow
LOL, my lower abdomen did not shrink for nearly six months because of the swelling and fluid. It is just now beginning to go down some. It varies with different women, though. My sister had a huge tumor removed along with her uterus, and her belly did shrink immediately, but hers was a lot larger than mine.

Can I ask a personal question?

About how big was her uterus.....or how 'far along' did she appear?

I ask because I am a small framed woman, so w/ an enlarged uterus I look pg, unlike if I was already heavyset to begin with...my belly would most likely be proportioned with the rest of my body. Guess what I'm trying to ask, is if it makes a diff with small framed women vs a bigger framed woman?

Thanks
Unread 05-12-2006, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meljo
I had a 14-week uterus and I couldn't even see it before the surgery. I am fairly thin, but have always had a little rounded belly -- not fat, it is just my shape.I could feel my uterus if I pushed on my belly, but that freaked me out, so I only did it a couple of times! After my LSH-BSO, I was only swollen for about two weeks. Now my belly looks about the same, except a little flabbier because I didn't exercise for a couple of months before the surgery (I was too busy, in too much pain, and too freaked out) and have only just started exercizing again. So I have to say having my big uterus removed didn't make any difference in how I look. But how I feel! Yep! No more lower back pain! No more needing to pee every three seconds! No more cramps for 10 days before my period!

Melissa

Thanks. You posteed thesame time I did. I know my belly will NEVER be flat again, especially after having 3 c/s and now a hyster, I guess I was just hoping to see a notable difference. I can also feel my uterus when I push on my belly, and YES I'm tired of having to go pee often too!!
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:19 AM

My Dr never told me I had a large uterus but he did go on and on about the adhesions and scar tissue and I've noticed that my tummy is a little smaller. I had an LSH three weeks ago. I only had minimal swelly belly aftwards also.
Unread 05-12-2006, 11:40 AM

I am a size 8, but have had the little "pooch" under my belly button that has grown a little with each pregnancy, and I got a pleasant surprise when I stood up the first time to walk to the bathroom at the castle. I looked down at my tummy expecting it to look bigger with the swelling and it was actually smaller! In fact, even when I had the swelly belly and I have it in the evenings still, it is still smaller. I was not aware that my uterus was about 20-week size, partially because it was tipped so far back, and it has taken about half the size of my tummy away. I still have a little crescent of fat there, but I am VERY happy with the way it looks!
Unread 05-12-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatzie
I am a size 8, but have had the little "pooch" under my belly button that has grown a little with each pregnancy, and I got a pleasant surprise when I stood up the first time to walk to the bathroom at the castle. I looked down at my tummy expecting it to look bigger with the swelling and it was actually smaller! In fact, even when I had the swelly belly and I have it in the evenings still, it is still smaller. I was not aware that my uterus was about 20-week size, partially because it was tipped so far back, and it has taken about half the size of my tummy away. I still have a little crescent of fat there, but I am VERY happy with the way it looks!

Thanks! It's nice to hear that at least one persons belly went down. I'm size 7-9 so maybe there's hope for me
Unread 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM

I had my surgery on April 20th. My uterus was that of the size of a 20 week pregnant uterus. I am about a size 7 -9. I, as well as my friends and family noticed that I was indeed slimmer after the surgery. I still have "swelly belly" but I definitely can say my belly is flatter than before the surgery.

peachieC

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway