HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Cuff Stitches Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Unread 05-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

My Dr told me my stitches were not dissolved yet and I am six weeks post op today. He told me to use a vinegar and water douche every other day. I have read that using a douche post op can cause natural bacteria to go away and may cause an infection. I want to trust him but I'm just not sure. Anyone have any experience with this???
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Sorry, no experience with this. I had a 5 week check and the stitches hadn't come yet. He did a pelvic and said they would come soon. He said "here come the spiders". I told him I didn't know what that meant? He said, when the stitches come out, they are small and bunched up and kindof curly. He says it reminds him of the little spiders in the one Harry Potter movie. Sure enough, about 3 days later I started passing "the spiders". I'm sure whenever i see that movie again, I'll have to laugh! Good luck! Carolyn
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Hello,
My surgery was more than a year ago but I remember as if it were last week, and I had the problem as you, at 4 weeks I could feel something was not right and went back to Dr, the put silver nitrate "OUCH" on the stiches that were not healing and then instructed me to use a weak betadine douch daily, but not actually douche as normal but more like cleanse the stitches with the douche solution. I found that using an old fashion water bag with a the enema attachment instead of the douche one worked better, I could hang the bag on the shower head then the seat in the shower worked great to just sit there with the legs apart and cleanse the area, sounds like an ordeal but it really was not that difficult.
Hope this helps
Kay
Unread 05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

If you want to encourage the "good" bacteria to come back and you hope to avoid get a yeast infection, you can try taking a pro-biotic OR eating lots of yogurt/yogurt drinks...

Good luck.
-k.
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Shelly,
One of the way your body keeps a balance in how acidic your vagina is. I've had problems with recurrent yeast infections in the past because I was not acidic enough, and the doc told me to use vinegar/water douches to help the balance. The acid will also help the stitches dissolve faster. I never had a bacterial overgrowth doing this. You can also drink cranberry juice to help improve the acidity. Any time I've had the dissolving sutures, they always took longer than expected to dissolve. Good Luck.
Rachel
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlin
Sorry, no experience with this. I had a 5 week check and the stitches hadn't come yet. He did a pelvic and said they would come soon. He said "here come the spiders". I told him I didn't know what that meant? He said, when the stitches come out, they are small and bunched up and kindof curly. He says it reminds him of the little spiders in the one Harry Potter movie. Sure enough, about 3 days later I started passing "the spiders". I'm sure whenever i see that movie again, I'll have to laugh! Good luck! Carolyn
I wish I hadn't read this...I am totally phobic of spiders and yet to pass my stitches.

Does everyone get them coming out or do some totally dissolve and you never see anything?
Unread 05-16-2006, 01:52 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Lev,
My stitches just looked like tan little pieces of string, nothing at all like spiders. I'm like you, if they had, I probably would have freaked.
Rachel
Unread 05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

I went back for my 6 week checkup today. The doctor said I was healed but still had a couple of stitches that hadn't completely disolved. He didn't tell me to do anything about it. I haven't seen any stitches but he told me I might see these because it was the little knots that were tied in the stitches.
Unread 05-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashrn
Lev,
My stitches just looked like tan little pieces of string, nothing at all like spiders. I'm like you, if they had, I probably would have freaked.
Rachel
Phewwwww..thanks for that Rachel.....what with this and the Tarantula thread in the Pre-Op forum, I was beginning to get goosebumps!
Unread 05-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Vaginal Cuff Stitches

When I passed mine, they just looked like slimy purple pieces on the toliet paper. My dr said they had all gone by my 6 weeks. Good luck

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.