HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last

Unread 05-19-2006, 11:40 PM
How Long Does The Swollen Belly Last

Please help me, its driving me crazy with this the gas everyday and the swollen belly. How long does the swollen belly last. I have heard some say 4 weeks and I have heard others say up to a year. Does anyone who with with the larposcopic hyst with uterus and fibroids removed only help me with some advice. I know we all heal differently, but with the small incisions in the navel and 2 small incisions on each side of the belly, what am I'm looking at far as time with gas and swollen belly.
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:00 AM

My Gp told me at least a year. Very depressing but then a hysterectomy is major surgery. Things could be worse and it will settle.
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
which way did they do your hyst

did you have your surgery the same way????
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:28 AM

I had a TAH but either way a hysterectomy is pretty traumatic surgery to go through. I also had fibroids I had everything taken except my ovaries. The swelling comes and goes over the day and depends on how much I have done in the day. The way I look at it is it is a small mercy, things could be worse and it will eventually settle. It is all part of the healing process be kind to your body it has suffered a great deal.
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:33 AM
thanks

Some women say it takes up to a year for the swollen belly, I don't me a little swollen my belly is huge. I don't mind the swelling off and on during the day, but i just like to know how long it takes overall for the swellen to go away, some say 4 week, some say a year, that is a big difference what did they tell you??????
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:40 AM

My belly was huge and swollen for around 7 weeks and the swelling went right round to my back a couple of times. I went to see my GP when it was like this and he said that it is major surgery and part of the recovery. If you are concerned I would visit the dr no question is stupid. Are you still taking pain meds as they can cause constipation which may be an issue.

It really will settle. I had my op in Feb and when I say my swelling goes up and down, on occasion I look pregnant! But it is not something we have control of unfortunately and I guess we just have to wait until our body is ready. I am sorry that it is getting you down and I hope that it does settle soon. Visit the dr if you think there is something going on, they won't laugh or be angry that is what they are there for.
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:45 AM
thanks so much

I did see my Doctor and everything is normal I guess I just had to hear it from my fellow hyst sisters and by you letting me know that your was about 7 weeks then i will not complain about my 3 weeks. I guess I am being a liitle inpatient, but thanks for being there for me and understanding. I guess what really gets me down is the gas that I have off and on that goes along with all of this.
Unread 05-20-2006, 01:53 AM

3 weeks is early, I still get impatient that I am not 100% now at 3 months. It is a frustrating recovery period. Try some peppermint cordial in boiled water for the trapped wind or peppermint tea it may help releive it a little also walking around a lot may help move it free. I hope you get some relief soon and keep your pecker up gal! You need to think of the positive outcomes to your surgery, it helps me when I am feeling low about it all. Get well soon gal.
Unread 05-20-2006, 04:51 AM

thanks for the tea advice i will try that
Unread 05-20-2006, 06:27 AM

lynn, i have been plagued with the bad swellybely too. I have noticed it feels better in the mornings, and worse at the end of the day especally if I've been more active. Seems worse if I've not had BM, better for the few hours afterwarrds. seems MUCh worse if I eat gassy foods (beans, broccoli). I tried a heating pad on low, and it helped; I had tried the swellybelly band which helped a lot early on but now seems to make it worse. I got a medical compression garment (checked with doc first who said fine, eiher way) and if I put that on in the morning it seems to help give support and extend the time it isn't swollen up.
But this doggone thing is just THERE---and the other sisters say it lingers on for months and months.
Heavy Sigh.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.