HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks

Unread 05-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks

Hi Ladies Hystersisters Have Been A Great Support For Me. My Question Is Has Anyone Had Any Problems Lifting After Six Weeks. I Have Been Reading About Some Women Going Back To Work At 2 And 4 Weeks Post Op , But They Have Desk Jobs. I Do Home Day Care And I Would Have To Lift Babies And I Don't Feel Like I Am Ready For That Yet. I Am 5 Weeks Post Op And I Am Still Sore. I Walk Ok But Heavy Lifting Is Still An Issue. I Go Back To The DOCTOR FORMy 4 Week Follow Up From My 2 Week Follow That Will Be 6 Weeks And I Just Don't Think That I Will Be Able To Do The Lifting.
Is This Normal? I HAD TO HIRE SOME HELP ,BUT I AM PROBABLY GOING TO KEEP HER ON FOR AT LEAST 2 MORE WEEKS. PLEASE LADIES I NEED SOME ADVICE TAH/DYSPLASIA 4/13 /06
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Hi safehaven
I think you are wise to be cautious. I had problems lifting for a long time. I had several repairs so that prolonged my healing time, but it isn't uncommon to have to start slowly and build back strength in your abdominals especially. Just because you are released doesn't mean you can just resume doing things you haven't been doing for two months. It just doesn't make sense. I would recommend that as soon as you are released you start working to build back your strength a little at a time. You should find that you'll be able to do more all the time. Be sure to ask your dr what he/she thinks about all this.
's,Rita
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Hi there fellow Tennesseean!!
I am a DESK jockey myself. I had surgery 2 days before you and I couldn't imagine being able to pull at children all day. You might need more than 6 weeks to recover enough to go back to work... Remember to listen to your body!! Talk to your Doctor about what you do for a living and he just might agree that you shouldn't go back right now. Or your Doctor could suggest that you do like I have had to do and start out part time and slowly get back into full time...

I wish the best in your recovery... Don't worry to much just write down your concerns for your Doctor!
Unread 05-20-2006, 05:14 PM

In my personal experience-- I'm still having issues of lifting heavy things. (i'm 3 and a half months post op) I guess you can say that i'm slightly "milking" my situation. ( I have a belly button hernia that was not repaired, and I don't want it to get worse.) But if you know you'll be picking up kids/babies for 8 hours +, then no....i would advise you to gradually get back to working like that. Not to mention the fact you are still tired...and will get extremely tired/sore. They do say that recovery after the initial 6 weeks can take up to 6months to a year, to actually feel yourself again. Here is another thought for you....you do have a "helper" right now....if you could maybe keep him/her for another month or so....that'll help alot too. Well anyhow....ask your doctor about it....see what he/she says. Good luck and I hope you continue to recover great.

AnnRuthie
Unread 05-20-2006, 07:10 PM

I am a nursing assistant, so I can understand your worries about lifting. It was very hard for me to return to work as soon as I did with all of the lifting that was required of me. The best advice I can give, is don't do it unless you feel comfortable with it. If you aren't ready to lift yet and is still sore, then by all means, don't do it. Your body doesn't like it when you disobey it. Good Luck with you recovery and keep up the good healing.
Unread 05-20-2006, 07:22 PM

I am a speech-language pathologist at an elementary school. Every 20 minutes I walk and pick up a new group of kids. (I have clocked it a 2 1/2 to 3 miles per day.) I went back to work at 8 weeks, because of Winter Break and still had to be careful lifting and bending. If you can, I would keep your helper.

I wish you a speedy recovery!!
Unread 05-20-2006, 08:16 PM

I have a desk job and did go back to work at day 9 post op (minimal hours and minimal days). The office staff alone would not let me lift anything. When I went back to work full time at week 5, I was still careful of lifting.

I carry boxes often upstairs to the storage room, or bring stuff down. I have no problems with this. Yet there are some boxes I know I can lift and also know I should not lift I still ask for help and I am now 3.5 months post op.

Listen to your body, if you are not ready, do not push it.
Unread 05-20-2006, 10:31 PM

Thank You Ladies For Your Imput Your Advice Was Very Much So Appreciated. I Will Take It Into Concideration. It Is So Nice To Have Someone To Share Your Feelings And Thoughts With Even Though We Don't Know Each Other Personally. I Really Do Enjoy Reading And Sharing Info. It Is Very Helpful. Lets Keep Sharing
And Caring.

TAH/CERVICAL DYSPLASIA 4/13/06
Unread 05-24-2006, 12:33 PM

I also have a home childcare business. I had an abdominal 5/16. I am taking two weeks off, then gradually coming back. I mostly have preschool aged children, no infants or toddlers. By the end of the summer I should have a full house again. You are fortunate to have an assistant, I had to completly close down, luckily I wont lose any children. I hope you use your assistant as long as you can. I would take the full 8 weeks off if I could afford to. Take care of youself first so you are able to care for the little ones.
Hugs and prayers for your recovery and your business !
Unread 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM

Since I had extensive endometriosis, my Dr. told me to avoid heavy lifting as long as possible to prevent or lesson the chances of new adhesions forming. I have a four year-old who was used to being lifted into the shopping basket at the store, and if I can't find a way for him to step on a chair or something, then he has to walk. Around the house I get my DH or my DD (13) to lift anything more than ten pounds.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.