HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Removing the steri-strips Removing the steri-strips

Unread 05-21-2006, 11:31 PM
Removing the steri-strips

I was sent home with 100 steri strips on my incision. (at least it feels that way!)A couple of them have come off in the shower, but most of them are still on there. They are stuck pretty good and I'm having trouble getting them off. My post op instructions were to remove them by the 10th day if not off on their own. My belly is still tender, and they are still stuck on there pretty good! I tried removing the ones on the edges tonight and there is still a lot of glue/stickiness left. I had a hard time with the glue residue from tape on my arms -- and resorted to acetone, but am NOT about to do that there.
Any ideas on how to get them off with as little pain as possible, and the glue? I may have to ask my DH - but he is very squemish about this sort of stuff. I should of had my mom help before she left, but didn't think of it.

Sorry to have so many questions tonight!
Unread 05-22-2006, 12:35 AM

I just left mine on until my two week check up and the doc took them off. He used something like an alchol wipe to loosen them up and take them off. I was to chicken to do it myself. Call the doc and ask him about getting them off.
charlene
Unread 05-22-2006, 04:54 AM

I pulled my last couple off in the shower.
Unread 05-22-2006, 06:07 AM

i was able to take baths right away even tho i had a tah. i just soaked in the tub and removed them that way.
Unread 05-22-2006, 06:11 AM

The nurse took mine off at my 2 week post op. Those suckers were NOT coming off. Since everything was nice a clean, it was no biggie they were on that long. Plus, it seems the minute they were taken off the swelly belly appeared. YUCK!!
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:49 AM

In the castle, the nurse told me upon release to leave them on until they fell off themselves, but to trim the edges with a scissor if they became loose (which I didn't do). Right before my two week follow-up, one of the steri-strips got stuck to my panties and I nearly yanked it off completely before I noticed what had happened. I frantically stuck it back since one end was still attached. I wasn't going to leave it off since the others were still firmly attached.
I told my Gynecologist about the incident when he checked me out at two weeks, and he proceeded to remove them all. This was pretty uncomfortable since the shaved surgical area was regrowing hair. He didn't put anything on the strips to ease removing them.
I can give you a hint of something gentler to use other than Acetone. Whenever I am having trouble removing the sticky residue from a bandage, I apply baby oil, and gently rub the area with a cotton ball. Since you haven't removed the strips yet, the baby oil should also help loosen them. If you are not comfortable with this, check with your doctor, and maybe he can give you another suggestion.
Good luck. I wasn't brave enough to try it myself, and asked the doctor whether my incision would hold together without tape at two weeks. I am happy to report I haven't split apart yet at almost four weeks.
Unread 05-22-2006, 07:53 AM

mine came off on their own about a week after I got home, the doc told me if they were still on after that they could come off and to take them off in the shower-"they are very sticky and the water and steam will loosen them"

HTH!
Unread 05-22-2006, 09:24 AM

My instructions were to stand in the shower and soak them with soap and warm water at day 10. I just gently tugged a little at a time and they came off but it took until my shower on day 11 to get them completely off.
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Mine fell off on their own . . . all except for one, right in the middle. At my 2-week check-up, the doctor removed that one. She thought it was funny that all the others had fallen off but that one. I've had no trouble with my incision, either.
Unread 05-22-2006, 11:43 AM

Mine wouldnt come off easily...but I tried using Cetaphil soap and that helped ease the "tugging" sensation. However the BEST thing you can do is ask the doctor for the little pads that eat away the adhesive (someone else mentioned this also) - they smell like lemons and dont hurt at all - not even a stinging sensation! You also may be able to get them from your pharmacy - my CVS carries them behind the counter at the pharmacy - not sure if you need an rx for them, I didnt.

Good luck...try the Cetaphil though..just let it sit for about 10 minutes or so before trying to take them off.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway