HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Time off from work question Time off from work question

Unread 05-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Time off from work question

I'm hoping some of the post-op ladies will jump in here to answer my question. I'm trying to plan my time off from work. The doctor said 4-6 weeks. Those of you who have had TAH...did you feel like working from home a little at the third week? I am the Operations Manager of a small consulting firm and an totally hooked up with a laptop that I could sit in bed and work from. Thoughts on this? It would be mostly email, etc. If you did feel like working, how much? Thanks for everyone's input!
Unread 05-24-2006, 10:27 AM

Well, I'm just about a week out, but I've been planning on s tarting some very light work from home around week 3. I'm an office manager for an auto body shop, and only other person there knows how to do my work...he's my boss and has more than enough of his own work to take care of! Not only that ,but he screws all my stuff up. LOL

I'm planning on entering the invoices, paying the bills, and sending out the thank you letters. Nothing major, however it's time consuming. Just remember to take time out for you to rest in the midst of it. I already told my boss I don't know how much I'll actually accomplish, but it will be better than nothing. He was jsut happy I even made the offer!
Unread 05-24-2006, 11:17 AM

I was home checking email at 3 weeks, but that is it. I still was in pain, had terrible brain fog, and I was taking naps throughout the day. Please don't commit to anything until you see how you feel, and even if you feel good at 3 weeks, take it easy and give your body time to heal. You only get one chance to heal correctly, and the last thing you want to do is end up with any unnecessary problems. I went back to work full-time at 6 weeks and was exhausted. Wish I could've had a few more weeks. Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-24-2006, 12:01 PM

I also didn't feel like doing much, especially sitting upright for the first four weeks, and even now at three months yesterday, when I get home from work I recline or lay down or sit "criss-cross applesauce" like my kids say. I have only had what I would consider mild swelly belly and I think this is one reason why. I thought I would feel like reading to help pass the time and had a stack of months of magazines and a few books, and I really didn't feel like reading much until about six weeks. It was hard to concentrate, so reading wasn't enjoyable.
Unread 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM

I work from home as a medical transcriptionist, so I sit in front of a computer all day. At 3 weeks I started back very slowly. Sitting in front of the computer for 30 minutes was enough for me. I would take a break and come back a little later and do another 30 minutes of work. I probably worked about 1-1/2 hours the first few days. By week 4, I was feeling pretty good and putting in about 3-4 hour days.

I agree with the others that you shouldn't commit yourself to too much work until you see how you feel. Good luck.
Unread 05-24-2006, 01:57 PM

Hi I;m in the Atlanta area too. Am 4 1/2 weeks post op. I agree with most I sat at computer to look at e mail and this website off and on during the day but sitting was uncomfortable for long periods even now due to the swelly belly and pressure on bottom parts for too long. You might try a donut pillow. Good luck SHB957
Unread 05-24-2006, 02:07 PM

I could have gone back to work at 4 weeks, but opted to take my whole six weeks, we went on a vacation week 5....

At 7 and a half weeks I still get very tired, even though I feel great. The energy thing they say comes with time.

Good luck. T
Unread 05-24-2006, 05:17 PM

I had a TAH May 24th 2005 and was up and walking around Disney World 3 weeks later! I had some slight pain after all that walking took some pain meds went to bed and woke up feeling good as new the next morning.
Unread 05-24-2006, 06:12 PM

I had a TAH 7 weeks ago. I am taking 10 weeks off, but my job is physically demanding. Like the other sisters said...you won't know really until you see how you are feeling. Best wishes to you.
Unread 05-24-2006, 11:58 PM

I was able to go back to work immediately. I had been trying to have a hysterectomy for over a decade and when the doctor finally said yes, I was there, he could not schedule soon enough. Being that I was totally prepared emotionally for this, my recovery was outstanding. This surgery was needed for me so there was no doubt in my mind when he finally suggested the surgery.

I do agree with the other sisters, take it easy and rest whenever your body tells you to rest. Even with as great as I felt, I wanted to heal correctly so I was sure to rest whenever my body was tired. If I planned on working four hours at work and was tired at hour one, I went home. My recovery was much more important than going back to work early.

Remembering that I was so ready for this surgery, here is what I did after surgery and returning to work.

1-31-06, surgery day. Went to work for four hours before surgery time.
2-1, in hospital
2-2, home by 8AM...received and responded to emails from work
2-3, rested at home (drove to bx for a few necessites)..recieved and responded to emails from work.
2-4, went to movies with son (drove to theater)
2-5, rested
2-6, stayed at home, again emails from work
2-7, stayed at home, drove to grocery store for bread and milk. Drove DS to wrestling practice, stayed to watch and organize an event with the club parents (see below for more information).
2-8, staples removed, DH drove me to appointment..emailed work told them I would be in the office the next day
2-9, went to work for four hours. Felt incredible, would have worked longer but bosses said to go home after four hours. Again with DS wrestling.
2-10, rested.
2-11, attended formal dinner and dance with the military unit that my DH is in charge of.

From there on I was at wrestling practice 2 days a week and at tournaments on Saturdays. At 8 weeks post op, I was a key volunteer and organizer for a wrestling tournament of 1500 wrestlers and their families.....lots of advanced work required and did just fine with the day of work and so close to the surgery date and recovery. I did have to take a couple of additional breaks than I usually have when coordinating this event.

As for work, I work in the office HR and Administration, so I do have a light duty job. From day 9 until week 5 I was at work(in the office) at least two days a week and putting in no more than 10 hours a week for the first couple and slowly worked my way up to 20 hours. By week 5 I was up to 30-35 hours. At week 5 the doctor released me back to work...he did not know I had already been going back to work. I did have appointments scheduled for week 6 so I did not go back to work full time until week 7. My work did offer to hook up my laptop at home with the network at work so I could do more from home, but with recovery as easy as it was for me it was just easier for me to go to work, than to log into the network from home.

Again, I listened to my body and if I was tired everything else was put aside so I could rest. I think there were two or three times that I planned on working several hours at work and did not make it. My coworkers were fine with this. The only thing that my bosses requested was two hours of work a week, whether at home or in the office. If I was to put in at least the two hours a week they would pay me for the full 40. I thought this was a good compromise and felt if they could be that generous I could make an honest attempt to go to work.

As you can see from my post, I was ready to go back to work before week three.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.