HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Any tips for waking a sleeping bladder??~ Any tips for waking a sleeping bladder??~

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Any tips for waking a sleeping bladder??~

Hey ladies, welp got the foley out today. Yesterday I couldn't wait for that to happen...tonight I'm getting worried. When I got the foley out they did the voiding trial...I voided about 70 of the 230 they put in...but when the small cath was put in only about 50 more came out. Anywho, they made me show them I can self cath before I could leave. Which I did.

Now I'm wondering if I would've been better off having them put the foley back in! I have been able to go a little on my own. THe first time I tried the self cath (at home) nothing came out...thought I did it wrong. So I drank a bit more, waited another hour or so and tried again. I was able to go a little on my own, then had some more come out with the cath. But while the cath was working like a champ, it just stopped, like someone flipped a switch! and not that much came out.

SO I'm back to drinking as much as I can and i'm getting worried about having an accident during the night UGH what can I do to wake this thing up??
Unread 05-25-2006, 10:10 PM

my doc said to try to void every 2 hours. I did that in the hospital so they could measure my output.

I tried to calmly sit and think wet thoughts. Running water, etc. I didn't try to force it. It took several days for my muscles to actually work at pushing the urine out.

Once home I still went every two hours for a few days. Especially during daytime.

I told my grandchildren that nana was potty training again. LOL. And it was true.

Evidently, I had to train the brain to work with the repaired bladder. I'm 3 weeks post-op now and can go almost the whole night without getting up. I still am very aware of baldder feelings, etc.

Good luck and give it some time. It will get better.
Unread 05-26-2006, 12:37 AM

Thank you Alysa, I guess that would help aleviate my fears of going when I shouldn't be!
Unread 05-26-2006, 01:03 AM

Hun, from experience I can say be PATIENT, don't push yourself and don't stress. Take things a day at a time. I had a foley for around 4 weeks cause my bladder refused to work then ended up having a supra cath put in for another 4 or so weeks. Don't panic it probably wont happen to you mate, I was an exception. The more you stress the less it will happen and god I stressed. Your bladder has been through trauma and it will go when its ready, early days yet so hang in there. Good luck
Unread 05-26-2006, 02:55 AM

Poor thing. I had to have the foley reinstalled. I know where you are at with this, Vega. I hope it only gets better for you.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.