HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

One Year Post Op, Incision still hurts. One Year Post Op, Incision still hurts.

Unread 05-26-2006, 09:21 PM
One Year Post Op, Incision still hurts.

I had my partial hyst 5/25/05. I had to be cut after they were done because I was hemorrhaging, my incision was about 6 inches long, it formed an awful keloid and it still hurts all the time. My husband can't even touch my belly. I can't wear bikini panties because they rub it and it hurts. I saw a dermatologist and she suggested steroid injections, but she said they were painful. Has anyone else had this problem?? What to do????
Unread 05-27-2006, 10:58 AM

yes ive had my total abdominal hysterectomy done 13months ago and my scar still hurts alot just like yours,ive been put on loads of pills and creams but they dont hurt but mine keeps bursting open and now theyve found some stitches still inside so ive to have another op im hoping once this is done my pain will ease,have you had any trouble with infections in your scar?because its worth pursuing it to find out if anything else is wrong its took me a year for the doctors to listen to me about the pain my scar was causing.hope you get things sorted.p.s. the doctors gave me some cream made from chilli peppers it stings when you apply it but it eases the pain abit.
Unread 05-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Hi (((devan))) I formed a keloid scar from my vertical incision from colon surgery a year after my hyst. With my DR's guidance, I tried several different treatments. First we tried Vitamin E cream. It felt good but didn't do much for the scar. It still hurt and sometimes itched. The next thing he had me try was the scar sheets you can now buy OTC at drugstores (there are several brands). These are silicone sheeting that you cut and fit over the scar and wear pretty much continuously. They do tend to soften and lighten the scar slightly, due to better moisture retention. Still, the result was not what I was hoping for, or even close.

Next, he sent me to a plastic surgeon, who prescribed Aldara cream. Aldara is an immune suppressor that is meant for treatment of genital warts ; however, keloid scars are an off-label use for it. It was very expensive, but it did lighten and flatten the scar more. After a few months, though, it stopped making it improve, and in fact irritated the scar (this is a known side effect of using it long term).

Then, I went to a website called worldwide wounds, which is a board for health care providers dealing with nasty wound issues. Unfortunately, their message boards are in the process of being redesigned, so it's hard to find anything on there right now. However, I found on that site numerous recommendations for the use of a nasty smelling paste called Hei Ba Gao on keloid scars. I tried it, and while it was awful to use, it was the only thing that stopped the scar from itching and hurting all the time. I used it for a couple of months and then it, too, irritated the scar too much.

The plastic surgeon told me at that point that the only other option left to me was to have the cortisone injections in the scar, which he told me were quite painful (I believe it). I decided to hold off on that.

It's now been three years since that surgery, and in the last year, I've noticed a big improvement in my scar. It is much lighter, though still by no means invisible. It doesn't hurt or itch at all anymore. I still use a little vitamin E/allium (allium is the active ingredient in mederma) scar gel from the health food store on it every day, because it keeps it feeling soft.

I've also noticed there is a new product out now, called Super Cop, which is a copper peptide cream for scar reduction. Here's a link to a review of the product:

http://www.smartskincare.com/reviews..._20050623.html

I would ask your DR before trying it, as, like the Hei Ba Gao, it can also irritate the skin with long term use.

You didn't mention this option, but I thought I would, for completion's sake. Plastic surgeons can do scar revision surgeries where they remove the scar and let it re-heal. However, if you have a keloid, there is a good chance that you'd just form another one. I was told I was not a good candidate for the procedure but it can be great in cases where there's a large scar because of infection in the initial incision. My plastic surgeon actually uses the Aldara cream during early healing when he does scar revisions and says it can result in a lower incidence of keloids. But, as far as I am concerned, I've had enough surgeries already, and surgery for cosmetic purposes isn't high on my to-do list.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-27-2006, 04:23 PM
thank you so much

Thank you so much for the advice. I have never heard of Aldara being used for scars. My son has some that was prescribed for a seed wart on his foot. I will definitely try that and I will also give the silicone sheets a try too. Thank you so much. It is good to know I am not the only one that has trouble healing. Devan

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway