HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

symptoms of surgical menopause after oophorectomy? symptoms of surgical menopause after oophorectomy?

Unread 05-28-2006, 10:41 PM
??

Hi ladies,
I am going to be having my one and only overy taken out on 3 july. Does this mean i will go through surgical menopause? And where can i find a list of symtoms for my dh to read? It needs to be very straight forward and easy to understand. He thinks if i go through menopause that our relationship won't last and that i will be a nightmare to live with. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

jess
Unread 05-29-2006, 09:08 AM
symptoms of surgical menopause after oophorectomy?

I know what you mean but it's not my hubby that is worried it's me I go in the 6 of June to have the last Ovary taken out. I just want this night mare over. I just had my left Ovary taken in Dec of this year now I have to have the last one out I just want the pain to stop that is all i know. Good luck with you Hubby Raye
Unread 05-29-2006, 09:31 AM
symptoms of surgical menopause after oophorectomy?

I am sorry to hear you will be losing your remaining ovary! From reading your previous posts it sounds like that ovary has been giving you a lot of trouble though. My heart goes out to you for having to go through all this.

Yes, without the ovaries you will enter into surgical menopause. It may or may not happen right away (for me it took 4 weeks to feel the effects of loss of ovarian hormones). I see that you have a history of endo? Am I correct? If so, does your doctor plan to put you on hrt right away or hold off? Many doctors seem to differ on this regarding endometriosis. HRT does help alleviate the symptoms of surgical menopause. For some it helps right away, for others like me it takes a long time of struggling to find the right hrt and dosage to feel balanced. Even with hrt I still struggle with hotflashes, mood swings, insomnia, fatigue, etc..but also have other health issues that affect this as well, such as hypothyroidism and digestive issues. My moods however have been much more stable in the past few months. Hopefully it will go smoothly for you. Everyone is different. Some women seem to breeze right through it or find the right hrt right away.

Here is a list of symptoms of too much/too little estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone in surgical menopause. This doesn't mean you will suffer from them all. It is just a guide to help you figure out what is going on with your body when you do have symptoms. I don't have every symptom listed here either. http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsarticle.php?id=97238

Another helpful article is this one which gives an overview of surgical menopause and hrt issues, including alternative methods of relieving surgical menopause symptoms:
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_menopause.htm

Sounds like your dh needs some education about the importance of your surgery and about surgical menopause. I am sorry he is not more understanding. Is there any way you can get him to talk with your doctor about what you are going through so he can understand and support you more? Does he understand that with his love and support, this whole ordeal will be easier for you to deal with? Half the battle is having family, friends, and medical staff that are supportive and helpful. I know it has made my problems easier to deal with. And in fact, I am more of a witch with too much estrogen rather than not enough. Even a small amount has kept me somewhat lubricated down there as well. I am fortunate that way. If sex should become an issue, there are ways to cope and make it easier. There are vaginal lubricants and estrogens as well as prescription testosterone for women that can help. Your life won't be over just because you are going through surgical menopause. It may or may not be a rough ride for you, but it will eventually get better with the right tools to cope. My first six months were hell on earth, but with the guidance of a new doctor and hrt, I am getting better, though far from balanced yet. I am still able to work and function, and am slowly finding my old self again. I sometimes wish I had kept my ovaries myself, but I remind myself of the kind of pain I was in before with my endo, and while I still struggle with some endo issues, I do not need narcotics to function.

I hope these links are what you were looking for. Good luck with everything and keep writing if you have more questions. Also, there is a link on Hystersisters just for men that may help your dh understand things more as well. Here it is:
http://www.misterhystersisters.com/

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.