HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Discharge after mesh and sling repair Discharge after mesh and sling repair

Unread 05-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Question - Discharge after mesh and sling repair Discharge after mesh and sling repair

I had my vaginal hysterectomy in June 05 and have just had surgery 11th May for a sling and mesh (cystocele).After the hysterectomy I was ill in bed for about 6 weeks with abcess and bad urine infection.

Can anybody help me,I am so worried about this dicharge I have and am wondering if any of you ladies out their can put my mind at rest.After about a week I had a yellow disharge and now it has changed to a light brown slighly reddish, quite thick.Is this normal after a sling/mesh op.I did have something similar after the hysterectomy but cant remember what colour it was and also dont no how long it lasted for.

Also is the recovery pretty much the same as the hysterectomy.My Dr told me just to rest for the first week and then take it easy.I started driving yesterday.

I feel fine, no fever but am making myself feel ill with worry because I dont know if this is normal.

I would really appreciate some help if anybody has had this problem.

Thank you
Unread 05-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Discharge after mesh and sling repair

Yellowish discharge following prolapse surgery is common. It is from the sutures starting to dissolve and can last for quite awhile. I am almost 6 weeks post-op and still have discharge everyday. You may notice the discharge becoming more pink if you have been over doing things or straining with BMs.
You should ask your Dr about specific restrictions. Recovery is a lot like recovering from a hysterectomy although my weight restriction is a lot less (5 pounds) with this surgery than with the hysterectomy (10 pounds).
Michelle
Unread 06-01-2006, 02:25 AM

I didn't have any discharge after the TOT surgery.
Unread 06-05-2006, 03:58 AM

Hi Michelle,
Thank you for your reply.Things seem much better now it looks as though maybe I overdid it.Everything seems back to normal now.

It seems as though you are recovering from the same operation as me and would be interested to here about your recovery.I cant refer to my hysterectomy as I had the infections and abcess after and it was not a straight forward recovery, if there ever is one.
Sue

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway