HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Halban's culdoplasty?? Halban's culdoplasty??

Unread 05-04-2001, 01:57 PM
Halban's culdoplasty??

So this is what I get for reading my post surgical reports! I'm hoping that a sister who knows medical terminology better than I do will help me out here. A portion of my report reads as follows:"...Attention was then turned to the Halban portion of the procedure. Multiple 0 Vicryl sutures were used to approximate the posterior cervical peritoneum with the posterior peritoneum of the pelvis, closing the pouch of Douglas. This was accomplished with approximately five interrupted stitches. At this point the pelvis was irrigated copiously. Visualization of the operative site proved to be hemostatic."etc, etc. Yikes!! What's a pouch of Douglas? I never learned this in high school biology and I never even knew I had one! I knew I was going to have my abdominal supracervical hyst with a Burch urethopexy, but nothing was mentioned about the Halban procedure during my preop appointment. Is it normally a part of the Burch bladder suspension?
Curious person that I am, I did some searching on the internet and found the definition of Halban's culdoplasty which is "Close the space between the vagina and rectum through an abdominal incision to prevent the small bowel from pushing the vagina out." Does this mean I had an enterocele? I go back to my doc in June and I plan to ask her these questions then, but I can't wait until then. I gotta know. I guess my prolapse problems were worse than I thought! Hey, at least I can give myself credit for figuring out that "hemostatic" means that is isn't bleeding. WOW! There were lost of other nice parts of my anatomy that I didn't know about including a "space of Retzius" and an "ipsilateral Cooper's ligament". I'm still trying to figure those out. Help!
Confused but curious.
Linda
Unread 05-05-2001, 08:15 AM
Culdoplasty

Hi lelangve,

I don't know the exact name of the procedure I had, but I also had a culdoplasty. I didn't even know about it until the receptionist mistakenly gave me a copy of the bill at my 6 week postop checkup. I nearly flipped. I knew there must have been some type of mistake.

I immediately called back my doc's office and asked him to call me. I thought there had been some mistake, but he said that yes, I'd had the culdoplasty. He just never thought it was important enough to mention??? He said it was worse than he'd suspected after he got into the surgery. I was still quite peaved that he never mentioned it after surgery (or even the possibility?).

I have looked a lot on the net, and there isn't a whole lot of information about it. Yes, it is an enterocele repair. Sometimes this is done as a prevention measure to prevent future enteroceles, sometimes as a repair of an existing one. It is a herniation of the small intestine which ultimately bulges into the apex of the vagina. Be glad that your doctor went ahead and fixed it. I did not have any extra pain associated with this repair - was completely unaware of it. Mine was done laproscopically through a small incision in the vagina.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor.
Unread 05-05-2001, 06:50 PM
Halban's culdoplasty??

Marian
Thanks for the reply. I do remember that my doc said that she might have to do "something to keep other organs from prolapsing into the space left by taking out the uterus". I guess that to her it was a minor thing and compared to the hysterectomy and bladder repair, it probably was. I just got a little excited when the name of a strange procedure appeared on the report when I had not expected it. I guess most patients aren't as nosy as I am and probably don't want to know the details, but I'm the kind who wants to know everything. If the name had been mentioned even once, I wouldn't have had the question. Like you said, the docs don't always know every repair situation until they get in there and poke around. Believe me, my doc will be getting all kinds of questions from me next month. I have to say that she answers everything without ever maknig me feel dumb about it. Thanks for your input!
Linda

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.