Well, I had a trip to the castle for a hysteroscopy and d/c on May 2. DD called today and said the path. report was normal, and what is causing all my bleeding must be my fibroids. I was actually dissappointed! I was hoping to get this thing out! She now wants to try a few rounds of progesterone to see if that helps my bleeding. I have done some searching of the site on this, but have not come up with alot, anyone have a similar experience, and did the progesterone help or just delay the inevitable. I really wanted to get this taken care of over the summer, as it's the only time of year I can get help for my barn! Sue
Hi crazyhorse, I tried progesterone, estrogen, and bcp to control bleeding due to fibroids. I was willing to try all of the above because I didn't want a hysterectomy. Well, after a year of different doses of bcp with the addition of hormones, my bleeding didn't change, if fact it seem to get worse. I just got back from the castle for a tvh, my uterus was twice the normal size and full of fibroids. I don't think any drugs would have helped. But I've heard that drugs do work sometimes, but you may have to take it for a few months before you see any effects. I know summer is just around the corner. The decision was really left to me for the hysterectomy. It just got to the point where I was bleeding everyday and it was interfering with normal day living. Hope this helps.~jan
I tryed the natural progesstrone cream for the last 6 months. It didnt help me at all. In fact I just had a month long salvia test done, and it showed I had high levels of progesstrone. So this month I have stopped the cream, and am waiting to see what this months flow is like.
I have heard that many woman do have good results with progestrone... I was not one of them. MAYBE if I had used it in a pill form it might have. Who knows.
My new gyno now wants me to try a progestrone only birth control pill to see how it works before doing the surgery.
So, to answer your question..... I used the cream for 6 months... and I somewhat think it might have made things worse. (definantly not better, maybe it just remained the same)
Good luck with your choice......... its a tough one, cuz it might very well work great for you to try.
Sue, You might want to post this on the Hysterectomy Alternatives board--there are probably lots of sisters over there who can help you.
I was given progesterone after 2 episodes of especially heavy hemorrhaging; it solved the problem until my next period. Some insurance companies want you to go through several alternatives before they will okay the hysterectomy. You've done the first step, the D&C. Depending on the ins. co. and how anemic you are, that might be sufficient. I had a myomectomy in between my hormone therapy and my D&C before finally having a hysterectomy on 4/18. Good luck to you.
I too, have fibroids. However I am taking progesterone to decrease my thick endometrium (a separate issue from the fibroids). Doctors prescribe progesterone for differrent lengths of time, for example I am on it days 16-25 of my cycle.
My experience is heavier bleeding and clotting during my periods (this could of course be due to the thick lining and could indicate that it is decreasing. We'll know more after more tests.
It may depend also on the size of your fibroids and their locations (such as, are they pressing on other organs).
Ask doctor what he/she expects to gain from this. How many months would you take it? How many days out of the month?
I am very tender towards the last two days of it and don't wear pantyhose or other tight clothing then.
Good luck. Jan
Jan, What kind of tests would they do to check on your progress? I can't imagine bleeding worse! My periods are already 2 weeks long with about 4 really heavy days where I'm afraid to leave the house! My fibroids are intramural, in the wall of the uterus, loads of them, about golfball size.I'm so down about this today, any info is helpful, you guys are GREAT Sue
I'm not sure what tests they can do for you. My doctor plans to repeat hysteroscopy and d&c after several months on progesterone. That was the April plan, since then I have had heavier and longer bleeding and the beginning of PAIN (but not the length you described). She was hoping to put me on LUPRON for a few months before surgery to shrink everything (I have a 20 wk size uterus). While lupron has its side effects, in my case if shrinking works, it would reduce length of time in surgery & blood loss.
Originally I was hoping to postpone hyst till late winter/early spring 2002, now I'm not so sure.
I understand you're being upset. We first talked of hsyt in Mar. my denial period. In April I was mad! and put lots of strain on DH and my sister. This month I am growing to accept the idea.
What did they see in your CT?
I don't know much about fibroids in wall of uterus. Doc thinks I have all 3 kinds though.
Have you had 2nd opinion? Perhaps someone else to read the results you already have.
You might try asking some of your questions on the hysterectomy alternatives message board also. Let us know what you find out. You are not alone!! Jan