HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Mass in Uterus!  Help...I'm scared.... Mass in Uterus! Help...I'm scared....

Unread 06-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Mass in Uterus! Help...I'm scared....

I just received a call from my gyn's office presenting the results of my internal ultrasound. She said I have a small mass in the lower part of my uterus and that they will schedule a CT Scan for me. Needless to say, I'm very concerned. What is a mass? What could it be? Why would they now do a CT Scan? Wouldn't they just take my uterus? I don't need it any more..... What can I expect? Anyone out there who can help me to figure out what could be wrong with me? Of course, I'm thinking the nasty "c" word.... I have struggled with an anxiety disorder for 14 years now. I'm doing great, but this could be enough to kick it into high gear!!! Can anyone help guide me through this?
Unread 06-08-2006, 01:01 PM

As a hyst is a major, life changing surgery, which has a long list of possible side effects, your dr is going to what to know exactly what the mass is before proceeding. Also, the type of mass would dictate what type of surgery and who all would need to be involved with your surgery.

I can tell you I had a pelvic mass recently, and it scared me silly. My "mass" was on one of my ovaries (my hyst was years ago). The word mass can be very scary but can be used to describe just that, a mass that needs further study to determine what it is. My "mass" turned out to be a hemorrhagic cyst which dissolved on its own.

So please, try not to panic over the word "mass" as scary as that can be. Let's hope your CT scan will determine what your mass is so your dr's will know how best to treat you.

in there!
Unread 06-12-2006, 10:00 AM

Hi, I had a mass and the ct scan result was very bad but after a mri it showed fibroids only and that was way better news. I went weeks not knowing so I feel for you. Wishing you the best.
I'm an anxious gal too.
Bridge
Unread 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Hello! I also have a mass in my uterus that was indentified on an ultrasound. They tried to do an endometrial biopsy which was unsucessful due to scar tissue. I will probably opt for a hysterectomy, but that is a personal choice, and it is a very serious operation. I hope that your Ct scan shows something that is not serious at all. Good luck, and I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 06-12-2006, 08:13 PM

Thank you for your kind replies. My CT Scan is tomorrow and I have no idea when I'll get results. I too have been thinking that perhaps it's fibroids that are showing up. Not that they are fun, but it sounds a whole lot "funner" than the dreaded "c" word. I had pain about two years ago and they did tests and told me my uterus was lobulated and boggy. I panicked then thinking that some "c-erous" tumor was protruding. I eventually had exploratory surgery and had endometriosis removed and a cyst. I was told I had fibroids then and opted NOT to get the hysterectomy at that time. The dr. also said that he suspected adenomyosis but said the only way to be sure of that diagnosis is with removal of the uterus. So here we go again.... I do appreciate your comments. I'm still very concerned. And scared. But it sure does help to know there are people out there that care. Think of me tomorrow as I'm drinking the barium stuff.... Tootser
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:04 AM

Hi Gals,

I would ask my doc for an mri before making a decision on treatment.
Even if you opt for a hyst the mri will help your surgeon. Thats what I'm told anyway. Sorry to nag and I know it's a pricey test but my ins. co. paid for it. I thought most docs wanted the mri before diagnosing. Adenomyosis was something i was told i did not have after the mri- it was in the report.
Bridge
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:05 AM

ps- my ct scan showed huge mass on ovaries but it was just fibroids
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:08 AM

I've been going to two doctors for this pelvic pain. My fibromyalgia doctor sent me for an MRI of the hip and pelvic area and it showed nothing. Now he was looking for something different than the gyno would, but wouldn't something have shown up? Then the gyno sent me for the internal ultrasound and that's when they found the mass in uterus. My CT scan is today. Wish me luck...
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Good luck Tootser.
I don't know why nothing showed on your mri. I really only know about my report and it described my fibroids as masses blocking my kidney view and no necrosis, adenemo. Did say my mass was pressing on my bladder (that I knew before hand). You could call the mri place and ask about that. I would. They would know why. Do you have your films?

I wish you best today and will be thinking of you
Bridge
Unread 06-13-2006, 07:40 AM
me again and the ct

I' m sorry about being down on the ct scan. It was actually the person who read the scan that make the huge mistake in my case.
From that persons mistake I was given the worst possible news- inoperable and terminal.
A second opnion doctor said it was very very bad- the report from ct scan. My own doctor didn't say it but I think even he knew it was fibroids and nothing worse.
I had mine (ct scan) in the ER so maybe that makes a difference in how careful they are.

Bridge
PS- My sister picked me up from the ER because they didn't want me to be alone. On the way home she said "oh, it's probably just fibroids", First time in my life I heard that word. Can you imagine that?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.