HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

prolapsed uterus causing back and hip pain? prolapsed uterus causing back and hip pain?

Unread 05-05-2001, 05:25 PM
prolapsed uterus causing back and hip pain?

I was wondering if a prolapsed uterus could cause back pain the same way a tipped uterus can? I moved a sleep-sofa to retreive a cat toy, my cat had batted down there, and two days later was when I discovered that something was in the wrong place "down-under" It is a stage 3 prolapse. Evidentally this had been coming on a long time and maybe in early stages had manifested itself in a different type of way. I remember in November or so, I began having hip, lower back pain, sort of like a sciatic nerve problem I had while pregnant many, many, years ago. I just figured my job was causing this. I had no clue until looking over some older material in this site that uterine problems could cause hip and back problems. No clue WHAT-SO-EVER !! This is amazing to me. I remember my GYN. telling me that I had a tipped uterus at 20 years of age. Growing up I had very long, painful periods and bled ALOT ! :'( I always had very painful lower back problems as well, during the first few days of my period. Does anyone know if a tipped uterus pre-disposes one to have a prolapse later on? How about the common removal of "Pulling" on the after-birth to rush the removal of the placenta? It seems like this would put pressure on a womans uterus as well. Besides putting my feet up, are there any suggestions you all have that would help my back be more comfortable until July? I am also interested in hearing from sisters out there with prolapses that also had tipped uterus before the prolapse. Also, I wonder what the ramefications of a TIPPED PROLAPSED uterus are?
Comments?
Unread 05-05-2001, 08:11 PM

Anybody figured out any answers to these questions yet? :circle:
Unread 05-05-2001, 08:32 PM

Hi Sherri, Sorry I missed your post!
I have the same except I got it from big babies and heavy lifting-worked in shipping many yrs carrying bronze pieces!
Here's what I have learned:
YES YES YES! It can cause back pain, pelvic pain and hips! I find putting ice in a fanny pak while I work, on my low back, helps tremendously. I think because it kicks the swelling before it starts.
Also, until July, I would suggest laying down with your feet up or your butt on a pillow as much as you can. I find this takes the pressure off of mine.
Another sugestion: A pessary can be gotten and fitted from your DR until surgery. This did in fact relieve a lot for me. It is a hassle, but only temporary. It fits around the cervix and hold you up so to speak!
There is also something called a V-Brace. If you look it up on your browsewr, you will find the site that sells them Dont' know how commfy it is, but I heard a lot of women like them.
As far as a tipped uterus goes, it doesn't cause any problems, unless we lift too much while we have it!Some of us are born with them. My mom had ten kids with one and didn't casue her any problems.I had two kids with one, and it did! Go figure!
Wish you luck-they can be a pain in the A**-literally!
God Bless, Hope it helped!
Peanut
Unread 05-05-2001, 08:49 PM
Me, too...

I have a tipped uterus and uterine prolapse. Back pain, hip pain, pain from my left hip to my left foot. I've had 3 deliveries, but no "pulling" on the placenta. It will be interesting to see how many women have these problems!

I love the idea of the ice in a fanny pack! I suppose you could even warm up a hot pack in the microwave and stick it in there. My surgery is on May 21, so I'm sure I won't be needing it after that, right?!!
Unread 05-05-2001, 08:57 PM

Hi Sherri!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have prolapsed uterus, bladder and everything else. I always thought my lower backache was from spraining my back 20 some years ago. But now I think it's from my uterus being out of place. I knew two years ago my uterus was at a stage 1 prolapse. In February I moved some furniture and three days later was in pain from my bladder dropping to a stage 3 and my uterus dropping more than it was previously. I had no idea this could cause so my back pain. I don't know anything about a tipped uterus and if it has anything to do with prolapse later. My Mom had a tipped uterus, she had surgery to correct it before I was born and never had any more problems. I do know the more births you have and if they are large babies, that can contribute to prolapse. I really didn't think moving furniture or lifing heavy objects could be a cause. I do now. I was surprised.

My doctor fitted me with a pessary. It holds you up in place somewhat. I didn't like the idea of it, but it's the BEST thing I did for myself. It has helped my back, hip, and leg pain (same as you mention) tremendiously. The hassle is you have to take it out once a week to clean it and for sex. I'm so uncomfortable with sex righ now that it's not a problem. I took the pessary (which I call my friend) out to do a urinary daily diary and by the second day I though I was going to scream from the pain. I put it back in and within a few hours was feeling much better. My surgery is June 5 and I know I could never have made it that long with the back, hip, leg and bladder pain I was having.

Talk to your doctor about one. But remember they come in many sizes and shapes. If one isn't comfortable go back and have him/her try another size or shape. Mine looks similar to a diaphragm. Easy in and easy out. Comfort level is...I don't even know it's there. And that's how it should be if it's fitted correctly.

I'm sorry to all my sisters for this being so long. But I want women to know that a pessary is an option for them. Yes it is temporary relief and well worth any hassle; especially if you're in pain.

Good luck. Will be looking to hear what you decided to do.

BarbH
Unread 05-05-2001, 09:00 PM

Hi!
I had an abdominal supracervical hyst on 3-14-01 due to multiple fibroids and uterine prolapse. The uterus was tipped up because of the fibroids growing in the wall of the uterus. The uterus also had prolapsed into the vagina where it got low enough to put pressure on the bladder. I had to have bladder repair during surgery to correct my urinary stress incontinence. The largest fibroid had caused my vagina to deviate enough to one side that I could no longer wear tampons! I had a lot of back pain before surgery, and I didn't know to connect this with my uterus. I was undergoing physical therapy for my back (I have scoliosis with a 40 degree lumbar curve) and when the physical therapist heard I was to have a hyst. he told me that he wondered if any of my pain would go away after surgery. I asked him why, and he explained that a fibroid uterus can pull on the ligaments that connect it to the spine and make the back hurt. My gyn also confirmed this and guess what? No back pain after surgery! It's gone! (Okay, I had a little soreness just after surgery because my back was trying to do the work of my incised abdominal muscles.) My prolapse doesn't sound as bad as yours is. My cervix never, er, fell out. This will sound a little gross, but if I put my finger into the vagina, I could touch the cervix just after the first joint of the finger passed inside of the vaginal opening. I don't know what degree of prolapse this was, but I know it got more uncomfortable to stand (and sit) for extended periods of time. I guess some of the sisters have tried a device called a pessary and have gotten relief from it. You would have to talk to your doctor about it because a doctor has to fit it. Only your doc would know if that was right for you.
Good luck on your search for answers.
Linda
P.S. I have never been pregnant so my prolapse wasn't caused by childbirth. I guess I just inherited some flabby tissue!
Unread 05-05-2001, 09:01 PM

Note about the fanny pak idea!!!
I use it a lot and I put a bag of frozen peas in a zip-lock bag and the put it inside the pak! This is because it is re-usable and conforms to any shape when you sit or stand. No bulk or what feels like hard rocks to lean against!
Peanut
Unread 05-06-2001, 12:49 PM

Hi,

I just thought I would also respond to your post. I also have a tipped uterus that is prolapsed along with my bladder and rectum! I will be having surgury 6-5-01 to correct these(my prolapse is at a 3.5 stage).

Terrie L.
Unread 05-06-2001, 10:50 PM

Hi Sheri! I was told at 21 that my uterus was "tipped". At 27 I found out that I had a 3rd degree cystocele (bladder prolapse) and a 2nd degree uterine prolapse. My bladder was prolapsed so bad, it was actually holding my uterus "up" so to speak.

As far as back and hip pain-I had it! Bad!

When I was told that I had a tipped uterus-I was not told that it could lead to a prolapsed uterus. But, that's what happend to me! (and you!) So, I hope all of this answers your questions!

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more! Take Care!
Unread 05-07-2001, 07:56 PM

Hi Sheri, I had my hyst because of fibroids, but my uterus was also tipped. I had hip pain so bad that I had to get out of bed in order to turn PCP diagnosed bursitis. The pain would flare up when I bled and recede when I was off my period (about 1 week out of a month ... sigh). When I had my hyst, the hip pain disappeared.

Somehow, I never associated it with my tipped uterus - I guess because of the bursitis diagnosis. Now, it's starting to make sense that it would hurt more the more I bled

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.