HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

thickening uterine wall thickening uterine wall

Unread 06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
thickening uterine wall

Just wanted to say hi. I was just told yesterday that I should consider a hysterectomy or other options presented to me due to the thickening of the uterine wall. So, I'm just checking this site out to see what information is out there.
Unread 06-10-2006, 06:33 PM
thickening uterine wall

Hi Kalena - You didn't mention how old you are and if you are perimenopausal or postmenopausal. I would definitely get a second or even third opinion if you were told to have a hyst for just a thickened lining without a biopsy or other medical information.

I had a thickened lining (14mm) and a biopsy showed simple hyperplasia and I was offered a hyst but I refused at the time and had a D&C (Feb 04). Then a year later I had a thickened lining again (8mm) and had a second D&C (with a different gyn) in March 05 and since then I have been fine. I'm in menopause now (no period since Sept 05).

If you are not comfortable with what you have been told then seek another opinion from another gyn in a different practice or even an oncologist/gyn since they are the experts when it comes to female cancer.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Mary in NY
Unread 06-10-2006, 08:46 PM
thickening uterine wall

Hi Kalena

I agree with (((Mary))) that a second opinion would be a very wise idea for you. (For anyone considering hysterectomy.) When I was found to have a thickened endometrial lining my doctor did an endometrial biopsy to be sure there was no cancer. Once that was out of the way we were able to discuss my options. I had already tried hormones, which is often a first step, so I was interested in trying an endometrial ablation.
My older sister had had an endometrial ablation that worked like magic for her, and I was eager to see if I would have the same good fortune. Unfortunately, the ablation didn't work for me ~but I'm glad I tried it. It was an easy procedure and recovery was very quick. (Unlike hysterectomy recovery.)

It might be helpful to you to ask your GYN for details on what other options are available to you & why. When you know what all your options are, you'll have better knowledge toward making the best decision for your indiviual case.
Good luck with your decisions.

Thinking of you & sending s,
Beth
Unread 06-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks to the two of you for responding

Thanks to the two of you for responding. I am perimenopausal, have my tubes tide and have 3 semi-grown children. At the time my doc gave me my options I had just finished the experience of an endometrial biopsy. The results of that should be back in about two weeks. She did give me my choices of endometrial abalation as well as the hysterectomy. I just the kind of person who, is thinking just take it out and be done with it. I haven't made up my mind yet though.
Unread 06-11-2006, 06:17 PM
thickening uterine wall

Kalena,
I strongly suggest you talk everything over with your doctor and do a lot of research on this site and others. I am having a hyster on 6/29 due to a thickening of the unterine wall and lots and lots of heavy bleeding over the past 2 years. I tried Prometruim, low dose estrogen birth control, low dose progestin birth control, D and C (multiple) and two failed ablations. Unfortunately for me nothing worked but I would try at least some of what I did. The 2nd ablation worked for a few months and it was wonderful - no bleeding. However my uterus was too large and it didn't work for long. I too was anxious and wanted a hyster but now that the time is near, I really wish another option had worked. It is such a big step. I am 53. Take care and check it all out. I am 53.
Unread 06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
thickening uterine wall

Howdy again, Kalena ~

I hope your biopsy results are okay. Once you know your results you & your doctors will have a better idea of how to proceed.

I also want to add that many women do have good results from endometrial ablations, we just don't see them posting here on a hysterectomy site. Here's a link to an Endometrial Ablation Discussion Group that might be helpful to you. The women who are closer to menopause seem to have better long-term success with E.A. In my circle of “ablation friends” ~~ 2 never had another period, one has much lighter periods now and still considers hers a success. I’m the only one that had to have a hysterectomy. (Mine failed due to adenomyosis.)

Gentle & best wishes,
Beth
Unread 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
close to choosing hysterectomy

I am new to the site but excited to find a forum specific to thickening uterine lining! I had heavy menstrual bleeding and opted for an ablation in 2004, though it wasn't quite complete due to fibroid in uterine wall. It seemed to help until about mid 2005, when I developed painful periods, crazy painful periods too similar to labor! Now I have a thickening uterine wall, a recurrent polyp, and the original fibroid, which is getting bigger. I have tried prescribed anti-inflamatories, which gave me an esphogeal ulcer and natural progesterone, but that seems to make my uterus enlarge even more severely. I wanted to avoid surgery and can't imagine when I could take 4-8 weeks to recover, but I also want my life back. I feel like my uterus is controlling my life. Has anyone had similar symptoms and success without opting for hysterectomy? Or with hyster? I need relief but I'm concerned about recovery time and effects on libido?
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Re: thickening uterine wall

[quote=sistabeth;1777520]
...... I’m the only one that had to have a hysterectomy. (Mine failed due to adenomyosis.)

I was recently diagnosed with adenomyosis. The Dr. could not see well into the uterus even under anesthesia due to tightness of cervix. She says she's probably 99% sure there's nothing to worry about. I'm wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion.
My Dr. suggests ultrasounds at 6 month intervals to keep a watch on the uterus (lining is 3x thicker than normal, no bleeding). I saw your post and know no one who has been diagnosed with this and I don't seem to be finding much info online. I'm wondering what your experiences have been or if your Dr. made similar suggestions.

Thanks and hope you're doing well,
LeB53
Unread 09-27-2009, 09:27 AM

I personally had at Uterine Ablation(endometreal)... It did not work for me at all.. I was offered a hysterectomy at the same time. I was 29 at the time, and mentally I needed to get over the fact that I could not have anymore children. I was told at 26 I needed a hysterectomy, but there again, I wanted more children. After I decided what I wanted to do, it was easier for me mentally to accept that I couldnt have anymore children. Though, I think that if I would have done a hysterectomy years ago, I would have had a hard time coping.
Looking back on it, last year I should have just done the hysterectomy. Then I wouldnt have gone through another horrible year of bleeding.
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:43 PM

My story is not unlike many of the others who replied. I have had problems with the thickening of the uterine lining for about 15 years. At age 18 I had fibroids and was diagnosed with PCOD.

At around age 28, the doc said I could take Progesterone or have a hyst. I took the Progesterone off and on through the years but I hated the side effects. It made me very emotional and edgy.

So, being the smart woman I am , I did nothing for 10+ years. I suffered through the 3-9 months menstrual cycles (yes, last year I bled for 9 months straight!) until my DH said, "Don't you think you should check into this?"

Reluctantly, I went to the OBGYN. During the 10+ years, I only went to him once. Again, I'm brilliant!

It was determined by D&C that I had Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia and was told that cancer could not be ruled out so off to a hysterectomy I went! Scariest decision of my life!

I am 6 weeks post-op now. Doc said my results showed that I was one stage before getting cancer so it was inevitable.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't do the hyst now, please just get regular check-ups and keep a better eye on it than I did. I wasn't ready to have a hyst at 28. Not because I planned on having more children, but because I was just too immature to deal with it. I am 40 now, life looks a lot different at 40. Not sure I am still mature enough...hee hee...but I did it anyway!

Best wishes and good luck. Keep us posted.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway