HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Iron...before or after surgery?... Iron...before or after surgery?...

Unread 06-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Iron...before or after surgery?...

I have Restless Leg Syndrome and at my last Dr. visit, (not gyn) he mentioned maybe taking Iron post op and that MAY clear up the RLS. Anyone had any experience with Iron before or after??
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:37 AM

Hi iteachum,

I too had RLS for several years. I never was actually diagnosed, but always kept a hairbrush by the bed and took Valerian Root at night, which helped. I've been pretty anemic for two years (at least) and started iron infusions in April. After the 2nd infusion I suddenly noticed...no more RLS!!!! I couldn't believe it! Oh Joy! I never correlated the two and can't say for sure that they are linked, but it's pretty coincidental, huh? I have one more iron infusion before my surgery to make sure everything stays where it's supposed to be as far as my blood goes so there's no need for a transfusion during surgery. Good luck!
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Thanks!! I am SO hoping that that is the case! I am hoping if I am anemic that they will prescribe some iron pills SOON!!! I go for pre-op on Monday, so hopefully will know more then. Thanks again for your thoughts, any advise is appreciated.
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:01 AM

If you start taking iron make sure your surgeon knows! From what I understand iron can also cause constipation. Since they don't want you straining after surgery, they will need to know there are added factors (more than just pain meds cause constipation) to help treat you correctly.
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:16 AM

Oh....Didn't think about that one...one problem at a time, I guess!
Unread 06-15-2006, 11:01 PM

I found out I had low iron defieceny (can't spell this late anymore) anemia and that's how I found out I had fibroids and hence, the TAH. To give you an idea on how bad, the iron saturation in my blood was at 2% (keep in mind I also had a low blood count) and the normal levels for my lab was 15-55%. SO...I was quickly put on iron and am still on them. My Dr has me on 150mg once a day, but I believe I have read of people taking iron 3x a day, just not sure on what the overall dosage on that is.

Anyway, iron can cause constipation but my one bowl of frosted mini wheats a day seems to keep that at bay. I also think (key word "think") that I am on a low dosage because I was once diagnosed w/ Irriatable Bowel Syndrome so am kinda prone to all types of bowel issues. So I'm on the "6 months to higher iron in the blood" plan as opposed a quicker one. I'm also making an effort to eat more iron rich/fortified foods. So typically, I wake up, take my iron w/ a glass of OJ or Tang (vit C helps the body absorb more iron). About half an hour later, I eat my wheats and somewhere around lunch I eat a thing of yogurt (for the cultures as I am also prone to yeast infections...tmi).

If I miss my bowl of wheats, I will have difficulty w/ my BM that night or the next day. Like clockwork. That's not a "might have" it's a "will have". I did NOT take my iron while in the hospital after surgery, but did take it the first morning after I got home, per Dr instructions. I was also on a stool softner, but mostly stopped taking those after my first week home.

As for RLS, I have to say that I haven't ever been diagnosed by a Dr, but I sure have what the commercials and web sites say are symptoms. Since the surgery, it has lessened considerably. It only seems to crop up if I've been sitting entirely too long at the computer and occassionally before bed. This makes me assume that if I did have RLS, it was more than likely due to the anemia (man that anemia can cause so much in the way of "little" probs!) and as my blood gets better, so do I.

Not sure if this really answered any of your questions, but feel free to PM me if you like and I'll try to answer at a decent hour where I'll be more coherent!
Unread 06-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Dr. has me on iron 325 prescribed not over the counter. You know what my RLS also is gone (lol)
iron can also cause constipation,yes today I worked all day on this even with taking stool softner.
They say two steps foreward and one back, has one back today.
TAH BSO on 6/6/06

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.