HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How to speed recovery? How to speed recovery?

Unread 06-15-2006, 10:59 AM
How to speed recovery?

Hi - I am having my surgery on July 17. Does anyone out there recommend a holistic product to help speed recovery? Such as arcina montana? Also, should I stay at hospital one night after surgery or should I just go home same day or go to a assisted care place for a couple of nights? I live alone and have cats. I am having uterus and ovaries removed leaving cervix - done in the minimally invasive way - not vaginally and not with big incision. Thank you for any input. Janice
Unread 06-15-2006, 11:26 AM
How to speed recovery?

Hi Janice. I had abdominal surgery & was alone from the get go after the castle. I lived in the recliner the first week. I also have cats...3 of them. I didn't think to put cat litter in small bags pre-op. I didn't think to put the litter box up high where I could reach it either. Now I remember that they make disposable litter boxes that would have been light enough for me to lift....had I thought of it before surgery, lol. I'm just over 2 weeks post-op & still cannot bend. (I had uterus & cervix removed, adhesions removed & kept ovaries.) I have just been letting my cats outside to lessen the need for changing the litter box. One of my cats is declawed, so she's always been an indoor cat, but she's fine. She has the other 2 to look out for her. She manages to scare my rottweiler away from her so I think she'll be fine, lol.

I don't know that there is anything to speed recovery other than getting plenty of rest (sometimes easier said than done) & drinking lots of water, positive attitude, keeping on top of your pain meds & following doc's orders. I've never been into the holistic stuff though, so what do I know, lol. I'm anxious to see if anyone suggests anything holistic to speed recovery too.
Unread 06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
How to speed recovery?

Hi Janice -

I see a naturpathic (sp?) doctor on a regular basis.

When I asked him what I should take for recovery from my TAH/BSO/TVT surgery (scheduled July 11th), he said the most natural and quickest way to heal includes:
*drinking loads of water
*walk every day (a little more each day)
*rest (don't overdo)
*laugh (whenever possible)

I hope this is as easy as it sounds.

Annette
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM
How to speed recovery?

Thank you for that input! God bless you. I just bought a recliner.
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
How to speed recovery?

Hi Lammie123,

It sounds like you are having a LSH, from what you shared. It is a less invasive, laparoscopic hyst that leaves the cervix.

Here are a couple of links on the LSH:

http://www.goodgyn.com/lsh.html

http://www.laparoscopicsupracervicalhysterectomy.com/

I had my LSH at an outpatient facility at 7:30 AM and went home at 6:00 PM. I had my DH and mom to help. I might suggest if you leave the same day to possibly find a family member or friend to stay with you overnight. It was just a little slow going right after surgery. I just needed a little help getting in and out of bed the first night and someone to retrieve my meds, etc. Just a little TLC. By Day 2, I could move around - just very slowly. Even went up and down the stairs in my house.

As the other ladies suggested, just take it easy the first couple of weeks. Lots of R & R. Eat healthy, drinks lots of water to prevent a UTI, no lifting and get some light walking in when you feel up to it. And just remember...in post-op, we LSH ladies can look great on the outside and we are still healing on the inside. Just say no if something sounds like too much.

I am 2 yrs post-op and I am still so glad I was a candidate for a LSH. I have my quality of life back.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:34 PM
How to speed recovery?

Mary, omigod, thanks for your input and links. Very helpful and comforting. My ovaries are going too cuz one has an apricot sized septated cyst. I have been in much fear, but today I sorta embraced this surgery - I've been trying to hang on to my organs for three years now and have tried everything holistic imaginable. I'm 55, and stopped taking HRT some months ago. Major hot flashes live with me. Perhaps I can get back on HRT when surgery over. Thanks again, Janice
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:28 PM
How to speed recovery?

I used arnica both orally and topically right after surgery, my dh smuggled it into the hospital room for me. I also used some essential oils topically after my wound closed......I did ask my Dr. about these, and in typical western med fashion she replied 'they won't help, but they won't hurt either'. My surgery was uneventful, and according to a comment by my Dr. at my 1week check, I was ahead recoverywise. Good luck
Unread 06-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Thank you for that info

I just ordered Sinnech from alpinepharm.com. This is a really good arnica product I gather. We're on the same page. That is great that your recovery was better than expected. Yay. On a different note, the sheer nerves of going to the doctor for THIRD opinion had me break out in hives. I have only broken out in hives one other time - when I had to perform alone on stage after a 10 year hiatus. Scary to have to go through this. I don't like riding an elevator in a medical office building much less have surgery to remove organs. First time for me since I was born. Oy. Thanks for your support. Janice

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.