HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Cost of testosterone cream? Cost of testosterone cream?

Unread 06-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Cost of testosterone cream?

Hello.
Can anyone who is using 1% Testosterone cream (in a lotion type of base) please tell me what they pay for it? My RX was called in to the pharmacy and I received a call back from the pharmacist saying that my insurance won't cover it. He told me that it is $140.00 for a 30 day supply. I think that sounds really high. He told me that it is put into prefilled measured syringes that you just squeeze the medication out of. That way,patients are assured they are using the right dosage. I asked him if he would just put it in a jar and let me dispense it myself to cut down on the cost but he refused. I called my insurance company and they told me that they won't cover it because compounded drugs are "experimental".
Has anyone else encountered this and how much are you paying without the help of insurance?
Thanks ladies for your input.
Unread 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM

Hi!

That sounds really, really high to me. Without insurance I think my compounded testosterone would run around $40 for a 30 day supply. My insurance covers it so I pay $10, and a 30 day supply actually lasts me at least 6 months so it's very inexpensive.

I used to get my compounded testosterone from a compounding pharmacy which dispensed it in the pre-filled applicators, and it ran about the same as what I now get in a jar which I measure myself using the needle-free syringe provided.

I think it would be a good idea to call around an ask for the price at different pharmacies. Compounding pharmacies often participate in mail orders, so that might be an option worth exploring. You can check for compounding pharmacies in your area by using the locator feature on this site: www.iacprx.org.

I hope you can find a cheaper source for your compounded testosterone!

s
Unread 06-18-2006, 11:31 PM

I agree, that sounds high. Mine is $47 for what used to be a 30 day supply using it every day (it now lasts me more than a year!). My insurance has a $30 copay on compounded HRT's so they pay for $17 of the $47. Mine just comes in a jar that has a push-up bottom. I don't have any problems with the fact that I don't use pre-measured quantities; in fact, it lets me decide according to how I feel how much to use.

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-19-2006, 04:54 AM

That sounds very high to me also! I pay around $31 for a 30 day supply. It does pay to shop around as when my doctor's nurse was checking prices for me, the prices on all 3 of my scripts varied, with the high being $300!
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:19 AM

Thank you to all of you who replied. You backed up what I felt about the cost of the RX being too high. I am going to call my doctors office today and ask them to try calling it in to a different pharmacy. I do have one other compounding pharmacy in my area that I can try. If that doesn't work out, is it cheaper (and is it safe) to order from one of the pharmacies online?

Thank you again for your help!
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:36 AM

If the other pharmacy you try is also high in price, I think calling additional compounding pharmacies is a good way to go. There are some which are advertisers on this site you might want to consider if you can't find something in your state or in a neighboring state. Check for links at the bottom of this page.

s
Unread 06-19-2006, 09:18 AM

All the compounded hormones I've used have been a $20 co-pay and one time I bought them without insurance and it was $30 (per hormone). I use Medicine Shoppe.
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:50 PM

Ladies,
I had the doctor call my prescription into another pharmacy in my area and guess what??? They covered it under my insurance! I don't have any idea why there could be a difference of $120.00 for the same thing but I am so happy I got it!!!
Thanks for all of the support. I really appreciate it!
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:54 PM

Yay!

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-20-2006, 07:00 PM

That's super news! I'm glad you got it and hope it works for you. Keep us posted, okay?

s

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.