HRT...Cost?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-19-2006, 08:15 AM
HRT...Cost??

hi!
I am having a TAH/BSO and am sure that I will have to have HRT post-op. I know it varies with every person, but, does anyone have a guesstimate as to the cost of HRT??? Or, could you tell me how many pills are involved, with insurance, I pay $55 for each regular prescription and $30 for generics. I know that everyone is different, but am trying to get some idea of future costs. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2006, 09:09 AM
HRT...Cost??

hi i had tah bso and first they put me on climara patch 0.06 and they had to switch to a higher dose,and my friend had the higher dose so i don't know if that made a differance in pricebecause she gave me hers,because she was switched...the lower one was $38.69 for a month supply wth no insurance,and when i went to 2 week check up they changed it to vivelle dot.because i was complaining of the size was huge i don't know if they were generic or not but the dr. gave me samples of the vivelle enough to last until my next visit..so before you go spending your money,,ask for samples, i don't have a perscription plan and if your not sure what you'll be useing just ask the doc they will proabily start you out on the lowest and see how you do,and then work up if you need it,the vivelle dot i have is about the 1 1/4 of a in. by 1 in...and is see through i hope this helps.. good luck!!
Unread 06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
HRT...Cost??

Hi iteachum!

I take one generic pill per day, and my bottle of 30 pills only costs me a $10 co-pay. If I were you, I would try a generic version first, to save $25 per month. My pharmacist explained to me that generics are the same medicine, they are just manufactured by a different company than the one who first sold the product.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2006, 12:10 PM
HRT...Cost??

Hi!

It's going to depend on how many hormone prescriptions you need. I'm using four to keep me feeling balanced. One is for Vivelle Dot, which is my systemic estrogen, one is for Vagifem, my vaginal estrogen, and I have one each for progesterone cream and testosterone cream. Some women do fine on just systemic estrogen but I'm sure not one of them. There's no way to know in advance if you will be one who can get by on estrogen alone or if you will need multiple prescriptions. As for costs, I order my Vivelle and Vagifem from my insurance company and get 3 months' worth at a time, paying $20 for each prescription ($40 total for three months) I pay a $10 co-pay for my progesterone which I get from my local compounding pharmacy. I get that filled every month. I also pay the $10 co-pay for my compounded testosterone but I get that filled just twice a year as it doesn't take much testosterone to keep my libido where I want it to be.

You didn't mention why you are having your ovaries removed as a part of your surgery. If they are healthy and you don't have any risk factors such as for cancer or endometriosis, maybe keeping them would be in your best interest. Hormones made by the ovaries are free!

If you do end up needing hormone therapy, generics are worth a try and getting free samples from the doctor is a good way to try out various methods of delivery before deciding what you want to have prescribed. It's a good idea to call around to various pharmacies as prescription costs do vary. To learn more about your estrogen choices, read articles #10 - 13 in this link to the Hormone Jungle Articles.

Keep in mind that it takes several weeks for any hormone therapy to reach optimal levels in the body and that the early weeks of recovery are often a time of hormone fluctuation--with or without ovaries, on or off hormone therapy. Some women are lucky enough to find the right hormone therapy on the first try while others have to try different doses,methods of delivery and hormone combinations before finding balance.

I hope this helps you!

s

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register