HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

When did you start driving? When did you start driving?

Unread 06-20-2006, 08:10 AM
When did you start driving?

I'm 4 weeks post op today! Doc gave me the go ahead at 2wks but was scared to. I had a TAH. I am feeling great right now and am going to attempt a "short" drive tomorrow, LOL..

I was just wondering when you all started driving and it did it cause alot of pain?

Thanks,
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:16 AM

Waited 'til week 6 because didn't need to drive. No pain ....but when I had to make sudden stop, thought I was going to throw up (I guess it was some sort of panic attack that it was going to hurt something)
Mind you I also panic if a big dog comes near me in case it jumps up at my belly!
I would plan route to avoid traffic lights/crossings on 1st drive if poss.
Good luck
Liz
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Thanks Liz,
I actually "thought" about a dog crossing in front of me. I'm serious! I am scared if I have to suddenly brake. Ugh, I torture myself with my own thoughts!

I am going to avoid alot of hazardous spots I am just scared all the good days I have been feeling will be a bad day by the end of the day if that makes sense!
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:34 AM

I tried driving at about 4 weeks. Tried driving around the driveway first to practice. (Doesn't that sound funny? I've had my license for quite a few years!) That way I could hit the brakes pretty hard and see what the effect was. Had some delayed pain...couple seconds later and whammo! Nothing intolerable, just my body saying, hellooooo? what are you doing?

I thought before my hyst...what do you mean I can't drive? All I use are my legs. I was surprised post op how much I did use my abdominal muscles.

Next day, I drove about 2 miles to the store. Next trip was 10 miles round trip. Next trip at almost 6 weeks was 45 min long. I found that I am more comfortable, with the swelly belly, to have my legs a bit apart. I realized yesterday on the 45 min trip that I was using the brake with the outside edge of my foot! As if you are putting the bottoms of your feet together. Not the safest!

I wouldn't recommend a huge trip to start and honestly, I was glad I had the practice

I go back to work next week with a 1.5 hr round trip commute. I feel like I'll be ready!!

Good Luck!
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:37 AM

I'm 4 weeks today and I have not driven yet. At my 2 week appt the dr told me I could ride in a car but she didn't want me driving yet. Maybe when I see her on Friday she'll let me. I don't have anywhere to go anyway.

Amy
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Doctor gave me the ok to drive at 3 weeks (I am 4 weeks today!), but he told me short drives - like to the store and back. My first time out I was a bit nervous, but it felt sooooooooo good to get out! I will be going back to work Wed and Friday of this week, but only for 1 hour - nice ha? So I will be driving again.
I can't wait for the day when I get in and out of a car and NOT think about my TAH!
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Thanks Ladies,
I enjoy reading all the posts and appreciate your comments...I think the practice thing is something I will do!

Unread 06-20-2006, 08:44 AM

wow.. Im worried now.. the doc didnt tell me not to drive???? I know not to drive with the pain meds but didnt know anything else.. hmmm
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:47 AM

Hi,
I tried driving at the 2 wk mark but found it competly exhausting.Tried again yesterday and all went well. Wouldn't be planning any long trips but okay to just run up to the school and back picking up my DS.Having a very slow and easy recovery,but it's so hard when "superwoman" peeks out and wants to do more Try a few small test drives,see how it goes! good luck!!
hugs,Pam
Unread 06-20-2006, 08:50 AM

I honestly think its more fear stopping me! LOL. I really thought this surgery was going to be a "walk in the park" so to speak I quickly learned otherwise. My doc told me not to be scared and if it caused pain, just to rest my body and try it again later..Hmmm, the joys of being a woman

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.