HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary

Unread 06-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Dermoid tumor w/ teeth & hair on ovary

Yes, you heard it right.... I was just told today that I have a dermoid tumor on my right ovary that apparently contains things like teeth, hair, bones and skin! I can only imagine this venus flytrap looking thing in there waiting for his hunk of hamburger or a bigt juicy fly!!! My husband thinks that he may have been bitten a few times during sex....well, we all to laugh about something after news like this!!!

I am going to have my right ovary removed, and I have the option of having my uterus removed as well. I have an enlarged uterus, long and heavy periods, irregular periods, have had endometriosis and polyps and I have low iron that I can't seem to get up. The dr. said that medically he could get my surgery for the uterus removal approved because of all my past problems, but it is a personal opinion. I am taking a few days to make up my mind and will call the dr. with my answer.

So here's where my hyster sister friends are needed. I don't want to make a decision to remove my uterus just because I can't take those periods anymore (even though I would like to.) I need your opinions on whether or not I should remove my uterus. I'm 46...almost died when my son was born...don't EVER want to be pregnant again. The pain with my periods has been getting worse all the time. (I'm the one who always says she gives birth to her liver once a month!) My mother died from ovarian cancer before she was 50. And I want to do the right thing.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

I'm not attached to my uterus, and that tumor with the overbite can't be taken out fast enough!!!!
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Do what is right for you

That is just a picture in my mind that I don't need!
Of course you should do your research and discuss it fully with your Dr. But, from what you have said, I'd say take as much as is medically indicated, including the uterus. Especially with a history of cancer in your family why would you want to risk leaving anything in that might go south on you? Kind of a "while you're in the neighborhood" approach. My attitude when my Dr said it was time was, I'm not using it anymore, so why not get everything possible at one time? Other ladies might have a different view and very valid reasons for not doing that. That was just my first reaction--after taking a moment to visualize the tumor. . .
Unread 06-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Hi there. I want you to think very carefully about making a final decision about your ovary. When I had what turned out to be a fibroid years ago, the doc told me immediately after the ultrasound that my right ovary was so enlarged that it had to be removed immediately & that I better prepare myself to have a total hysterectomy if he felt it necessary while he was in there. I was 29 with no kids, so I freaked out the 6 days until surgery. Well, I just noticed this recently on the report from that surgery.... On the report he stated his pre-op diagnosis was a DERMOID. (He never mentioned this to me, but it's what he put in the records.) When he operated it was the fibroid that was "blocking the view" of the ovary, which was perfectly fine. Thankfully that doc knew my desire to be able to have kids & he removed the fibroid & left everything else.

The doctors cannot tell what you really have going on until they go in. If I were in your shoes, I would make a very clear list of "only remove my ovary IF .... ". You don't want the doc to go in there & have to make a judgement call when/if he discovers he was wrong & you have x, y or z & really don't have reason to remove your ovary. It scared me too when I looked up the term dermoid, even though it was 8 years after the fact, lol, so I understand how creepy that is to think you have one inside you. I'll pray that you don't really have one & you have a smooth surgery & speedy recovery.
Unread 06-23-2006, 06:32 AM

For me, the decision was a quality of life issue. If I absolutely had to live like this for the rest of my life, I could. But I know deep down I'll be a happier person without the blood and the pain and the constant paranoia/worry. And maybe it's being a native californian, but I do believe in better living through pharmacuticals I'm 'only' 29, but I'm not regretting this decision in the slightest and I'm looking forward to being free of this burden. Yeah, things could go wrong, but as surgeries go it's fairly straight-forward and I'm feeling very very confident... 99% of the time. Later on, I'll post my list of things that pop up in my head as worries, and what I do/am doing to deal with'm.
Unread 06-23-2006, 07:58 AM

wow, i had a dermoid cyst too - my jaw hit the floor when the doc told me, and of course we all joked about the bizarreness of it all. i told my friends i was seeing the dentist when i had it removed (there was a fully formed molar in it!). anyway, i had the right ovary along with the cyst removed this past january via laproscope. my recovery was great - back to work in 3 days. only pain was from that gas they pump into you - and i wish my docter would have warned me about - i thought something was terribly wrong at the time. my history sounds very similar to yours, tootser. i'm 43, have had endo and ruptured cysts, painful periods, etc and am now scheduled for a TAH and removal of my other ovary in three weeks and in my own experience, i wish i had had it done the first time when the right ovary was removed. so that's my advice, begone with it all!
Unread 06-23-2006, 11:12 AM

First I want to say that you sound very funny!!!!!! If we lived closer I would have to meet you!!! LOL I had a friend years ago that had one of those tumors with teeth and hair on it...When I was diagnosed with firbroids all I could think of was if it was the same as hers. When I told my daughters they laughed and said I was nuts! I have to let them read this post... You sound like me...I tell everyone my period IS LIVER and they say I am nut about that too. I do give birth to it each and every month also!!! My doctor did not tell me I HAVE to have my uterus removed...he offered me other alternatives, but I am tired of the intense amount of bleeding, pain and also afraid to keep getting periods like this... Since he advised me that it was not going to stop in the near future, and I am 48 now, I decided away with it. The fibroids are really painful during my cycle also. the decision is yours, but I feel like one of the other ladies who posted, that my decision is for the quality of life.. I am getting excited about it now. Especially because Aunt Flo is visiting and giving it her last harrahhh right now. Let us know what you decide. I also see that you have a family history of this stuff......Something else to think about...
Unread 06-23-2006, 12:59 PM

I say take it all. I had both my cervix and uterus removed. Now I don't have to worry about cervical or uterine cancer AND I won't have to spend all my time in the bathroom when Aunt Flo visits. I had very heavy, irregular bleeding and huge clots. I was afraid to wear light colored pants. I kept my ovaries for hormonal reasons (they are healthy). Whatever you decide, good luck to you!
Unread 06-23-2006, 03:32 PM

I would say with all the facts presented to you, I'd have it all removed. With cancer in your family - I am a beliver of get it before it gets you ( I lost my mom to Breast Cancer in 2005) I have always been interested in anatomy and biological sciences, but that would absolutely freak me out. I'd think aliens had landed! I know that these are not uncommon, but I'd have to tell people that I was carrying an alien baby! (My humor is very twisted :-)
Seriously, I would consider the TAH/BSO option.

Best of Luck to you!
Unread 06-23-2006, 06:03 PM

HI tootser....I had the same tumor on my left ovary....Have you looked it up it is ugly looking....I told my doctor that I had a little minnie me...My husband told me that I should of asked to keep so he could make a key chain,,,,Hes not right..
Unread 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM

You just gave yourself the answer! Reread your post and pretend it is me. What advice would you give me knowing that information? I hope you can find an answer which will give you peace.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.