HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bowel Obstruction? Bowel Obstruction?

Unread 06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Bowel Obstruction?

Yes, do you believe I had yet ANOTHER bowel question?? LOL

I saw the radiation/onco today after they took some Xrays....something they said they will do weekly. She told me that the Xrays are showing pieces of bowel where the uterus used to be. She's concerned it's an obstruction so she called the gyne/onco. The G/O said not to worry about it and that first they have to cure the cancer, then she'll handle any obstruction issues.

Now at that moment I thought that this couldn't be...I mean...things are moving right along in there! I figured that hey the uterus was right before the rectum...so since it's not there wouldn't it be normal for bowel to show if it's "on it's way out"?

PLease correct me if I'm wrong!

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to still have BM's if there's an obstruction. To me obstuction means nothing can get passed...but you never know in the medical world! Anyone have experience with this??

Oh and to top it off my lovely G/O is also pushing for the internal rads...even though the R/O isn't sure that's *neccissary* and that 28 external may be alright. (as oppossed to 25 external & 3 internal) Skipping the internal would mean chopping 3 weeks off my treatments! And because of the way I started 28 external would leave the last week as one full week instead of 2 days on the last week.

I'm not sure if I want to love my G/O for being so proactive in my treatments or beat her over her head for extending this so much longer!!
Unread 06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Bowel Obstruction?

jeepers Vega..I dunno what to think about that. My thoughts are like yours. I truly hope this is nothing. ANd htat whatever treatments you need to be cancer free will be what you get. Whether 25 or more. No more than needed.

I was just going to come tease you and warn you about eating salad. It is day 9 rads for me, had salad for lunch and WHOA! Thats all I am gonna say....
Unread 06-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Bowel Obstruction?

LOL Thanks for the warning Soapnherb! I don't know what to eat anymore...things are moving at the moment, don't want them to "stop"...but they are moving just a tad much for my liking.

Oh, my other question on this is how is an obstruction handled? Please don't tell me it's more surgery!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.