HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone had a large stomach & slow recovery after Myomectomy? Anyone had a large stomach & slow recovery after Myomectomy?

Unread 06-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Anyone had a large stomach & slow recovery after Myomectomy?

Hi all

I've just come across this site and seen messages from ladies who have had Myomectomy's.

Has anyone has taken longer than usual to heal as I have heard it can take 12 weeks or longer for some people to heal, although 6-8 weeks is the usual time span.

I am still recovering and this is my 7th week. The fibroid was about an 18 week pregnancy size and after surgery I had a flat stomach.

I was being cared for by my family for the first two weeks and I think I had too much bed rest as I now know you have to keep active, but it was so painful.

I felt as if I could do stuff on my own after the two weeks and moved back home to care for myself. I didn't lift anything heavy (I had friends and family helping me out) but noticed that my stomach had started to swell.

I've had a scan and there is a blood clot in the uterus which has not been reabsorbed back into the body as it usually is, and my uterus is still bruised and swollen from the surgery (it's the same size as before post-surgery).

Iíve only heard of a friend of my mothers who took long to heel and wondered if anyone else could share their stories with me. Other than that I feel fine am walking and moving around normally and can do everything OK.

Please only post if you took a little longer to recover than was expected, as there isn't much information on the net about us 'slow-healers'.

Hope you're all doing well!!

Thanks

Unread 06-30-2006, 11:32 PM

Hi Donanne:

You may find more myomectomy gals at the fibroid websites. Here is a link to the fibroids section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

I hope you are feeling better soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 07-02-2006, 06:54 AM

Hi Twysmiling

Thanks for the message

I thought that there was also a myomectomy section in this forum but thank you for your cyberhugs.
Unread 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Hi Donane,
I'm only two weeks and a day post-myomectomy (16-week sized uterus with 33 fibroids, plus 1 large peduculated fibroid of the same size outside the uterus), but I wanted you to know you're not alone. In addition to this website, I've been getting tons and tons of support and information from another site, a Yahoo message board site, just for women dealing with uterine fibroids. See if this link works for you... http://groups.yahoo.com/adultconf?de...ids%2Fmessages. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll figure out another way to get you there.

Anyway, like I said, I'm only two weeks post-myo. Still having lots of swelling and bruising from my pelvic bone up to quite a bit above the incision (still waiting for that "flat" stomach!). The incision itself still hurts and one side of it especially is tender all around the incision. I still get really tired pretty quick and my back HURTS from trying to hold myself vertical. Like you, I sort of thought it would be a piece of cake - I'd come home from the hospital and have a couple of days of discomfort and then be right back to doing all my same things (minus the exercise). But it hasn't turned out that way. I'm learning from that Yahoo site that everyone is different - some bounce right back and others take a while. Also, I hear lot of "three steps forward, two steps back" which is still... one step forward. Most important is that you don't push yourself and mess something up on the inside. You only have one chance to heal the right way. My doctor said the swelling could take a few months to go away completely and even then could come and go for up to a year just depending on my activity levels. Keep taking good care of yourself and keep on your doctors if you feel something isn't quite right down there. Also, though it's hard, don't compare your recovery to others - everyone's body is different, everyone's fibroid particulars are different, and everyone's surgeons are different, and everyone's immune systems and healing capabilities are different. As a little self-encouragement tool, jot down every little improvement or step forward you make so you can remember how far you've actually come since the day of your surgery. Hang in there, keep walking, and feel free to email me if you need to. -Cindy
Unread 07-12-2006, 07:45 AM

Hi Cindy

Thanks for the message and I hope your recovery is going well. Wow, you had a lot of fibroids and Iím glad your op went well.

I tried the link and it takes me to the site, so Iíll find the group on the main yahoo list and join up.

Iíve previously looked look for websites with forums and messages on post-myomectomy, but couldnít seem to find any. I thought that it would be great if there was a Myomectomy site for that and if I had the skills, support and information Ė Iíd start my own!!

Ohh, the Ďflat stomachí is lovely!! I had it for a few weeks after the op and Iím waiting patiently for it to come back!

Have you worked out how to get in and out of bed easily yet Ė I swear we need a really good information sheet before the op!! Itís only after a few days in hospital that I asked my consultant if there was a technique and she said rolling was good. And have you had the horrible little stabbing wind pains?? Lots and losts of Ginger tea and Peppermint tea gets rid of that.

Iím just hoping that I havenít pushed myself too hard and that everything is healing OK, but Iíve had a scan and wasnít told that anything was wrong Ė so I hope all is as it should be.

Everything you read about Myomectomy says 6-8 weeks and youíll be fine, so it will be interesting reading the messages after I join the group.

Iím walking well but still a bit sore and tender. Iím not sure if the swelling is going down yet, but Iím healing and getting stronger every day. Iíve slowed right down within the last week or so as Iíve realized that iím STILL HEALING and must take it easy.

Iíll contact you on the board in a few days when Iíve got a bit of time to read the messages.

Take care
Unread 07-14-2006, 11:56 PM

I had a myomectomy a few years ago. It was at least a year before my belly felt & looked normal. The recovery was about the same as my hyst recovery seems to be going. The worst of the worst is over with around 6-8 weeks, but took a year-ish to not be constantly conscious of the surgery.
Unread 07-15-2006, 05:05 AM

Hi itstime

Thanks for the post, i've been hearing long time periods from other sources as well so at least i know that it isn't a quick recovery for everyone.

Hope your Hyst recovery is going well.
Unread 07-15-2006, 06:25 PM

Donane,
Sorry it's taken me so long to write you back. I hope you are feeling better and better by the day. Tomorrow will be three weeks post-myo for me... at about 2 weeks & 4 days, I started to notice a definite improvement in my energy level and pain tolerance. Seems like that was some kind of "hump day" or something, but my tummy is still a bit swollen pretty much from just below my belly button to just below my incision. Some days it's more swollen than others. The skin all around my incision is still pretty sensitive to the touch, and I'm forcing myself to get familiar with it by massaging the whole area. Hopefully the more I touch it, the less sensitive it will become. I bought some 100% raw Shea Butter and am rubbing it on the area for a few minutes in the morning and at night (one of many recommendations on this site and the other one for reducing the visible scar). I've been walking a little more than a half mile up until now, but yesterday I walked a long walk - maybe more than a mile. I'm finding my walking is faster now, and my back is hurting less and less as I use my abdominal muscles more and more (now that I know I can and it doesn't hurt as much). But I'm still taking the Motrin because my doctor said it's okay to keep using it as an anti-inflammatory (which I'm hoping will help reduce the swelling).

As for getting out of bed... I have an iron bed with vertical bars at the headboard. I reach up and grab the top horizontal bar and sort of pull myself up half way with one arm, and then the other arm pushes me up the rest of the way. Getting in and out of bed was never a really big problem for me though... maybe because I didn't have a recliner to sleep in instead.

Have you checked out the uterine fibroid Yahoo message board site yet? I've been keeping an eye out for you there, but haven't seen you yet. Keep in touch!
-Cindy
Unread 07-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Hi there

Hey Cindy

Glad to hear you're doing well and the Shea butter definitely sounds like a good idea as its good for scarring. Iíve got some as I use it anyway, but Iíll start rubbing on my stomach to heal the scar.

I havenít been as active over the last day and Iím beginning to feel tired and a little bit sluggish so Iím off for a walk in the park as itís a really sunny day. I just pop my ipod on and Iím off!! Walking is excellent and if I walk around the park near me (luckily itís a really big one) it takes about 45 mins to an hour, so thatís some good walking there!.

Funnily enough I thought ďI must have a look through the Yahoo messagesĒ and have just been trying to search for post op recovery information and all I can say is Ö. ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Why, oh why canít they just have a lovely forum to make it easy to find things??. Maybe itís me (it probably is) but Iíve used the search facility but it brings up pages of duplicate messages that arenít really want Iím looking for. I haven't used the Yahoo boards before and tried accessing it via email and the web, but itís still a bit confusing for me the way its set out.

Iíll try again later, but maybe you can give me some tips on how to make the best use of it. I hope your recovery continues to goes well and Iíve PMíd you my email address. Iím off to soak up some sun as us Brits havenít had a heat wave like this in years!!

Byee

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.