HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision? Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision?

Unread 07-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Swelly belly "shelf" over tight incision?

It is very interesting reading all of the "shelf" belly statements. I had a "pouf" that was extremely painful to the touch and "bulging" on one side more than the other. (My hyst was Apr 28) After many anti-inflamatories and no luck...I was referred to a plastic surgeon. He immediately discovered I had a "traumatic neuroma" and needed to be surgically removed. 2 weeks post surgery, I finally feel GREAT! My stomach is flat and there is NO pain to the touch (some incision pain still). Not sure this info will help anyone, but I "knew" it was not normal and would not give up until I felt better!
Unread 07-21-2006, 04:38 PM

Mine sounds the same as yours! It's like someone put a roll of cookie dough under my skin above my incision. I lightly wrap it with an ace bandage when I'm up and about. It takes the pressure off a bit. Good luck.
Unread 08-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Oh my goodness, this shelf thing has been bothering me too. I am so glad I am not in this alone. Would someone please let me know if it does get better. I had such a buldge before where my uterus was so large, but nothing like this!! Crazy me thought the surgery would help with the buldge !! now I have a shelf!!
Unread 08-11-2006, 01:57 PM

Hi, I had surgery May 24th and recently have been noticing that my shelf did go down a bit. It gets easier to wear your old clothes also, as you become less sore, so it seems less of an issue. I still get swollen if I exercise too much or over do it. Still become very tired at times also, even this far out. I can even wear a bathing suit now and you can't really see the shelf, although my stomach isn't as flat as it was before. My friend showed me her C-section scar from a year ago, and she had a little shelf, and she's very thin, so I'm not sure if it will ever totally be flat again. My other friend that is a nurse, said it's still early to tell, but you can always find a plastic surgeon to do a scar revision if it really bugs you. It has gone down alot though, so hang in there, it takes a long time.
Unread 08-11-2006, 02:49 PM
"Shelf" is a great description!

I love this thread! It gave me a good laugh (even though it hurts to laugh!)

I had a small shelf after my c-section, a bit larger after my laparoscopy in July, and now a mega-shelf since the TAH!

I just ordered the swelly belly band. I'm hoping it will help with the results of gravity!
s to all!
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:30 PM

Hi, yes, I still have the shelf. Mine is still swollen, numb. My friend who had 2 c-sections, showed me hers after a year and she had a flabbier type of shelf, but said you can't really see it when she wears a bikini. It was helpful that she showed me hers. Now, I think I have a hernia, found a hard spot over my belly button and my left side is larger. That is above the shelf though, since I had a scope, then horizontal TAH scar. I've heard others on this site with the shelf also.
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:47 PM

My doc. told me at my two week check up that the 'shelf' was a hematoma from peeling back the skin underneath and that it would go down in time. I am hoping so, I don't want to be dealing with this for a long time to come! It makes everything I wear uncomfortable because of the sensation against it when my clothes move. Yikes! All I want is for it to go away, it is the one thing that is keeping me from feeling really, really great
Unread 08-26-2006, 09:34 AM

I am 8 months out and my belly is getting larger. After walking this morning for 30 minutes, I realize that I have a dull-colored bruise above my incision that is pretty large. Also, my belly is still numb from the surgery.

I am going to call my doc on Monday. Have any of you experienced this?
Unread 08-27-2006, 07:06 AM

Hi Sises, I can't believe this "shelf" thread, that I actually started at the end of June, is living on long enough for me to see some real, true improvement in my Swelly Belly. I went through every phase of thinking it had to be something like a hernia or hemotoma or seroma or something (Actually I still think it may have had some of the seroma or hemotoma because it was as solid as a watermelon and did not go down like other Sises in the A.M. I figured I'd play a waiting game, as surgery would have been the only answer and it wasn't really hurting with all the numbness. Well, guess what - I have some days where it is almost flat at times now. Still, it can swell up on me, but way less -more like menstural bloating. I often catch myself looking at my profile now and feel like I was away at some kind of extreme makeover camp, one where I wasn't actually on a diet. Yeah! Many of you Sises are where I was, over six weeks ago. My sisters gave me hope and encouragement and I want to pass along some encouragement to a new group of Sisters. Also, the incision is not so tight any more and that abrupt edge is softening, as well as getting the overall shrinkage. I'm starting to recognize this tummy again! Love and encouragement to you all, Sisters. Keep up your spirits. Best, Asta
Unread 08-27-2006, 08:09 AM

Thank you soooooooooo much for the encouragement!! I am at 6 weeks and it has been such a battle. I get up every morning and turn sideways to see if has gone down. It has gone down a lot but seems lately I can't tell a lot of improvement. I am so glad to know that it just takes time, and I am trying to learn patience. This is such a journey and so many family members and friends have no idea all of the physical and emotional things we deal with for months, they just expect after 6 weeks you should be back to your old self, but this website has helped me to keep my chin up , because when no one else understands I know you all do. Thanks so much!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.