infected incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

infected incision infected incision

Unread 07-07-2006, 02:48 PM
infected incision

I am a little over 3 wks PO and I just noticed this am that my incision had what looked like a little blister on it. There is some drainage - when I called the nurse she just said it might be a little infection on the incision site, but I'm a little concerned going into the weekend that it could get alot worse. Has anyone experienced this before on their incision?

By the way, I'm so glad that I found this website - it really has been alot of comfort and support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Just got back from my doctor...

I was 3 weeks on Wednesday, the day that I got really concerned about part of my incision. I had noticed some "seeping" from part of the incision, a bit of odor, and redness around that part of the cut. I saw my G.P. on Thursday, who first of all removed the rest of the steri-strips that were left, which just happened to be right over the part of the incision that I was concerned about. (sidenote; my surgeon had said keep the strips on until they fall off, my G.P. said I should have taken them off earlier - bacteria love that sort of climate) He cleaned the surface of the wound and covered it with a band-aid (just to keep anything off my clothes) and told me to let it get as much air as possible for the next 24 hours. I have a horizontal incision, not the best place to "air out", but I managed to lay in the bedroom and read for a few hours, and do just that. DH had strict instructions not to let anyone just come on in! (believe me no one needs to see me like that!) I saw the G.P. again today and he re-cleaned it and said to have a bath tonight (yes! I'm not a shower person and really haven't enjoyed that part of recovery), use mild soap and again let it air over the weekend. The big condition is that if I think it's at all getting worse to go to their walk-in clinic over the weekend. My G.P. doesn't believe in over-prescribing anti-biotics, and he feels that we have caught it early enough to treat the wound, and to not add yet another prescription to my system. So, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, but I have had a medicial opinion, and I'm following my doc's orders. I would not hesitate to deal with this exactly the same way again, because the worst thing I think any of us can do is make this recovery worse, and infection is one of our biggest enemies! I hope that you do seek medical advice, and that it is easily treatable. Good Luck!!!
Christine
Unread 07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
infected incision

EJW -

I too had what looked like a "little blister", or even a "pimple" on two sites of my incision, also around 3 weeks PO. They were not even as big as the head of an eraser on a pencil. I squeezed both of the areas and drainage came out of both that looked like pus (I am making faces as I write this). Ewwww. I soaked a Q-tip in peroxide until it was dripping and dabbed at the areas, allowing peroxide to enter the two opened sites. I did this a few times/day and after about 2 or 3 days the two little holes closed up and that was the end of it. I did not use any antibacterial ointments, such as Neosporin.

Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2006, 04:05 PM
infected incision

I'm 2 weeks post-op, had the staples out last week. the doc says you heal from the inside out and that the incision will close up in time. Now I've noticed it has mended except for a 2 inch span in the middle. I smell like a rotting piece of meat but just realized it's the incision! There is some seapage( blood and alittle oozing) Now I soak this up and try to keep it clean not wet! Keep an eye on it, if the seapage is green see a doc. I was also told to try and let it air out and that helped a lot.
Unread 07-08-2006, 01:42 AM
infected incision

I got a severe infection with my c-sect a few years ago. watch for a sickly sweet smell from your incision area and also a green or purple discharge. And also the fever giveaway. It will most likely go very high.
reba
Unread 07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
infected incision

Thanks to all for your replies - the site has been seeping all
day and night, and I will definately keep on eye on the color and if I start running a fever.
Unread 07-08-2006, 09:00 AM
infected incision

my staples were removed and my incision opened in 3 places and was infected they put me on 7 days of antibotics and it seems better now..still one spot that is a lil open...it's a pain and my belly is swollen..feel pregant althought i never have been..lol. if your Dr sees it and says its infected they might jsut give you some antibotics.
Unread 07-08-2006, 10:34 AM
infected incision

My incision opened, too, and it was an alarming huge discharge of "inflamatory fluid" that freaked me (like, I'd put a sanitary napkin on it and it would be sopping wet in an hour!) (Hmm, maybe that's why I didn't have a whole lot of swelly belly, all the "inflamatory fluid" got out.) Anyway, the opening was about an inch long, and the doctor opened it a little more and "packed" it. And, yes, he said it does heal from the inside out. The packing was a narrow strip of sterile absorbant cloth. The reason for packing, he said, was to keep the outside from closing over, trapping any fluids and germs inside the wound. I had to repack it daily, which did not hurt at all. In about a week, there was no space to pack anything and the "inflamatory fluid" drainage was gone.
If you have a blister, I would certainly check it out with the doctor.
My doctor told me to watch for redness around the wound.
Unread 07-08-2006, 11:24 AM
infected incision

I had a bad c-section infection 12 years ago and made this doctor promise not to infect me! LOL I'm afraid of that more than anything. If you suspcet an infection, please go see your doctor or at least call and leave a message for him to call you.
Unread 07-08-2006, 05:52 PM
infected incision

Well, I broke down and called the answering service since my seepage was starting to turn color - put me on some antibiotics. We'll see how I tolerate these since I am allergic to most. I just didn't want to take the chance of getting a bad infection. Thanks all for your wonderful input.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register