HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Energy levels after hysterectomy Energy levels after hysterectomy

Unread 07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
Energy levels after hysterectomy

Hi there

I am four weeks into having a hysterectomy. I was going out at day six after my operation. Only out for some lunch in a car etc. Today i have been out with my boyfriend to take the dogs to the field and felt i could do a slow walk with them. I was totally shattered and my legs were shaking, i really didn't think i was going to get out of that field! Scary!!

How long has it take you all to get your energy back?

I know i should take it slowly, but i only walked, like
10 minutes..........

Rosemary
Unread 07-14-2006, 02:38 PM

6 weeks and 3 days over here

I feel fine. I don't need a nap during the day anymore. We are about to move back to Canada at the beginning of August and let me tell you... we are busy as can be. Oh! I don't lift or do streneous housework. But from morning to evening I don't stop. After our evening meal I am exhausted. The house would be on fire well I would burn along with it!

That is what healing tissues will do : sap your energy. In the evening I can't do a thing and I have come to accept it. I take charge of the remote control instead
Unread 07-14-2006, 04:14 PM

Hi rosemary!

This is sooooo different for everyone. I'm at 6 weeks today (YAY! ) but I'm really at a Week Two level. Even doc agreed yesterday and said I shouldn't drive/have sex/increase 5# lifting restrictions, etc. until I'm at 12 weeks. I take very slow 1/2 mile walks with dh a few times a week. That is all I can do. I can ride in the car a short distance to a store while dh drives the cart and does the lifting. Then we're off to home and I'm DONE for the day! My doc said this is very slow healing, but be okay with it and listen to my body for the ultimate guidance.

I would give that advice to you. We all heal differently so don't compare yourself to others. Instead, REALLY listen to your body and pay attention to exactly what it is telling you. You'll heal up faster that way as you won't be overdoing it. Your body will tell you how much activity is okay.

I hope that doesn't sound too "out-there!" But it's working for me and my doc is REALLY glad I'm doing that. So is dh - he doesn't want me to over-do so badly that I'll get set back and he'll have to take care of me longer! Ha! MEN!

Hugs to ya - take it easy!
Julia
Unread 07-14-2006, 06:14 PM

Rosemary, I'm just 2 days ahead of you and am doing just like you. Short trips to town wear me out a little, and a little resting restore me. (though getting in and out of the car more than a few times seems to make me sore) Today we took my DD to MD Anderson hospital in Houston (benign tumor on her thyroid; she will have surgery Aug 2) and it is a HUGE complex. We had appointments in 4 different places, plus lunch-- lots of walking. I slept half the way home and am trying to get the energy up to get ready for bed now!
Unread 07-14-2006, 07:11 PM

sisters, I completelyknow what you mean.Last Sat. I went to my husband`s MBA commencement after working a few hours(already tired!)I tried crossing a busy downtown 4 lane street and my legs wouldn`t move like I wanted them to. Frustrating!
Unread 07-14-2006, 07:40 PM

I am a little over 3 weeks and have been exhausted! I finally took a real walk today - down the street and back, so about 4 blocks, and I am sooooooo tired!!!
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:42 PM

Rosemary, I had my hysterectomy the day before you and am still feeling very tired and tender. Can't seem to walk very far either or very fast either - just wears me out.
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:56 PM

I have good days and bad days too. My energy level still is pretty low, but some days I can push myself and other days the bod just screams for the couch! One day a time!
Unread 07-15-2006, 02:37 AM

I just feel the need to "get out" and go somewhere; shopping or whatever but I'm scared that while I'm out I'll get the shakes or get weak. I guess the only thing to do is try it and see what my body says, right? I can spend the next day(s) on the couch, as you said.
Unread 07-15-2006, 03:53 AM

Thanks for your replies it's wonderful to know that we have this board to know that we are normal. We would all be wondering why it was happening to us otherwise and making ourselves worse. IT'S A HUGE HELP!

Good wishes to you all for a speedy recovery.

Rosemary

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.