HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

douche before surgery? douche before surgery?

Unread 07-22-2006, 06:53 PM
douche before surgery?

Ok, I'm not sure if I misread the instructions from my doctor, but it says to do a douche and a fleet enema, has anyone had to douche? I've never done that before, and I'm assuming because I'm not only having a TAH but also a hammock for the euretha, he said he would have to go through the vagina for that, so is that why the douche? Also I have ready many people say they were given something to drink for bowel prep, has anyone had to do the fleet enema? what should I expect once that bullet is insert in rectum? Oy VAY! I prefer the procedure of not knowing what is going on with my body than all this prep work before surgery!
Unread 07-22-2006, 07:23 PM
douche before surgery?

Hi Vgtigger!
I have not heard of douching before surgery. Hopefully someone else here has heard of it. I had to do the fleet enema. It's not too bad. Once you squeeze as much of the liquid in as you can, you just lay on your side until the "urge" to go strikes. The directions tell you how long to hold it in. Basically as long as possible. Have fun!
Unread 07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
douche before surgery?

I didn't have to do a bowel prep or douche so I don't have a personal experience to share with you. I have read around here that some women are instructed to do a douche prior to surgery, so it's not really uncommon. Our pre-op instructions seem to vary from woman to woman, doctor to doctor, and surgical procedures.

I hope someone who was instructed to douche will stop by and fill you in more. I wish you the best!

s, Deb
Unread 07-22-2006, 09:04 PM
douche before surgery?

Hi vgtigger! I'm fairly new to this sight and so far have just been reading other posts to get answers to some of the questions I have had along the way. It has been great and I know you will find alot of comfort in reading what others have posted about their experience.

I was ordered to do both a betadine douche and a fleets enema prior to a TAH on 6/16. My understanding is they want to you to be as "clean" on the inside as possible prior to your surgery. Reduces the risk of infection (and keeps you from doing your business on the table during surgery ).

This was my first major surgery, and I was really worried about the enema, but when I finally did it, it wasn't too bad. Just lie on your side (on a towel) and wait until you feel like you can't possibly hold it another second (about five minutes or less)! Also, expect to hang out in the bathroom for several hours off and on afterwards. I ate fairly light meals the day of, so I was only up a couple of times during the night, but I was still having to go the next morning at the hospital while waiting to be whisked off to surgery. All in all, the anticipation of doing it was worse than the actual event. Also, if you are doing a betadine douche, just make sure you do it while in the shower. They are really messy!

Good luck! I hope all goes well on your big day!
Unread 07-22-2006, 09:05 PM
douche before surgery?

I had to do an Iodine Douche at the hospital - It felt cold and wierd. They supplied me with everything and a nurse stayed in the bathroom with me while I did it - It was like a IV bag full!! Hope this helps!
Unread 07-22-2006, 10:02 PM
douche before surgery?

I had to do a fleet enema and douche the night before surgery, and another douche the morning of surgery! They are messy, but doable! I also had to wash night before and day of with surgical soap. A lot of work, but I'm 4 days post-op and my incision (TAH) and everything else is doing well, so I guess it can't hurt to be too clean!
Unread 07-22-2006, 10:03 PM
douche before surgery?

I also had to do a Betadine douche at the castle before surgery x2 bottles. They supplied me with them. The Fleets enema is not bad either. I had to do it the morning before I went to the castle. Good luck!!
Unread 07-23-2006, 11:13 PM
douche before surgery?

yes, it all sounds soooo unpleasant. My intructions say a vinegar or benadine douche, so I got the vinegar one..(i think? I'll have to check) I figured I would do it sitting on the toilet but the shower sounds easier. The fleet enema looks like a bullet, so I was under the impression as soon as it goes in it all comes out, but I never had to do one, so it is helpful to read about the 5 minute wait. Thanks all....
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM
douche before surgery?

I had to do the douche in the castle, just before going to the operating room. There is nothing to it. I just sat on the toilet while doing it. You will be fine...
Unread 07-24-2006, 10:26 PM
douche before surgery?

Oh Boy! It's just keeps getting better and better. There's unpleasant stuff around every turn, isn't there? I can only hope it all evens out in the end. I haven't had a pre-op dr visit, so I'm not sure what their requirements are yet.

It's interesting to me how everyone's experience is so different.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway