I Have to Ask: Shaving | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Have to Ask: Shaving I Have to Ask: Shaving

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I Have to Ask: Shaving

TMI, I know, but thank goodness we have this site to ask these questions!!! I currently shave the full area down under (except for landing strip). Do I have to stop shaving prior to surgery or is okay to shave a few days before surgery?

TIA, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 10:47 AM

I knew that I would be shaved so I didn't do it before surgery. I believe most DRs do NOT want you to shave because although you may do it regularly, you may accidentally nick yourself and cause a possible infection.

Funny story (but not at the time it happened): My OR nurse was a male. Now, my DR is a male and I know these folks are professionals but it was a little disturbing when I realized later that he was the one who shaved me before the surgery!
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:15 AM

I was awake when a nurse shaved me "down there" right before surgery. She was very professional and I didn't feel a thing. But it feels kind of strange a week later to have almost no hair there but lots on my legs!
karenpurple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2006, 11:16 AM

here you are expected to shave the night before the op, but I chickened out due to poor coordinaton and used hairremoval cream. No chance of nicking myself but due be wary if you react to them.
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:22 AM

I shaved that morning. No one told me not to. But in pro-op the nurse came over and just pulled out and electric razor and away she went. She did the same thing to the woman next to me. I don't think it is important for you to do it, I actually think LauraArtist had a really going point about nicking yourself. If I had read that last week I would not have shaved. I would just let them do it. They are going to do it anyway.
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:10 PM

i shaved everthing the day of and now I have a toupay , I shave everything except the binkin inscion. so its funny the doc just laughs at me like I am crazy
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM

They told me not to shave before my surgery...OK right????? Well, I was supposed to have a laparascopic procedure....No one shaved me... Woke up with an abdominal....2 days later doctor pulls off my dressing....ALONG WITH ALL MY PUBIC HAIR OOUUUUUUCCCCCHHHH! Ask me if I would shave OOOOOOHHHHHHH YOU BET!
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:22 PM

I usually shave quite a bit down there, didn't for a few days before assuming they would (had TAH) and no they didn't! So steristrips and about 6 days growth - eeewwwww! I would have, if I had known! Just use a super safety razor to avoid nicks.
Z.
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM

I shave down there anyway.... completely clean.... did this because I was bleeding so much it was easier to ensure I was completely clean.... I don't plan on changing anything when prep for surgery.... I'd rather me than some guy like when I had my first.... not to mention he was probably the biggest jerk of a male nurse that was ever created.... taking no chances at this point.
Unread 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM

Gosh, I always wanted to try being completely shaved "down there", but I am too chicken, first, even when I shave my bikini line I get red bumpy irritation the next day, second, I don't think I could handle my undies sitcking to and rubbing on the hair as it began to grow back in after a few days... would love to keep it bare the whole time but with razor bumps, it would be impossible to shave every single day!! How do you do that!?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register