HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 08-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Dry Vagina

I've used Replens and it does work. You need to use it regularly. Good luck!
Unread 08-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Dry Vagina

Yes, I had ovarian cancer. so I am afraid of estogen.
My oncologest, said it would use it. A small amount.
Unread 08-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Dry Vagina

Hi Christmasang!
Just yesterday I found another lubricant like Replens, but it's by KY and it has vitamin E added to it. It's called KY Long Lasting Vaginal Moisturizer. It's about the same price as Replens, but you only get 6 applications (Replens has 8.) I'm gonna try it though, because it has the Vitamin E added. Replens does work if you use it regularly, and you also need to use lubricant when you are having sex, which I suspect goes the same for the KY Long Lasting. I also want to try everything else before I resort to the estrogen cream. Just wanted to share this other option with you.
Good Luck! Caroline
Unread 08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Dry Vagina

Hi Caroline529,

Thanks for the idea, I will check that out.
Did you say you used replens? I have been using too.
I like it but I haven't had sex yet.. That will be the test.
Thanks again
Unread 08-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Dry Vagina

Hi again Christmasang!
Yes, I've been using Replens for the last few months and it works, but you have to use it regularly, and still use a lubricant when you have sex if you need to. I like it, but I'm only trying the KY Long Lasting because of the Vitamin E to see if it's any better.
Caroline
Unread 09-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Dry Vagina

I have used replens. I do not like it.
I noticed afterwards there is quite a bit of vaginal lining shedding.
I would talk to your ob/gyn.
Unread 10-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Dry Vagina

*sigh*

I thought I had this problem licked. My dr prescribed Estrace cream but then ... I developed a sensitivity to something in the cream base! We then went to Estring. I liked it at first, but while it seems to help the interior vaginal tissues OK ... the outer vulvar tissues are still too tender and delicate. Any sexual activity, or anything else irritating such as chlorinated pool water, and it's pain and yeast infections once again. Here I've loved to swim all my life, and now I live in this great place with this wonderful pool and I have to grit my teeth through the stinging every time I get in it. I am supposed to be getting married soon, and I can't have sex!

I gotta go back to my Dr again and see if she has any more answers. One idea I have is to see if a compounding pharmacy can put estrogen in the cream base they use for Terconazole cream. This is the one cream for yeast infections I can use that doesn't just about knock me out with the burning.

I'm also having a harder time having an orgasm. (At least I can have one still ... before things get too sore and I have to once again swear off sex.) But this is also annoying me severely.

Anybody else have this, estring-helps-the-inside-but-the-outside-still-hurts problem??
Unread 10-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Dry Vagina

Hi Sisters,
Know of you are going to believe this, but here it goes. Yesterday I fanlly went to the GYN, NOT the one who did my surgery, never again, but a young, pregnant woman. It has been three years since my TAH/BSO and no HRT. Anyway, she tells me that losing my ovaries is the WORSE thing that could happen regarding your vagina. No ovaries = no moisture. She said not only am I as dry as a bone, but I actually have exsema (sp) inside me! Anyway, she said I could try one of two things, the first being vagisel suppositories, the second being CRISCO!!! I'm not kidding, crisco or 100 % oil oil!!!!!!!!! She said all the over the counter things have alcohol in them, and thst is very drying. Even the diaper cream I tried also has it!!!! Can you imagine, basting yourself like a turkey to solve this problem???????? Last night I did use some olive oil, and wore a mini-pad as it is messy, it did give some relief. When I go to the grocery store I will get some crisco, as it is thicker. What a totally off the wall thnig, but she said they are 100% natural so try it! If this doesn't work, then we will try the other, but since I have managed to stay away from estrogen I prefer not to try that first. If this doesn't work I will, as this itching can drive you nuts!!!!!
Unread 10-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Dry Vagina

(((Ladies))), from time to time members on this site will post that they have tried various food products as vaginal lubricants. Some do it at the suggestion of their doctors, others don't seek that approval. Regardless of where the idea originates, using a food product in a way not intended by the manufacturer may have negative consequences.

Products for consumption aren't manufactured using the same standards as those for vaginal products. Vaginal products break down easily whereas oils, Crisco, etc. do not. Left in the environment of the vagina they can encourage the growth of bacteria and yeasts. Even properly stored oils and shortening can become rancid. That doesn't exactly inspire me to want to try them. My doctor recommended Astroglide and of the ones I have tried, it's the best.

There are so many lubricants on the market which are readily available at stores such as Wal-Mart, Target and your local drugstore. You can easily check the ingredients on the package to find out if alcohol is an ingredient or not. The ones I have tried do not contain alcohol. There's a personal lubricant sold in the Hyster Sisters Store called Very Private Daily Intimate Moisture which I've read good reviews about from other members.

If a personal lubricant isn't helpful, talk to your doctor about trying one of the vaginal estrogens available. There are several options and it may take some experiementing to find just the right one. There's more information about them in the link I already provided, but I'll add it again here: Vaginal Dryness.

As always, check with your doctor first.

Unread 10-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Dry Vagina

Olive oil is the only thing that has helped me. I tried to stop it after a couple of months because of what you just said about it, and just use
the vaginal estrogen, and I really started having bad
problems again, this is the only thing that has ever helped me at all, as a matter-of-fact I have used everything on the market and it actually made me worse and everyone of them caused this clumped up stuff in my vagina, and I have spent a fortune on all of this. I have used the olive oil now for about 9 months and haven't had a single infection, but before that, I was having them all the time, this was the first thing that
gave me any relief in 5 yrs. Two different Drs gave the
ok on it. After all I have suffered from this vaginal
pain I would never want anyone to have what I have, and I know I am only one of many. The only thing I haven't tried is the vitamin E, and that is because I haven't been able to find it. I have even had the pharmacy to compound me something, to no avail.
I do, however, use an manufactured lubricant when having sex, I can tolerate it on a limited basis, the oil
is to oily for sex. I would never use crisco, though.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.