HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Boil on Labia Boil on Labia

Unread 07-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Boil on Labia

Hi All,

I have some questions and concerns and am hoping someone here may help.

About two weeks ago I developed what I think was a boil on my left labia. I don't think it was anything systemic like MRSA but tend to think it was simply hot out, and I developed an in-grown hair due to tight jeans. I was prescribed Z-Pak at the time but it didn't take the swelling down. So, two days ago I had it lanced and was given Doxycycline. Okay, so afterwards the doctor (my regular Primary doctor), told me that he didn't get much out even though it felt huge to me. Anyway, the boil or whatever it was has gone down and I still use hot compresses, soak in epsom salts and use an anti-bacterial soap. But, NOW my problem is that the whole left labia is very red, irritated and itching. The right side is just fine. My problem is this. I am supposed to use Vagifem twice a week but am hesitant to do so. The reason being is that I am taking antibiotics and am afraid that if I add in the estrogen, I am going to develop a yeast infection. Has anyone had any experience with this? What would you recommend? Also, I DO have an appointment with my ob/gyn today to determine what to do. I just thought I would ask those of you out there that may have experienced this. Thanks!
Unread 07-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Boil on Labia

Hi Kathi!

That sounds really painful! I've never had a boil there so I can't relate but I did want to pop in and give a and say it's good that you have an appointment to be seen.

I wouldn't worry about the vaginal estrogen causing a yeast infection. If your tissues are lacking in estrogen you are actually more at risk for yeast infections instead of the other way around. I've been using Vagifem for years and haven't had a yeast infection. Hopefully that will be the case for you, too!

Being on an antibiotic does increase your risk for a yeast infection because it can wipe out the "good" bacteria along with the bad. You could ask your doctor about taking an over-the-counter supplement called acidophilus to help keep the natural flora healthy and balanced.

Good luck at your appointment! I hope you get relief soon.

s
Unread 07-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Boil on Labia

Thanks April Dawn!

I went to my appointment today and I do have a yeast infection. I forgot to mention that I had to use Vagifem every day prior to some urodynamics testing. That, plus the lubricants I was supposed to use probably caused the boil. Once I got the boil I had to take anti-biotics. Then, when it was lanced, I was given a different antibiotic. So, yes, you are right, the Vagifem normally works well with just twice a week. Anyway, the urodynamics testing was pretty rough. So, it probably irritated the tissues even more. But I have to stay on the antibiotics for awhile, plus use Terazol (sp?). So, I will probably get a little worse before I get better. And, I am eating plenty of yogurt LOL! Thanks again.
Unread 09-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Boil on Labia

Hello Kathi47. Your post has prompted me to ask this. I apologize beforehand if anything is too graphic. I would never intentionally offend anyone. Here goes. I have been getting something like that on my outer labia (kinda on the edge of the skin where the hair is to where it isn't) from time to time and been wondering what it was. I usually put Desitin on them and they go away and it stops the burning and itching. This time was different in that it swelled all of a sudden to the size of a grape and I squeezed (sorry) watery, bloody fluid from it. It now has a red dot on the top and is greatly reduced in size. It was painful when it swelled up but now it just vaguely itches some. I have had very sensitive skin all my life with breakouts when using pads like a diaper rash and my bladder used to leak before I had TVT (which also kept my skin irritated) and now it's doing it again and I think it coincided with the bump. It started as about the size of a BB and I only found it when washing. It was there for a bit and then this happened. I've been with my husband only for the last 3 1/2 years and before that was married for 11 years and neither of them have anything. Thanks for your time, whoever reads this, and I appreciate any input from anyone. I would never post anything like this anywhere other than here. I have found hystersisters to be the best, most caring women I have ever seen.
Unread 09-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Boil on Labia

I have had these cyst-like boil things off and on for the last 20 years. I'd suppose I've had a dozen or so... always in the same general area. At first I though -- OMG, what have I contracted from a toilet seat! Or even worse, I'm in a monogamous situation (married 24 yrs now) -- what has HE given me. But my doc said to drain them as I could and if infection occurred, seek treatment for antibiotics. I did lance two of them over the years.

This is something some women are plagued with. It is somehow connected to the lymphatic system. Some women also develop them under their arms. In fact, my aunt had one that eventually was cut out from under her arm becuase the usual courses of treatment brought not resolution.

Hopefully for you this is a one time thing -- or at least very infrequent. Good luck!

p.s. Wear loose clothing when you have one of these suckers to avoid increasing the agony!
Unread 09-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Boil on Labia

Hi May21,

Your description is EXACTLY what I had or was going through. I had NEVER had this happen at all...no bumps or anything. I think mine either came about from heat/humidity and tight jeans OR I had the beginnings of a yeast infection. The docs aren't sure which occured first. My one doctor told me to NEVER squeeze it. Sorry, but usually they are staph and they just don't want you to spread it to other areas. Anyway, I had it lanced and was told to keep it clean with antibacterial soap and dry (oh, and he put me on antibiotics too) but also to continue to use the Vagifem and use Terazol. It took several days but eventually this all went away. I still have just a slight itch where the doctor lanced it but all in all much, much better.
Unread 09-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Boil on Labia

OMG I thought I was crazy. I have one of these that ummm well I am not sure what to call where it is. I would guess in my pubic area just above the labia. It comes and goes. I have had one twice before in the last 3 years since I have gotten heavier. It hurts so dang bad. I am about ready to pop it. I will give it one more day and then I will do something. I occasionally get one in my armpit as well but not as bad as this one.
Glad to know I am not alone.
Unread 09-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Boil on Labia

Update mine got rather large by monday and was very painful even hurt to drive. It burst at around 7pm monday I didn't even know it until I got up from the dinner table. Thank god I had black jeans on. It felt so much better. It is still oozing a bit. I couldn't get into my GYN today I am supposed to call in the morning to see about getting in. I just want it looked at to make sure there is no infection present this close to surgery.
Unread 09-14-2006, 02:58 AM
Boil on Labia

Hi all

I get these from time to time. The first one I freaked and went to the dr. He checked that it wasn't a Bartholin's gland (which swells to about the size of a grape). If it is diagnosed as Bartholin's gland, it sometimes needs a surgical procedure. I am attaching a link to a female website which has some good explanations on women's health (the vulva area).

When I have them I try not to touch them or "play" with them. If one does rupture by itself, they normally tend to itch when they are healing.

Hope this link helps. Towards the bottom of the page is information on Bartholin's glands cysts.

http://www.womhealth.org.au/factsheets/vulva.htm

Regards
Unread 09-14-2006, 03:55 AM
Boil on Labia

Gail,
Thanks for you help. I was just so concerned due to the size of this last erruption. I only get them in one spot and it is the pubic are at first I thought it was an ingrown hair but this one was so large it scared me. I am still going to have it looked at by my GYN if I can get in just to make sure.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.