HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Does tea constipate? Does tea constipate?

Unread 07-30-2006, 01:17 AM
Does tea constipate?

Ok, here's one for you sisters...I've been drinking some hot tea occasionally and peach tea during the day some. My DH now tells me that he thinks tea can cause constipation! Has anyone ever heard of this? It's been 2 days since my last bm so I don't want this to be the case! AH!
Unread 07-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Does tea constipate?

Hi Lisa

It has quite the opposite effect on me - if I can't "go", I have a cup of tea to set things off.

Are you taking pain killers with codiene in them? They can constipate you. As can chocolate; sitting still for too long; not eating enough fibre or dehydration ....you body is still recovering, so get lots of fibre, drink plenty of water also.

Hope all gets back to normal for you soon.

Robyn
Unread 07-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Does tea constipate?

Green tea; that is supposed to keep you regular, or that's what I've been told. Also don't put sugar in; that makes it worse. The constipation, I think.
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Does tea constipate?

Just to add my :

A good friend who's a nurse warned me not to drink tea (black tea) because she said it would bind me up.

I'm a green tea and white tea drinker. Only 1 or 2 cups a day. I also use a sweetener that's supposed to stimulate BMs. But I've had constipation problems since I was a kid so I've got a bag of tricks left to try. I just read another thread with some tips. And I've seen it mentioned here before that some have found relief with Smooth Move tea. It contains senna. I have found tea or pills containing senna work for me, when other products have not. But, again I have battled IBS for many years.

My surgery was Tuesday. I took Colace Friday night. Sunday morning, I'm still waiting...

Best Wishes!
Unread 07-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Does tea constipate?

Tea and coffee usually make me 'go'. I've always heard tea serves as a mild laxative amongst other things. Of course it can still have the opposite effect on a few ppl.
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Does tea constipate?

the problem with black tea is the caffeine which acts as a diuretic and thus you pee more...and get more dehydrated and constipated. there is also some thought that the tannins in tea contributes to your constipation. as you can see from other posts, this isn't true for everyone.

i drink decaf mint green tea. it tastes good and seems to have helped me with digestion over the years.

also drinking lots of water and increasing fiber helped me post-op. no soda and then sometimes, i just needed some extra help from MOM...milk of magnesia.

this too shall pass. *grin* happy healing.
Unread 07-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Does tea constipate?

I lived for peppermint tea and a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats cereal in skim milk-to make my insides feel good. (One time, I bought one of those little cans of prune juice, but it didn't make that much difference-probably because I just hate the taste and didn't drink it all.) I took stool softener capsules that were prescribed, on occasion. The mini wheats were a lifesaver for me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.