HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Estro-ring ?? Estro-ring ??

Unread 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Estro-ring ??

HI,
I saw my gyno today. I've been on 2 pumps of estrogel for 30 days. I was taking Wellbutrin. I weighed in today at 157 pounds. I have never weighed anything close to this!! I've gone from a B cup to D.
Gyno introduced the estroring due to painful intercourse and dryness. She said we could look at adding testerone , but she finds quite often having the ring will increase the libibo. or however the heck you spell it !
She assured me today that the estrogel does not cause weight gain , and the pharmacist told me the same thing. I believe it's the Wellbutrin and I am stopping it.
Because I have no ovaries and the gyno says that I went into immediate menopause following my surgery, that my levels are low. We're trying to get this stabilized and then look at other options.
She said that if I wanted to try the progesterone at this point I could, but feels that I might want to start with the estrogens and find out how that goes.

Anyone else having the same kind of problems and on vaginal estrogen and the pump? And do you believe that weight gain is due to estrogel or that my hormones weren't balanced and that may be the cause ?
Unread 08-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Estro-ring ??

Wellbutrin is famous for maintaining weight or helping lose it. So much so that the insert warns that anorexics should not take it. It was considered as marketing as a weight loss aid because it helps with dopamine levels, which are linked to a variety of compulsive behaviors. Estrogen out of balance can cause water retention and also sugar cravings. And of course post-op there's less exercise. So, I'd stay on the Wellbutrin, at least until you talk with the doctor. It could be an unusual reaction to it, but it's less likely than the hormones not being quite right.
Unread 08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Estro-ring ??

Thanks!
You know I asked the pharmacist and they say YES, wellbutrin can defintely cause weight gain in some people. This is day 3 without it, and I'm dragging myself around.
Had an extremely awful night last night with loose bowel movements and today I inserted the estro-ring and got back cramps and running to the bathroom I don't know if the ring caused the cramping or if I'm fighting Wellbutrin withdrawal or a combination of everything.
And so... Merrily I roll along ....
Unread 08-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Estro-ring ??

I am on estring it really works I needed something stronger I have atrophy issues but it sometimes causes me cramping it has to be gas. I have been taking antacids and that helps. Estring is harder to wear it is very stiff. I had not problems with Femring it is more rubbery but not strong enough for vaginal area for me.
Unread 08-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Estro-ring ??

Does the estro-ring cause weight gain?
does anyone know or had experience with it
Thanks
Unread 08-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Estro-ring ??

Hi!

Are you talking about Estring or Femring? There's a big difference between the two. Estring is for the treatment of vaginal dryness/atrophy and won't help with systemic symptoms such as hot flashes. Femring is a systemic estrogen and is prescribed for the typical menopause symptoms. Many of us use vaginal estrogen in addition to the systemic estrogen. I'm using Vagifem with my Vivelle Dot. I've never had any systemic effect from using this combination but some women do say they notice a difference.

I don't think hormone therapies cause weight gain per se. I think it's all about balance--finding the right dose and combination of hormones. The fact is, some women gain weight on hormones and some gain weight off hormones. I really don't think the hormones are the culprit but rather the imbalances and the changes in our bodies now that we are dealing with surgical menopause.

You might find these two articles interesting:

Weight and HRT

Weight and Menopause

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 08-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Estro-ring ??

I have not had any problems with it causing weight gain it only effects the vaginal area not your whole body. I struggle with weight issues to it just seems to get harder to lose weight after the surgery. Maybe progesterone would help it acks like a diuretic. Maybe you should up your estrogen a little more slowly if it is causing bloating symtoms.
Unread 08-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Estro-ring ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallie
Thanks!
You know I asked the pharmacist and they say YES, wellbutrin can defintely cause weight gain in some people. This is day 3 without it, and I'm dragging myself around.
Had an extremely awful night last night with loose bowel movements and today I inserted the estro-ring and got back cramps and running to the bathroom I don't know if the ring caused the cramping or if I'm fighting Wellbutrin withdrawal or a combination of everything.
And so... Merrily I roll along ....
Shallie,

You shouldn't stop you AD abruptly. It can cause MAJOR withdrawels. I was using the Femring and got stomache cramps from it. So it could be a combo of both. PLEASE wean off the Wellbutrin VERY slow. Your brain will appreciate it

Liz

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.