HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

compounded testosterone cream doseage question compounded testosterone cream doseage question

Unread 08-10-2006, 06:31 AM
compounded testosterone cream doseage question

My testosterone cream is 2 mg/ml and I'm supposed to use 1 ml daily, so I assume that to mean it is 2 mg daily, however I have no idea how much ever gets absorbed and how much is converted to other hormones. My prescription doesn't have a % listed on it so I have no idea what percent it is. I was told it is a very low dose, which is fine because I certainly don't want too much. I've been using it daily for three weeks now and still haven't seen a lot of results in the sexual department but I am feeling somewhat better, maybe placebo effect--who knows! I haven't had a single breakout and no oily skin or hair. What concerns me is how the compounding pharmacies mix it and the differences. My last bottle of test cream had a totally different texture. To be a little graphic here it looked just like semen. Well, when I was using that one I felt more like I was using something. My face did occasionally break out if I used it too often and I got better results sex drive wise. This bottle doesn't seem to be working as well and it has more of lotion type consistency, not the same at all, not oily. I called the pharmacy and told them that it was different and they really couldn't tell me why other than maybe they used more of the water base. That is why I think the compounded hormone creams aren't really the best way to go. There are too many inconsistencies. JMHO.
Unread 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM

(((Carol))) it's true that different bases have different absorption qualities, and what works best for one of us might not be the right one for another of us. In general, alcohol-based gels absorb fastest - sometimes too fast, causing a spike in levels - plus, they are not suitable for use around the genitals because they burn . Water-based gels absorb a little more slowly and tend to leave a residue on the skin. Light creams absorb slightly slower but don't leave a residue and seem to be favored by more women. I know I like my Vanicream base for the way it disappears on my skin and seems to absorb well. And heavier bases like Vaseline absorb very slowly and tend to be messier.

You can ask the pharmacy to mix up your cream in whatever base you prefer. Your DR can even specify the base in your prescription (mine does). If the pharmacy says they can't/won't use another base, I'd use a different pharmacy.

BTW your cream/lotion is about 0.2% (2mg/ml is roughly equivalent to 2mg per gram of cream, or 2mg/1000mg cream).

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM

I'm not sure what my % is. It says 2.5 mg/0.1cc. My cream is filled in a syringe without the needle. I was to dispense 1 line (0.1cc) twice daily. I only use it in the am because I thought that was alot. I have no idea how much that is. Surferbabe is that 2.5% strength?
This last time she gave me a jar. It has a scoop that is supposed to be 1/4 tsp. It looks huge. Much more than what I dispence from the syringe. I plan on only dapping a small pea size and go from there.
I do like the syringe for my progesterone and Bi-est because it's easy, but the jar is good for the testoterone since I may have the jar for quite some time and she said the syringes dry up if you get them made months in advance.
Unread 08-10-2006, 08:36 PM

Yes, 2.5mg per 0.1cc would be about 2.5mg per 100mg, or 2.5%.

My testosterone cream comes in a jar with a narrow neck and a push up bottom, to minimize exposure to the air. These days I just barely get some on my finger and apply it.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-11-2006, 10:02 PM
omgosh...

So if mine says 1mg/.2ml VNPN. Is mine waaay weaker? Directions say apply 0.2ml daily..So is 1ml .05mg? Ayayay.. it really shouldn't be this confusing!! Can you imagine how long men would put up with trying to figure all of this out??
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:20 PM

.2ml is .2cc, so 1mg per .2ml is the same as 5mg per cc, or approximately 5mg per gram of cream. That is an 0.5% cream, or half the strength that I use. 0.5% to 2% is considered the range of women's dosages, so yours is on the lower end but not so low.

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-12-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi

Thanks.. I haven't used my testosterone cr. for a long time, but was thinking of starting it up again (only trying half of what's prescribed).. I was thinking 1ml per day for awhile to see if I feel more energy and more alert. I'm one of those that doesn't notice a big difference whether I'm using my hormones or not...Haven't had a hot flash yet, I'd say the thing I do notice the most is heart palps and bladder pressure go away with bi-est. Still havent figured out the insomnia after almost 3 yrs..

Thanks again...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.