HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system

Unread 08-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Question about how long anesthesia stays in your system

Could anyone tell me how long the anethesia stays in your system after surgery? Can it be a cause of high blood pressure?

Unread 08-10-2006, 11:12 AM

I have been told that it may take as long as a couple of weeks for all the anesthesia to leave your body, usually it would lower blood pressure, but everyone is different and your blood pressure could be affected from it or just because of the healing going on in of itself....speak with your doctor about it if it continues to worry you...
Unread 08-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks!

Thank you, Patelska, for the information. I didn't think it could take that long. Has anyone else felt an increase in their blood pressure after surgery? I had higher blood pressure sometimes when I was taking Lupron, but lately it seems to be more consistant. It has now been about 8 weeks since my hysterectomy. I also have acid reflux, (which I had before surgery), and it feels like it is starting to come back off and on. I've been taking Prilosec for about a couple of weeks for it and it seems to be working. (At least I haven't felt any more heartburn for a while).

Unread 08-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Both my gyn and my gp drs told me that the anesthesia can linger up to 6 months!! Hence the fatigue and other symptoms. Believe it or not.
Unread 08-10-2006, 05:45 PM

Yes, I think the anesthesia lingers for awhile, in different parts of your body. For instance, my hair is falling out a lot more than normal. My hair stylist told me this is normal after surgery...thank goodness I have hair to spare!
Unread 08-10-2006, 06:30 PM

I was told 30 days or more. I have been using that as an excuse every time I forget something or mess up at work. So far it has worked
Unread 08-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otessa
Yes, I think the anesthesia lingers for awhile, in different parts of your body. For instance, my hair is falling out a lot more than normal. My hair stylist told me this is normal after surgery...thank goodness I have hair to spare!
See, I didn't know that. I don't have hair to spare. My hair has been falling out and I am practically bald, and it's brittle. I have to wear a wig now. I wonder if it could be hormones. I did keep one ovary. I never associated my hair problem with the hysterectomy, but I didn't have a problem pre-surgery so maybe??
Unread 08-10-2006, 09:26 PM

My hair dresser told me 3 months for the hair to be back to it's normal state. I am almost at that point and had my hair dyed last week and it was the first time the color really looked like it used to. I have always taken Grape Seed supplments to help myself poop. But they also stop your hair from falling out. Mine only fell out for a few weeks after the TAS BSO.

Janet
Unread 08-10-2006, 09:33 PM

My hairdresser said 3 months as well as far as the anesthesia, she touched up my roots but is having me come back in September for highlights, she said it was too soon for them. My doctor told me as far as your system it could be 6 months.
Unread 08-11-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemcd
I was told 30 days or more. I have been using that as an excuse every time I forget something or mess up at work. So far it has worked
Treemcd - as long as it works go for it. I've used and have gotten away with the TAH excuse as long as I could. Now they know it's just me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.