HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Unread 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
urethrolysis

Has anyone had surgery called urethrolysis?
I am wondering what to expect. I was told it would be an outpatient procedure , a couple of small cuts, and much easier that the other surgeries I have had prior to this. This is the first doctor I have seen , and I have been to quite a few , who said my condition is fixable. My concerns are : not getting rid of the constant uti's even though I have the operation, and urethra scaring needing painful diliations. Would my recovery take more than a few days and will I be able to urinate immediatly after the surgery? Would I be prone to leakage? What kind of bowel prep is needed ? The BNS I had that created this problem was the surgery from Hell for sure. I am nervous but LOVE my new doctor! I would love to hear from anyone who has had this with any information you can provide.
Thanks in advance
blessings to all
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:33 AM
urethrolysis

What are your symptoms that you need this, Abbey Rose? I haven't heard of the procedure. Sorry can't help, but I wish you all the best with it. I too am having urethra issues, so I know it is not at all pleasant.
Unread 08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
urethrolysis

Hi scriv,
It is a kinked urethra from a bladder neck suspension yrs ago ...Now I have constant uti's (2 or more a month) for a couple of yrs now and every couple of months for about 6 yrs prior . I can not ,no way empty my bladder I go a couple oz. and that is with WORK and retain the rest. The surgeon will be cutting some adheasions and also maybe snipping some wires . I so much hope this is a sucess. I am sorry you are having problems are yours fixable? None of the urologists I have seen could help me but I went to a uro-gyn and he said YES, I can help. Nervous however as this will be surgery number 6 for me.( Some women self cath with this but I have to much kink/bend to do so.)
Unread 08-17-2006, 07:20 PM
urethrolysis

Hi Abby Rose,
I just had urethrolysis 2 weeks ago due to scarring and some stitches being pulled too tight when I had my LAVH and cystocele and rectocele repair in January of this year. What symptoms are you having? I was having retention, frequency, urgency, incontinence - really miserable. My urologist had me try Flomax, but that just made me tired and crabby. Anyway, to answer your questions, the surgery itself was a piece of cake compared to the one in January. Just an outpatient surgery, no bowel prep, very little pain and I could go right away after. The incision is vaginal and just a little bleeding for the first week after. However a day later I was retaining big time: 800 cc. So I had to go back on the Flomax, and self cath for a week. Now things are working ok, but I still have some urgency and frequency. My doc says it will take some time but things should settle down. If not, we go from there. I am trying hard to let go of the anger at my first doc for causing this. He is a good surgeon and I know now these surgeries are hit or miss sometimes. But it doesn't make me any happier to have to go through 2 surgeries in less than a year.
Best of luck with your surgery. I hope this answers some of your questions and that all goes well for you and that you are on the road to recovery soon.
elle
Unread 08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
urethrolysis

thank you so much for the reply elle.
My issue is constant uti's from obstruction from a old bladder suspension the doctor lied to me about and said he invented it and on and on ..It was 20 yrs ago and my life has been really stressed for all this time. I have the same symptoms you had . I have major anger issues with my doctor also. I tried to get him to help me earlier as I never could empty and it was over two months before I could go at all after surgery.I go about 3 or 4 ounces retain the rest. I am on constant antibotics which are no longer working very well. I am so hoping this surgery works . He may have to do a bit more also but he is not sure yet. Only problem I am traveling quite a distance to have this done as no one here will touch me saying it can't be done. If I can't void after , I sure am a long way from my surgeon. He said he hopes I can void before I go home. He put me on flomax also. It seems to help a bit but seems to make me sleepy. I can not self cath due to the obstruction ,it is so bad.I so appreciate your reply. I am dealing with major depression in part to the loss of my son and these constant infections and it helped so much to finally find someone who had this done. I have had 6 surgeries so you would think I'd be used to it but I am not it seems to be more terrifing each time especially since the last three caused more problems.
May your healing be rapid and complete!
hugs and blessings,
Abby
Unread 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
urethrolysis

Hi Abby Rose,
Your post gave me chills - it seems we have alot in common. You see, I too lost a son, 4 years ago to be exact. He was 8 years old and as you know the grieving never ends, it just gets a bit easier over time. How long ago did you lose your son? How old was he? My heart goes out to you.
I am also some distance from my Dr.; about 2 hours away, so when I started having problems after surgery, I was in a bit of a panic. But we managed to get the testing arranged here and all was handled by phone and fax. I really can't say I am much improved from before surgery, but my Dr. says it will take time - very frustrating. Sometimes I feel as though I am at the end of my rope. But I know there are worse things that can happen!!!
Please let us know how your surgery goes. I will keep you in my prayers.
elle
Unread 08-20-2006, 08:13 PM
urethrolysis

Oh Elle, I am so so sorry over the loss of your beloved son. You are right it always hurts. My son died 2 years and 6 months ago. I do not understand it . He was young and healthy so we thought, he had a heart attack a fatal one by the time the paramedics arrived he was gone. Apparently he asked someone to call 911 but it was a stranger so he died alone I guess. When I was told I had a heart attack also and feel so bad that he is gone and I am alive.
My heart hurts for you also, we see something that brings our loved ones to our mind so many times a day. I have seen a couple of people who looked SO like my son I held my breath and almost blacked out with out realizing it .
I hope you have support and love to help you through this. I think I drove some of my friends away with my depression.
I wish you healing and peace in your heart .
You will be in my prayers.
Hugs and blessings Abby
Unread 08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Unhappy - urethrolysis urethrolysis

Hi Abby Rose,
Thanks for your kind words and prayers. My heart aches for you too. It sounds like you've had a lot to deal with - it's not hard to understand why you struggled with depression. I do hope this surgery helps you, and that it resolves your difficulties.
I am more than a bit discouraged at this point; so far I can't say there's any improvement since I had the urethrolysis. I'm still dealing with frequency and urge incontinence. I've had lots of support since my son died from friends and family, but dealing with incontinence is different. It's really hard to talk about, and people don't understand how much of an impact it has on your life. I realize I'm only 3 weeks post but I had truly hoped to see some improvement by now. Anyone else out there have any experience with this? How long does it take before you know it has worked? My doctor was very vague about this so I am really clueless. Am wondering if I should call or just give it some more time. I hate to be a pest. I don't have a post op appt scheduled, he said to just call and let them know how I was doing, which I thought was strange, but who knows.
Any thoughts anyone?
elle
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:15 AM
urethrolysis

Hi elle,
I think you should call your doctor. I haven't had this yet but I did ask what the follow up would be since it is so far away. He said I will want to see you in a week-ten days then at about 4 weeks and if all is well , that will be it. I so hope it works for you! It seems no one understands this unless it affects them also then no one talks about it anyway. Wishing you the best , elle. I understand your frustration and worry.
hugs and blessings Abby
Unread 08-23-2006, 06:08 AM
urethrolysis

Hope I am not too late, but I found this article and thought you might find it informative. http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...8/ai_109025368

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.