HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How fast can fibroids grow? How fast can fibroids grow?

Unread 08-12-2006, 11:47 AM
How fast can fibroids grow?

Hello all,
Just want to say hello to all my sisters out there, I have been reading a lot of posts lately and really love this sight and feel a real gratitude and love for all of you.
I went to my gynecologist on my 49th birthday and was told I have numerous large fibroids, and would most likely need a hysterectomy. My sonogram confirmed the large fibroids. (the size of grapefruits)That was 2 months ago, since then my stomach has gotten larger and I am in pain most of the time. It feels like I have a huge mass in my abdomen( more like cantelope size) and my stomach is upset all the time. I had a biopsy and everything was negative. I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on Aug 21st (yeah only 9 days to go) my gynecologist doesn't know if he'll be able to do a vaginal assist or not due to the size of my uterus. Does anyone know how fast fibroids can grow in 2 months?
Unread 08-12-2006, 12:01 PM

It all depends on your hormones, particularly estrogen. I had a fibroid that grew very little in the first six or seven years. My doctor was doing annual ultrasounds and kept telling me it was nothing to be concerned about. When it reached 4 cm., it had a growth spurt and more than doubled in size in less than a year's time.
Unread 08-12-2006, 12:13 PM

I had several very small fibroids (size of a quarter) for years. Then, all of a sudden in 5 weeks time they tripled in size and continued to grow.

My understanding is that hormones make the difference.

Kay
Unread 08-12-2006, 12:58 PM

I wish someone had told me sooner, but I've been reading that fibroid growth can take off like crazy in peri-menopause. That hormones gone wild effect. I was trying to wait mine out and get past menopause, hoping for some shrinkage and relief. But mine got super big over about a 5-year period. The surgeon told a nurse I had a "monster" uterus.
Unread 08-12-2006, 06:19 PM

Last Oct mine was too small to detect in an exam (or was missed, maybe). In Feb, I felt one morning what felt about the size of a golf ball. Got up and went to the bathroom. Came back and ;couldn't find it'. I decided I was wrong or still part asleep or whatever and forgot about it. In early May, one morning I touched the same area and was amazed I could cover a rounded area with my hand cupped (more like freaked). I couldn't get in to see my Dr for 2 weeks. She 'felt around' and said it was approx the size of a hardball and external to the uterus.

I went in 6 weeks later for an US and she measured it at 71mm (almost 3 inches). Moreover, she found another one 17mm, that she hadn't felt 6 weeks earlier. The 2nd she might have missed but the 1st was now more the size of a softball than hardball.

2 weeks ago(almost) I went in for my pre-op and a Lupron injection. She commented that she believed she could feel further growth for the larger one but not significant (she asked if I wanted another US but I didn't really see the point).

The thing that I noticed in the past 6 weeks is this. Where the larger one is from late Mar(rarely) to Mid June (more and more) I would get these like spasm pains. I still do every now and then, along with often a general dull ache. From Mid July through current, I get these same odd pains where the other Fibroid is. I swear its like growing pains or something. I know I'm not a Dr but I think sometimes we just 'know' what our bodies are doing and when.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery. I am just waiting for this to be over with so I can go back to being me.

Julie
Unread 08-13-2006, 12:41 PM

I just had my yearly ultrasound to check on my fibroids.. I have had them for years, but they have slowly been growing... Last year the largest was 5 cm.. This year- 10 cm.. I am 52, so must be peri-menopausal.. I have resisted the hysterectomy route (even though I do feel a great deal of pressure,) but am now at the end of my rope! Thanks, Vicki
Unread 08-13-2006, 01:42 PM

Mine grew 2 cm between an ultrasound at the end of May and my hyst in mid July. By the way I felt, I'd say most of the growing happened in the last three weeks before surgery. As an example as far as LAVH and abdominal, my plan changed two days before surgery because of a hip positioning problem, but the surgeon told me after that she was glad we had changed because at 9 cm, she was pretty sure she wouldn't have gotten it out vaginally. In the end I think I'm just as glad she went TAH, because I know she saw everything and could give other areas a clean bill of health. Just my opinion, anyway.
Z.
Unread 08-14-2006, 01:08 AM

Isn't it just wild how they can grow? I am very nervous, I will not be able to have my LSH. A SAH is not the end of the wordl, but I guess this is my moment to be vain!

Julie
Unread 08-14-2006, 09:16 AM

"The surgeon told a nurse I had a "monster" uterus"

Could we get a smilie of a giant uterus with fangs?LOL

Here's my story: I had an RSO, D & C, and ablation in June 05. For 11 months I was the poster child for endometrial ablation...3 day very light periods. I had gone from super plus every hour to a panty liner. Then at the end of April 06 I woke up one morning with unusually strong cramps. I used a heating pad and popped Advil like a lab rat. The cramps were so bad by evening (and of course it was the weekend) that I told my husband I thought we should prepare ourselves for an impending ER visit. I wanted to just get through the night. I guess I woke up at about 2 am and the cramping was feeling a lot like labor. I just wanted to get through the night so I didn't have to wake my kids. I did breathing exercises for three hours. At 5:00 am I got in the shower-can't go to the ER dirty with hairy legs. I collaspsed in the shower in pain. I had to yell for help and my poor, sweet 10 year old son was the one to find me. When we left for the hospital, I wasn't sure that I was going to see my children again. I was screaming and moaning when we got to the ER, so they whisked me right through (will have to remember this-usually you can have a limb dangling off and a bullit wound in your face and they tell you to sign in and sit down). They put me on IV demoral immediately and I got no relief. I can't take morphine so they upped me to dilaudid. That helped and I calmed down. I kept telling them that it was a GYN issue-I know my body and this feels like labor. They would not listen to me and were convinced that it was my colin. They did three ct scans (because nothing was showing up with my colin-go figure) and never did a pelvic. My pain subsided and they sent me home with no diagnosis. I had the same pain the following month and saw my new gyn. She said my uterus was the size of a three month pregnancy. She did an ultrasound and detected fibroids-yada yada yada-scheduled hyster. I never did bleed this month, now I'm really bloated. I have lost weight, but my pooch is larger. My breasts are swollen and tender and my theory is that I am in Estrogen hell. I really think these fibroids are getting larger. I have constant crampy pain.

Sorry so long! I hadn't intended to go into so much detail.
Unread 08-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Fibroids Very Painful

new development ladies, my schelule date was 10/14/2006, now that the wheels are in motion, my insurance says my ob/gyn is not a preferred provider, and if i want them to pay, i need to find someone else...i have ALOT of pain after sex, and my husband and i are not very close, so sex is our close time- i know, i know any advice?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.