HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Very Painful Bowel Movements Very Painful Bowel Movements

Unread 08-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Very Painful Bowel Movements

Hi,
I 2 weeks post op and I have felt suprisingly good until the past week. I had a total hysterectomy and I still have my ovaries. My pain has been very managable, except when it come to bowel movements. The pain is so bad. I have been taking corectol and using fleet emenas. My dr. told me to start taking colace yesterday. Has anybody else had this problem? How long can I expect this to last. Thansk for any info and advice you can give me. Mo
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:23 AM

I sure did have this problem! I took peri-colace (pretty much what your doc wants you to take). That wasn't nearly enough so I added 15-20 prunes throughout the day, occasionally milk of magnesia, and started taking 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil a day (yuck! but it helped) and was already talking omega-3 fish oil capsules. That FINALLY helped! Sometimes it still wasn't enough so I added prune juice some days.

I know it seems crazy to have to take all that stuff, but I really needed all of it for about 3-4 weeks. Now I take peri-colace, sometimes milk of magnesia, a serving of prunes per day and....that's finally all I need right now! I still take omega-3 capsules, but that's for other reasons.

I hope you feel better soon. There's nothing more miserable than really painful bm's. I had the same surgery as you and also kept my ovaries. IMHO a little part of the pain is your bowel "settling in" to its new home after the surgery. They do so much redecorating in there that it takes a little while for things to really heal up. I was looking in my anatomy book and I"m realizing how much rests on the uterus and its ligaments.

Feel better soon!
Julia
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:25 AM

I too had the same problem starting at about 2 weeks post op. I took Correctal for 3 days and it seemed to work for me. I would try to stay away from the Fleet though because you can get dehydrated very easily using that. I also found that when i felt that I really had to go, but didn't want to push at all, I would use a suppository and it helped. I used "baby" suppositories instead of "adult". I also found that the more I walked the easier it was to have a bowel movement. Good luck.
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:51 AM

Hi,

I had TAH on July 25th. I've always been challenged in that regard so I was ready with my old standby remedies. It took 5 days for the first time. I used colace, which took about 2 1/2 days to work. Then I had a friend buy prune juice. And now my morning walk is also helping to keep things going. It's not so much painful now as "painfully" slow.

My other remedies are 2 teas... Smooth Move... and Nature's Tea. Both contain senna. When all else fails they always work for me.

Good luck!
Unread 08-12-2006, 11:57 AM

I used oatmeal for breakfast and two glasses of apple juice along with the prescribe stool softener...this got things going and keeps me regular.
Unread 08-12-2006, 01:57 PM

Lots of fruit and fiber have helped me, I am 9 days post op and nowhere near having normal function. Grapes, cherries, juice, tea.....oatmeal and high grain cereal. Some meds can cause constipation too. I used a stool softener on day 5 because something needed to "give" and it helped wonderfully, still they are painful. My surgeon said the uterus was pretty well bound around the rectum so I am thinking this is normal.
Unread 08-12-2006, 02:06 PM

My doctor is pushing me to eat lots of watermelon (fiber, water and sugar!). It is my last choice for melons but it helps. Also, dried dates and my sister's bran muffins. I am so fiber conscious now it's getting boring. When you kick up your fiber, make sure you drink plenty of liquid.
Unread 08-12-2006, 02:59 PM

moburger it took about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks for me to have a bm that was tolerable in terms of pain. It wasn't due to constipation; it felt as if someone were stabbing me from the inside with knives. According to some friends who are nurses, it takes the bowels time to "wake up" after surgery. The more you walk and drink, the better off you will be. They also told me to take at least 200 mg of Colace daily. Since about 3 weeks, I've been fine except that now I have a little trouble getting started now and then. Like srh120, I use a baby suppository for that.
Unread 08-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice. It just makes me feel better to know I am not alone. I also couldn't understand why all of a sudden my emotions were going crazy...crying for no reason, etc. Since I still had my ovaries, I wasn;t expecting that. My doc explained that they shut down for a while after the surgery, especially since my fibroid was so large (9 inches in diameter) I saw the pics of it yesterday and was blown away by the size. Thanks again so much, your posts have made me feel so much better
Mo
Unread 08-12-2006, 05:30 PM

Moburger:

I know it sounds odd, but having this site to come to and seeing that others are going through the same thing, often worse, than what I'm dealing with is a great relief. Also knowing that what I'm dealing with is "normal" helps a great deal. If it wasn't for this forum, I think I would've called my dr. about a thousand times so far. She doesn't know how lucky she is that I found this place.

I'm also glad to hear that you're heading the advice of those that posted. 11 years ago I had a similar surgery but wasn't able to rest, and it cause me not heal correctly. So there would be times when I would bend or stretch a certain way and it would send shooting pains through my abdomin. This time around, I'm milking it for every second of rest I can. I know that the time will pass and I will be back to normal before I can blink. Happy healing....

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.