HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Trachelectomy Trachelectomy

Unread 08-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi everyone. I've only posted once, but I read these all of the time. I had a supracervical hysterectomy just over one year ago and have battled mini-periods ever since. They are not just mini periods, but are more and are also very painful. I am scheduled for a trachelectomy in a couple of weeks to resolve this problem and I am wondering if anyone knows much about this surgery. I have questions like how long does this surgery take, how long in the hospital, how bad/easy is the recovery, etc. I know what my dr. says, but I was just wondering if any of you have had this experience. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to more surgery, but I am very ready to feel well again. If any of you have been through this, I would really appreciate your stories and/or advice. Thanks!
Unread 08-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Trachelectomy

I think a member named "smargie" had this surgery. If you do a search with "margie" and "partial name match" you should find her posts, particularly if you also add in the term "trachelectomy." She, too, had the issue with mini-periods and had her surgery afterwards.

I also had a supracervical and looked at doing that down the road since I had some problematic Pap results. However, they've cleared up and I've dodged that particular "bullet" -- for now. I've considered doing it when I finally break down and have my adhesions looked at, but I'm putting that day off just as long as humanly possible...

Good luck with it!

Audrey
Unread 08-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Trachelectomy

Thank you Audrey. I think my nerves are kicking in. I'm very ready to get rid of my problems, but still very nervous to go through surgery again. I did not have a good experience post-op last year and I think that is what is making me so fearful this time. I will definitely search for the information you provided. Thank you so much and it is so nice to know that there are other people out there who understand! Thanks!
Unread 08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Trachelectomy

2beleiver,

I'm so sorry you might have to have another surgery. It is very scary to think about surgery again and so soon after your hyst but I encourage you to discuss with your DR all the post op issues you had last time to see if there is anything they can do to help eliminate or make your post op more bearable this time. Don't hesitate to ask for what you want and need. Sometimes forecasting issues can help relieve the stress around them.

Hugs,
Lenee
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Trachelectomy

Hi 2B, I'm not sure if you've had the trach yet, but I had my cervix removed July 31st. The surgery was incredibly easy and so is the recovery. I feel a "freeness" in my groin area that I've never felt in my whole life. I'm glad I went back to surgery and had it out. I too had the "mini" periods that came every month and lasted 3-5 days. My path report said I had "chronic cervicitis". I had pain and tightness in that area ever since the LSH. I'm just one of those Sisters that really should have had them take it the first go around.
As for recovery.. No sweat! This is a cake walk. No pain, just a little swelling. This is alot easier than your hyst was. Please dont' worry.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Trachelectomy

Thank you! It does help to hear that. My surgery is on the 29th. I'm glad yours went well. Did you have back pain? My doctor said that might be one of my biggest parts in recovery due to my history of back problems. Do you mind if I ask how long your hospital stay was? I was more worried about it before I had my pre-op appointment, but now that I have had the surgery explained to me and had the chance to ask questions, I feel better. Of course I still have plenty of fears, but I guess that goes along with any surgery. I have a different mind set going into this surgery and I am really looking forward to moving on. It is so nice to know there are others out there that do understand. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks!!!
Unread 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi 2B, My surgery was suppose to be just an overnight stay. But I had problems with the anesthesia. Please note that the surgery was a breeze. I never felt any pain after surgery. I really needed that cervix outta there. And yes,
your cervix can really mess up you back, bowels, bladder. See, when my dr looked around he saw inflammation every where. Like everything was very very irritated. I am on antibiotics for 30 days because a bad cervix can hold alot of bacteria. I have to say that I am eating and using the restroom better now than I ever have. So encourage your dr to get a good look around in there if possible.
This surg is nothing like the LSH. It's very easy, not alot of swelling. And I'm a sweller. I wish you the
very best. Oh yes, just remember that unlike the LSH yu will have alot of internal stitches. Do not lift, do not strain. Time for a 2nd chance to Pamper the Princess!
Unread 08-24-2006, 05:10 AM
Trachelectomy

Thanks again! You are giving me so much hope for a much better recovery. The main problem last year was I had an adominal incision that ended up with a seroma and it took me from May to September to fully heal, not to mention all of the pain because of my cervix. The doctor did say he will take a good look in there. I just know it is going to go better this time. My main problem in the hospital was migraines and throwing up - A LOT. So I guess there is much to look forward to after recovery and finally living pain free and also period free!
Unread 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Trachelectomy

Hi Sisters, I thought I would post an update. It's been only 7 weeks since they removed my cervix and I feel wonderful. This weekend I walked around Disney and I had so much energy. I should've had this pesky cervix taken from the start. My recovery has been easy and pain free. After all the walking I did feel a little sore but mostly in my legs from all the laying around I've been doing. So Sisters it's all good news. You can have a great outcome if they go back and get your cervix. I'm doing super!
Unread 09-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Trachelectomy

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I'm glad you are doing that great. It's been three weeks since my cervix was removed. Overall, I would say it hasn't been that bad. I still have a lot of cramping when I seem to overdo it. One of the greatest things I have noticed is my headaches seem to be better. I don't know if my cervix had anything to do with that - but something has helped.

Do you work outside of the home? If you do, how much work have you missed? I am going back in two weeks and I sure hope I feel as good as you when I do. I can't wait for the day that I can say I feel great! Thanks again for the update. Take care of yourself.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.