HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy? Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy?

Unread 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Did anyone go NO HRT after hysterectomy?

Hi Sisters,

I have decided after my hysterectomy to not take any hormones. I want to do this naturally, but I was wondering since I am having even my ovaries out is this safe for our bodies not having any more hormones????? What will happen over the next years post hysterectomy with no more hormones.

I had planned on natural menopause, no hrt before hysterectomy and I woud like to do this also after hysterectomy. But everything I read it's no good not to take hormones, and also not good to take them..what's a girl to do????
Unread 08-21-2006, 09:41 PM

I had also decided to go through natural menopause naturally but had a complete hysterectomy at age 49. The onslaught of symptoms were more than I wanted to deal with so I opted to try hormone replacement. After some time and much research, I have read the articles recommending replacement and the ones recommending against it.

I think you just have to become as informed as you can and then weigh your options, risks and benefits. Also, hopefully, your doctor will have some input and advice you can lean on. My symptoms dictated I do something. I have opted for as low a dose as I can use and still receive benefit, hopefully alleviating as many side effects as possible. Once you decide, you need to be diligent with monitoring your health, keeping doctor's appointments and having regular check-ups and tests.

Possibly, you'll have minimal to no symptoms and can supplement your diet with calcium and other vitamins and minerals our hormones supply us with naturally and do well. There are many options available.
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Hi,

I think it depends on health history and your quality of life. If you cannot function in your daily tasks like you feel you should then hrt may help you. You can start on a dose that cuts out most of your symptoms and then over time go to even a lower dose and then eventually get off if you choose. It is not written in stone how much or how long you have to take hrt .

You can see how you do not on it, and go from there. If you find you need something ,then your dr can help you. If you are off or on hrt it is important to get the recommended calcium and vitamins to keep bones strong.

Here is a link from our Hormone Articles on taking hrt or not:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97235.htm

s
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:19 PM

I'm one of ladies that had a tah/bso and didn't use any hrt afterward as long as I could. I went 11 weeks and 6 days before I started.

I did try a few different kinds and I just didn't feel quite right. I had different side effects from different medications.

I decided about a week ago to go back to natural and I'm doing alot better.

You need to do what is best for you. I have done both and prefer to have no hrt.

Here are a few things I highly recommend if you decide not to use hrt.

chillow ~ it's great for sleeping. I've been using mine since 2 weeks after my surgery.

Fan ~ I put it on when I go to bed at night.

Vitamins ~ I highly recommend the hot flash cocktail

Hot Flash Cocktail

• 400 IU vitamin e (mixed d-tocopherols)
• 500-600 mg calcium citrate with 400 IU vitamin d
• 200 mg magnesium citrate
• 500 mg vitamin c with bioflavonoids
• Omega-3 fatty acids (equivalent of 360 mg DHA & 240 mg EPA) (I’m using epo 2600 mg and flaxseed oil 1000mg)

I also use natural progesterone cream. I also started natural estrogen cream.

A suggestion .. if you are going to use natural progesterone cream I highly recommend Dr John Lee's book what your doctor may not tell you about menopause.

Here's his web site for some information.

http://www.johnleemd.com/

I hope this helps..
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Dear Sisterangel,

Those of us with gynecological cancers are generally (although not always) advised to use no HRT at all. I know this was true in my case. The menopause part has been a little rough, but I'm doing OK.

In the case of your hyperplasia, you'll have to ask your doc. I never did hear if you have a gyn/onc, but I surely hope so.

Good luck to you.
Unread 08-23-2006, 04:52 PM

I also can not take HRt because of endrometrial carcenoma. What is a girl to do?
I am coming up 3 weeks post op just found out I had cancer and now dont and now have to go through medical menopause, wnat to do ti naturally and feel ok except for some sweats and headaches.
Has any ones dr advised natural ways?
Please advise
Sue
Unread 08-23-2006, 07:31 PM
patutes

I have a third of an ovary and I hope I can get away with out hrt .I go for a hormone test next week to see if it is producing enough, if not Iam going natural, Ill have something compounded just for what I need. good luck
Unread 08-23-2006, 08:36 PM

what is the Vitamins ~ I highly recommend the hot flash cocktail use for. Hot Flashes, or the vitamins, calcium. Your cocktail sounds like everything I do take by pill every day except the Omga 3 which I was going to start soon. You do not mix these to make a drink do you.

I turned 51 in Aug. July 13 was surgery date I was already going into menopause so they took ovaries too. I am not taking HRT. Sometimes I do get night sweets, but I had those even before surgery. My doctor is not pushing me to go on anything. She says it is up to me. You just have to read the information that is out there and make you own choice I guess. I do take vitimans and calcum Doctor did say to get at least 1200mg of calcum now, but I have been taking 600mg for years. I also will be walking for doing exercizing at home. A 60 minute total exercise plan. I also have been doing this for over 15 years but you would never guess that if you looked at me. oh well
Unread 08-25-2006, 01:03 AM

After my surgery, I didn't know any better. I/ve been on climara patch, estratest, then went cold turkey and took natural supplements. even tried the creme. All of these had side effects and seemed to intensive the side effects and menopausal symptoms. I recently stopped everything!!! My mom had no problems, and maybe I would have been the same. So today, I am on nothing. I do feel better and had no adverse reaction/symptoms except for a hot flash today. Even that has really lessened!!! I am gaining weight, but I will deal with this part seperately. My doctor later told me, when I asked, that some people have to take HRT longer than others. Some don't need anything...it all depends on us. Diet and not smoking is a big plus!! The only thing is that my boyfriend says that I have really changed - less tolerant, snappy, etc... I thought that was natural and our option...LOL... Good luck and god bless us all....
Unread 08-25-2006, 06:38 AM

hello, I had TAH/BSO on 8/20/06 due to atypia etc...... resulting in some adencocarcinoma without invasion (Hooray!) due to this, the dctor said NO HRT for 2 years and then we will discuss. Estrogen increases the possibility of cancer recurring-so I am going with his recommendations. God Be with you! the first time out of bed is a killer! You will feel better. I wish I had known of htis site before surgery! cmcd

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.