HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Why my belly is getting fatter, menopause is the reason, ugh Why my belly is getting fatter, menopause is the reason, ugh

Unread 08-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Why my belly is getting fatter, menopause is the reason, ugh

If any of you are in menopause, here's what my gynecologist told me today. I wondered why all of a sudden my belly has grown bigger, and my hips, and my thighs, despite all the exercising at the gym every week. My doctor told me that since I am in menopause that my estrogen is lower which causes weight gain in women in the belly area. Just what I didn't want to hear. I asked if exercise would help to lose it there, she said probably not, but that exercise couldn't hurt. I'm thinking of buying something to wear underneath my clothes, I think QVC sells it, it's not a girdle but acts like one, and makes you 2 sizes smaller in the waist. I figure, it can't hurt right? Last year I was a size 4, then I went up to an 8, a 10, a 12, now I'm a size 14. I hope that's it for me. Nothing in my closet fits, I ended up going to the thrift store yesterday to buy bigger skirts/pants. I don't want to pay retail yet in case I get bigger, then I'd just have to give the clothes away again. Is anyone else as frustrated as I am?
Here's a hug for everyone
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:29 PM

Yes, I'm that frustrated in the change in my clothes size. I went up a size or 2 a year to now I buy size 18 - pushing 20 with swelly belly, yes I was size 4 or 6. And yes it started when my hormones started to flake out in 1998. Doc at that time didn't reconize the symtoms I presented with, chronic bateria vaganosis infections after decades of consistant yeast infections!! It was 2 more years and more clothes to a nurse Practionier that said - your ovaries are failing. You can call it Early menopause EM, Premature Ovary Failure POF or A symtom of PCOS. Amounts to the same to me - hormones went south and took belly with it. I thought alot about the progesterin in the BCP that might have been causing the weight gain - prog. is the prego hormone. So I am hoping that being on just estrogen might help some - once this darn swelly belly goes away. I know it will go away - It is not here very much in the morning but loves to come ruin my plans in the evenings. So the belly goes somewhere over night and if i could just find out where and trap there - I would tell all my sisters about it -- and we would have it made.
Now that I have the happy ending to this fairy tale - I'm off to bed.
{{{{HUGS TO ALLL}}}}
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM

Hi phonelady, glad to hear I am not alone in this. I was going to go on Progesterone, but my doctor just increased my estrogen hormone dose for my patches to see how that goes. There is breast cancer in my family though, so I'm between a rock and a hard place so to speak, but...I do want to feel normal again, so....I guess I take my chances. I wonder how long I can stay on the patches 'til they cause cancer? My doctor said that it is mostly to do with genetics, that if I'm to get it, I will. I hate this. I tried the Estroven, but they make me upset in the tummy. She did say that Estroven is a plant based estrogen, that it should not cause cancer, so....I might try it again, who knows.
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:36 PM

A good friend of mine who went through natural menopause (she is now 61) told me a few years ago that she "lost her butt and developed a gut." Well I wouldn't mind losing some off my butt....BUT I am going to do my best to conquer any added weight to my gut. Now I'm only 6 weeks out of all this, and I may be all naive hopefulness, but I really think if one is consistent in their exercise and diet (no SUGAR ever!) perhaps what some doctors may tell us is the inevitable won't be. Just a thought.
Unread 08-21-2006, 08:47 PM

Hi luneib
I am right there with you, trying to deal with some weight gain as my body adjusts to hormonal changes. There's a very good article you might find interesting in the hormone jungle articles. It's about Weight and Menopause . That buddha belly as it is called in that article isn't good for us and really needs to be dealt with. I'm trying very hard to do as this suggests and to increase my good carbs and decrease my bad ones. I see some positive results. I wish you well as you deal with the changes and the weight.
's,Rita
Unread 08-21-2006, 09:07 PM

Well, I might as well throw my hat into this ring also. I too have 'lost my butt and developed a gut'. I had blamed it all on the fibroids, then swelly belly. Well, the aliens are gone thanks to the hysterectomy. Sadly, the swelly belly that remains can't be entirely blamed on the surgery.

I was truly despairing when I started to read the article that Rita/Precious Pearl linked for us. I see tho that the article does list some (aargh) dietary options I plan to try along with my return to the gym later this week (I hope).

Good luck to us all!
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:18 PM

I'm thinking of buying something to wear underneath my clothes, I think QVC sells it, it's not a girdle but acts like one

luneib
Did you find out what the name of the girdle is. I really would like to buy one, but I do not watch QVC. I to have had trouble with weight gain since menopause,(Just turned 51 this month) and now the hyst. on July 13. I did exercise before sugery and hoping tomorrow Post op. appointment doctor will release me to exercise again. But like I said even with exercising I have gone up in many clothes sizes. I would love to lose about 25 pounds. It is nice to know I am not alone, but I wish we all could be the size we want to be.
Unread 08-21-2006, 11:48 PM

Being sick before the hyst helped me out. I lost 25lbs and haven't gained it back . It also gave me a clean slate to start eating properly and I gave up drinking(did have a glass of wine for my anniversary though!) I bought the high rise medium support pantie girdle and it holds all the lumps and bumps in place and the swelly belly doesn't ache from jiggling around ($27 for no name brand at Sears for 2 pair- can't do better than that!)
Unread 08-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luneib
If any of you are in menopause, here's what my gynecologist told me today. I wondered why all of a sudden my belly has grown bigger, and my hips, and my thighs, despite all the exercising at the gym every week. My doctor told me that since I am in menopause that my estrogen is lower which causes weight gain in women in the belly area. Just what I didn't want to hear. I asked if exercise would help to lose it there, she said probably not, but that exercise couldn't hurt. I'm thinking of buying something to wear underneath my clothes, I think QVC sells it, it's not a girdle but acts like one, and makes you 2 sizes smaller in the waist. I figure, it can't hurt right? Last year I was a size 4, then I went up to an 8, a 10, a 12, now I'm a size 14. I hope that's it for me. Nothing in my closet fits, I ended up going to the thrift store yesterday to buy bigger skirts/pants. I don't want to pay retail yet in case I get bigger, then I'd just have to give the clothes away again. Is anyone else as frustrated as I am?
Here's a hug for everyone
Sounds just like me, but I was a 10 before all of this Have started drinking tons of water hopeing it will help. I return to my office job on the 31st and none of my dress clothes fit me! I know I am not quite 3 weeks yet but I cant afford to go and buy a new wardrobe to go back to work. Looking at the QVC web site now, boy there are lots of shapers on there, has anyone else tried any of these if so please share with us which ones work best. Im thinking I need one that goes up the waist as I dont want my swelly belly pushed up to my waist giving me a spare tire. Just needing something to help me return to work wearing clothes not my sweats...lol Theyve hired a new manager while ive been out, wonder if he'd let me get away with the sweats instead of my dress pants and skirts...lol..
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliee
I'm thinking of buying something to wear underneath my clothes, I think QVC sells it, it's not a girdle but acts like one

luneib
Did you find out what the name of the girdle is. I really would like to buy one, but I do not watch QVC. I to have had trouble with weight gain since menopause,(Just turned 51 this month) and now the hyst. on July 13. I did exercise before sugery and hoping tomorrow Post op. appointment doctor will release me to exercise again. But like I said even with exercising I have gone up in many clothes sizes. I would love to lose about 25 pounds. It is nice to know I am not alone, but I wish we all could be the size we want to be.

There is a product called Spanx... Oprah swears by it, and I've used it and its helped my swelly belly after surgery. I think QVC's version is by Rhonda Shear but I haven't tried that one.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway