HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Teen daughter with breast stretch marks! Teen daughter with breast stretch marks!

Unread 08-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Teen daughter with breast stretch marks!

My nearly 16-y/o daughter just revealed to me that she's developing stretch marks on her breasts. They are very clear to see, red, and streaked in such a way you can see them over the demi-bra line.

She is about 15 pounds overweight for her height currently; her weight is in her curves (breasts and hips). I didn't even have stretch marks with pregnancy and I gained a lot of weight my my kids, so I don't know where this is coming from. I'm even overweight now by 15 pounds and I don't have stretch marks. She read it might be her diet as one contributing factor?

I'm making an appt tomorrow for her to see a really good dermatologist in the city. She tells me another friend or two has this (one is overweight, the other is normal weight). She is an intelligent, stunningly beautiful girl and I feel so badly for her because she feels ugly over this. I'm also very concerned because I've never heard of this before.

Have you ever heard of this? Is these marks permanent?
Unread 08-22-2006, 02:54 AM

Maybe its a different issue but when I was 13 my hips came in overnight. I had ugly stretch marks from that instantly. 30 some years later, they are still there (they are flesh tone now) if I look for them. I don't think they stayed discolored very long. I thik I would have remembered that as a bathing suit issue and I have no memories of that being a problem.

Best wishes with the derm, there very likely is something he can prescribe to help minimize them. I certainly wouldn't consider surgery though as they do fade quite quickly.

Julie
Unread 08-22-2006, 03:02 AM

I didn't get stretch marks in pregnancy but do have some very faint ones on my thighs from teenage years. As Julie says, you need to really know where to look to see them in adulthood. My understanding is that stretch marks are an inherited factor (except maybe in really extreme weight issues) so maybe she has got that gene from elsewhere in the family. The appointment is a good idea because youngsters listen to a doctor rather than us!

Good luck, the dr wil hopefully be able to help minimise long term effects.
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM

Thanks Laughnowcrylater and Mariani -- I appreciate your kind replies. I do have a few light stretchmarks on my outer thighs if I really look that I believe I got during pregnancy, but surprisingly none on my belly and I had a HUGE belly during pregnancy!

It was reassuring to think they'll probably fade with time. I just feel so sorry for her because I know how self-conscious teens are. I also want to make sure I get this checked out very soon so we can make sure there is nothing we are doing wrong.

I know her breasts grew noticeably in the last several months (from 36A to 36B). I've called a top local dermatologist and I'm waiting to hear back. I need to make sure they will see a patient for this first.

In the meantime, again, I appreciate your kind words. I just felt so sorry for her last night....thanks so much.
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:50 PM

Newgal,
My 14yr old daughter also has strech marks on her breasts. She developed breasts rapidly, and thats when the strech marks developed. She also feels self conscious at times, but it bothers her less and less. We talked about it a few times. I reminded her that everyone has something they feel self-conscious about and they are usually so wrapped up in hoping you don't notice their "problem area", they don't see yours. These teen years are tough for us and them! Best wishes to you both.
Unread 08-23-2006, 04:50 PM

my dd is 15 when she was 14 we got a call from the school saying a teacher noticed scratches on my dd chest..fist i was angry why is a teacher looking at her chest..said she bent over to pick up books and her shirt saggedd..whatever.. any way,i told the nurse you deal with hundreds of kids a year you cant tell the diffrence between strech marks and scratches you need to get glasses...my dd is 120 with c cup..i called the doctor had him look and send a note to school saying it is normal..the chest just grew faster then the skin streched..she also has them on her hips...so it is normal..put some vitamin e on them they will turn white soon...
Unread 08-25-2006, 12:03 AM

My 10 year old has those marks on her chest. They were darker at one time so I do believe they lighten up. I also remember having them in my teen years I don't have any now. My daughter's Dr said she is just growing to fast she got her period this year also. She may catch up with herself soon. I hope so.

Janet ( thanks for the tip about the E )
Unread 08-28-2006, 02:35 PM

I got stretch marks with puberty. All over my hips and breasts - and I was an "absolutely a" cup size - I felt cheated! If I was going to get stretch marks, I could at least have SOMETHING there to "show" for it (not literally)! I'm *real* familiar with stretch marks...from puberty, to weight gain, to pregnancy....and I'll say that they do fade, but I've never known of any to go away. Much like previous posters, the first ones I got aren't real obvious - you have to look for them. But they're definitely there. The newest ones I have (my belly) have faded, but not to skin-tone yet. They're just a tad more orange/pink - peachy? colored than my skin and they're maybe 14-16 months old. They say cocoa butter will prevent them (like, using this every day), but I've heard that's just an 'old wives tale'. Didn't know about the vit E. Thanks!
Unread 08-28-2006, 10:38 PM

I too have these stretch marks on my breasts and they started when I was a teen. I was not overweight, but I was a bit busty and developed quickly. They did fade over time, but I remember choosing my clothes and bathing suits carefully. Mine were a deep purple color...now you can barely see them. I think stretch marks are very common and normal. My husband even has them on his hips and lower back of all places. I do believe that cocoa butter or shea butter lotions and creams help. As a high school teacher I see many young women who have a poor body image. I remind my students and my own daughters that what we see in magazines and on tv is not reality. We all have bumps and blemishes and we're not perfect.
Unread 09-01-2006, 09:12 PM

Thank you ladies, my poor ten year old is so upset over these strech marks on her thighs. Seems she grew over night to me. She won't wear a bathing suit unless the bottoms are 'boy shorts". I had those marks on my chest and over the years they did go away. I hope the same happens to her.

Thanks
Janet TAH BSO

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.