HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Scartchy throat, slight cough-surgery in 2 days! Scartchy throat, slight cough-surgery in 2 days!

Unread 08-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Scartchy throat, slight cough-surgery in 2 days!

Arrrggghhh!!! It figures. I schedule this surgery weeks ago and starting Monday I get a scratchy throat and a slight cough and a slight runny nose. I am really thinking that it is allergies because no one else in the house is exhibiting any symptoms like mine and we all have been in close quarters for about a week.

Can allergies affect the surgery? I am not having a hard time breathing through my nose (I'm not stuffed up), but I do have a scartchy throat and a cough. There is no way in I can cancel or reschedule this surgery. My husband travels for work and has taken two weeks off, my mom is flying in from out of state after getting time off of work, my aunt is coming in after getting time off of work....and my grandparents are coming in. I cannot expect these people to reschedule their lives again (well, I can with my husband) because of a minor cold or slight allergies.

Should I even tell my doctor? Or should I just wait it out and see if it clears up? Several girlfriends have said they hve had surgery before with colds, it's only fevers that the OR is concerned with.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Unread 08-22-2006, 06:59 AM

I think that calling and letting your dr know is a good idea. I got a bit of the sniffles a few days before my hyst and my dr told me that unless I was running a fever or congested, surgery would proceed as scheduled. He also gave me some meds and suggestions that helped. My tah/bso went as planned. I think that waiting until the last minute might be more of a worry to you. I hate not knowing what to expect myself and tend to fret - that causes me to not sleep etc.....

Best wishes, i'll be praying that all works out well for you.

S
Unread 08-22-2006, 08:01 AM

My surgery is tomorrow and my allergies/asthma are really acting up today! I'm guessing it's from stress because my stomach is a bit tied up in knots. Try some hot broth or herbal tea to help your throat. :0) Call you DR to find out what you can take for your allergies, too!
Unread 08-22-2006, 09:13 AM

I was getting a scratchy throat and the terrible feeling behind the eyes a couple days ago. I took that emergen-C since it was 4 days till surgery and I didn't want to call the doc on a sunday (probalby a bad idea, so CALL YOUR DOCTOR) I felt much better the next morning. The vit C must have helped. I know some doctors suggest vit C right up to and after surgery for better wound healing. Also there is vit C added to orange juice and cereals. But I would still Call you Doctor and run it all by him. It could just be allergies and stress. IT's that time of year, mold on the ground, trees etc. Gargle with water and peroxide. I drank ALOT of water and trying to stay away from stores.
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:14 AM

Hi, I developed a runny nose and a cough a couple days before surgery. I have never been a fan of orange juice, but I made sure I had a big glass in the morning and with every meal. Also I boiled some water and added a couple lemons right before bed it opened my sinuses and controlled my cough. They say that drinking warm water before surgery also helps with gas that can sometimes occur after surgery. I don't think you have to worry about having your surgery postponed as long as you don't have a fever. Best of luck and take care! Melanie
Unread 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Just started happening to me and I completely freaked out. Then yesterday I started getting chills and my asthma started acting up--all signs of an impending sinus infection with me. I woke up this morning and went to the doctor and they put me on antibiotics. Called my gynecologist, called pre-admission testing and told them the added medication for the list...and they both said that by 8 days from now, the whole things should be cleared up..just tell the anesthesiologist the morning of the surgery. They all just said as long as you dont have a fever...everything is a "go"... I was a freak in the doctors office...I was just saying..."you have to give me something..if this surgery does not happen and I have to wait even one more day, someone is going to have to die...I am going insane"....they were laughing but I wasnt kidding...LOL...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.